“Very well run”

Parador de Monforte de Lemos
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We loved this beautiful parador on a hill overlooking the countryside - excellent service, great cooking and very quiet. The town below is a bit disappointing but the hotel can arrange side trips further afield. We only stayed one night but wished we had stayed another

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TimSY2

Reviewed April 5, 2012

This was our last stop on a short tour of various Paradors and proved my favourite. A view shared by friends who had done a longer tour. We arrived earlier than others in the party and from the moment of arrival the service was exceptionally helpful and friendly. After a longish journey and a short walk we enjoyed an excellent light lunch with special requests all accommodated with pleasure. The local Almeda white wine was fantastic and certainly encouraged a lazy afternoon. Definitely service with a smile that was keen to please. The property is a glorious oasis with stunning views. Our room was straightforward but comfortable and we enjoyed a wonderful nights sleep after the chaos/noise of Santiago. The service in the evening was willing but some confusion with language barrier. Breakfast was excellent and again service spot on. Cocktails were generous and beautifully and individually prepared with intriguing fruit additions that proved popular with all. A disabled member of our party had a room perfectly suited to his needs and the overall property was user friendly on this front. I really enjoyed this place and at this time of year would heartily recommend as a great and relaxing getaway if you want some peace and quiet. The monks knew what they were doing when they picked this spot! I would certainly love to return.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mustanga
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We booked into this hotel with a delightful young lady and were given a room with a views which was great. The room was clean but not spotless like we had become accustom to in all the other places we had stayed in Portugal and Spain.
There did not seem to any other staff in the hotel as we went to the spaw area and no one
the next mortning at breakfast (8:30) which was a massive display but on further look at it I think it was leftovers from some other time The bread was stale the cus fruit not fresh looking and all the hot items very cool and greasy and to make matters worse the lady working the room was sour and unfriendly. when she finally appeared and we asked for coffee and the only thing she said was room number and then disappeared.
the room must have been attached to a room with some kind of stairs and there seemed to be children running up and sown them until late in the night

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Papa_JCalgaryCanada
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We stayed at this wonderful Parador for 2 days in June. The view from the Parador is outstanding. But what makes this Parador a truly wonderful experience is the Staff. They are all very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very good and so was the breakfast they offered. Beautiful rooms and great location. Just a short walk down the hill to town. Take a taxi back up to the Parador it's only 5 Euros from anywhere in town.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2010

This review is nearly a year overdue, but my wife and I stayed here for a short spell last May during a trip through Galicia. Monforte de Lemos happens to be my father's birthplace, and seeing as how we stayed at another parador on this trip, we thought this would be a great place to stay.

The first and most obvious feature of this hotel is its unbelievable location. It's location at Monforte's highest point makes it impossible to miss, although it's a good idea to consult a map on the drive in so you can find the route heading up the hill.

We found ample parking at the top, partly due to the fact that there is a small conference/business centre on the property site. Once we arrived, we checked in after a bit of a wait, and were pleased to see that this hotel has done an excellent job of retaining its historical character, something the Spanish chain of paradors does a great job with. Our room was spacious and our washroom was modern and clean. The view from the room wasn't earth shattering, but not everyone gets an a-one view!

We didn't take advantage of all of the services at the hotel as we were quite exhausted, but we heard good reviews of the hotel restaurant and can attest that the breakfast buffet was superb. If and when we return, we will definitely come back to this sleepy piece of history. Monforte may be a sleepy town, but the view from above is quite spectacular!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hfxtravellor
Reviewed October 30, 2009

This was my first time staying in a parador and I'm glad I stayed in this particular one. I was told by Spanish locals that the town is boring (understandably from their perspective as they've probably seen it all and it's typical to them) but I found Monforte charming and off the international tourist route which was what I wanted to experience. It was worth going out of my way to come to this town and stay in this Parador.

Monforte is a little out of the way but can be reached by ALSA bus (I came via Leon). The parador is not really walking distance from the town centre when you have luggage as it's on top of a hill so if you do not have your own transport, it is suggested you obtain the local taxi phone number from the hotel before arriving so that you can ring for a taxi to collect you from the bus/train station - though I'm sure the hotel can also arrange this for you if you ring them upon arrival.

Local Galician cuisine and wine is available in the restaurant which was where I ate all my meals during my 2 day stay. I have read mixed reviews regarding meals at Parador restaurants in general but I found this one to be nice, good service and an experience I would recommend.

I also suggest popping over to the town's tourist office first so that you can plan what to see and when (there are differing opening/closing times - typically Spanish!!) but there is definitely enough stuff to see and do in this (quiet) town to keep one occupied for at least a couple of days and there is cable TV (with english channels) in the hotel room. A wedding took place when I arrived at this hotel and that was a lovely site. There's a seemingly forgotten about private garden at the hotel if you want a short walk as well as spa, gym and small swimming pool (though I didn't use these facilties). There's also an internet computer for guests use but it was too slow.

Walking up/down the hill to/from the town you pass through tiny village lanes and remnants of medieval style stone walls - it's enchanting.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We like this hotel - our second visit in as many years. The hotel is as one would expect of the Paradors and we got a good rate of 70 Euros per room including breakfast. That's cheaper than b & b in the UK!

This is an area off the beaten track of many tourists but there is some spectacular countryside around. The River Minho is one of the big rivers of Spain with beautiful scenery. Plenty of mountain roads to explore and loads of wildlife - birds of prey especially.

Good rooms and the bathrooms have now been upgraded.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monforte de Lemos
#4 of 4 in Monforte de Lemos
NH Ourense
NH Ourense
#1 of 13 in Ourense

Been to Parador de Monforte de Lemos? Share your experiences!