All reviews calke abbey village shop stay there again stayed here martin
Reviewed May 6, 2016 via mobile

I felt compelled to write a review after the harsh one left recently. We had a comfortable nights sleep and a good breakfast. We were attending a 40th party in the village so this worked perfectly for us as we could walk there. For the money it hits the mark.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2016

Having read the rather dated reviews on Trip Advisor we were looking forward to staying in a 'shabby chic' B & B. It was not chic or quirky but very shabby. The whole place is tired and dated and in great need of decoration and refurbishment. It was pokey with no room for comfy chairs to watch the TV. There were raw plugs holes left in the wall where a previous TV had been sited. There was paint peeling off the walls in the lounge/bedroom and black mold in the bathroom where there had been a previous leak. The single room was stark and very cold.The clock on the wall didn't work.
Although there was an ironing board there was no iron and also no hairdryer.The smoke alarm didn't work. The crockery and cutlery were all odd. The landlord seemed reluctant to provide a cooked breakfast, as we had an early start. He said there was plenty of cereals and he would bring across some bread we could toast. We insisted on some thing cooked for 7.45a.m. This he did provide, and I must say it was most enjoyable.Another plus was that the WiFi worked really well. Mobile phone coverage in this area is almost nil.
At £80 a night this B & B is desperately over priced and frankly not worth it. They really need to up their game if they are charging this kind of price. So sorry but it was not a particularly pleasant experience.

Room tip: Don't stay here
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank EnglandRuddles
Reviewed August 10, 2015

I was on a course at Calke Abbey and wanted somewhere close and this is literally 2 minutes from the entrance. I avoid chain hotels whenever possible and this is perfect for me, a little quirky :) . It is next to the village shop, who run it. It looks like a quality "Granny Flat" with a lovely comfy bed, small kitchen area stocked with 'proper' milk and plenty of cereals if wanted. The toilet area is very clean with a superb shower and a 2nd single bedroom. The chap who showed me to my room was very friendly and allowed me to park my car on his drive. I opted for the full english breakfast and had it in the tea rooms next to the shop but you can have it in your room if you wish, the breakfast was very substantial and delicious. The ONLY reason I have not given it 5/5 is the decoration is a little tired but it is very clean. Would stay again

Room tip: There is only 1 room. I booked it via Expedia and got a great deal too.
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2015

I work on the road and stay in hotels constantly. This is the nearest you will feel from being at home.
Lovely comfortable room and cooking facilities for meals.
When you are on the road you get sick of eating breakfasts that are included and you eat them because it is the done thing.
This has facilities to make your own snacks and the owners even supply fresh milk an d butter and cereal ect to give it the home feeling.
I have stayed in hotels for 20 years plus but theses guys have got the job sorted.
Wanted to stay another night but they are booked.
Lovely village with two good pubs.....with good menus if you want to milk the expenses,but it was great to have a comfortable night in for me with all the amenities.
Well done Stables great job......Gary / Sunderland, will be back when in area Again.

Room tip: If you are constantly on the road stay here it is home form home to a certain extent.
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2015 via mobile

Found this delightful little place looking for somewhere to stay so could attend cousin's wedding.

This was just a couple hundred yards from the entrance to Calke Abbey, but the driveway up to the Abbey is about 2 miles, so make sure you have a taxi or means to get up there!

This is a lovely little self contained place with fridge, microwave, toaster and other appliances and a pity we only stayed the one night so didn't use anything.
Lovely full English breakfast made for us and the owners are lovely and look after you.

Highly recommend this place and if you're anywhere near here you should definitely try to book this place. *****

Date of stay: May 2015