“Great location, poor food”

El Tragamar de Calella
Ranked #33 of 158 Restaurants in Palafrugell
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tragamar is located at Platja del Canadell, in the Costa Brava. A restaurant with wonderful sea views from the inside, thanks to large windows and the terrace, just steps from the sand. In its kitchen there are fresh fish: carpaccio of tuna at sushi style, a delicious rice with lobster, eggs with baby eels, squids at Andalusia style, crayfish gratin with a traditional fresh pasta or grilled sardines. Also meat, like a delicious beef carpaccio, and of course, desserts: apple tatin, ice cream, recuit of “Fonteta” with honey, seasonal fruits, among others. Mediterranean food
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Location of restaurant is great, right on the beach and in the evening is very pleasent with the waves crashing in. Poor menu selection and for the price very expensive.

1  Thank jay35h

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Having called in for coffee and brandy one evening, and being made very welcome by the staff, we returned the folowing evening for a meal. Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted, being remembered from the previous evening. When asked if we had reserved a table, it was a Friday in August after all, we replied no. They said they were full, but then hurriedly found a table for us, and we enjoyed an excellent meal. THe food served is relatively simple, but excellent, and the service very good.I had the steak hachee (Hamburger!) and my partner had sardines. I do recommend you move to the bar for a coffee and brandy, if you are so inclined. Watching the brandy being poured is something else, and the barman is extremely friendly. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Magicwelshwizard
Reviewed August 18, 2013

A step from the beach in the lovely seaside town of Calella, and you are sitting on the terrace of Tragamar....this little treasure in the heart of the Costa Brava is really worth the trip. Its a reminder of what old time beach side restaurants used to be like....good food and a fantastic view. I will go back......and also good value for the money.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Lovely restaurant serving great seafood right on the beach in this Spanish family resort. Great salads and seafood. Pleasant if a bit haphazard on the service front (hey, you're on your holiday so don't sweat. recommended.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

But it isn't! My sister and I ate here with two friends and everything about the experience was exquisite. To be fair one of the friends has a summer home in the area, is Catalan and has been going there for years so that could have made a difference in our service but I doubt that it did in the food. Neither my sister or I could imagine we would ever eat octopus carpaccio but a large platter of it (with some slightly hot peppers) was a starter and we practically scrapped the plate it was so good. We also had a small terrine of some kind of local baked shrimp that the others enjoyed (I'm allergic so can't vouch for it), bread and ham, and literally the best fried squid I've had in my life. For entrees we had two paellas, one traditional fisherman style one with shellfish (the others commented that it was too salty) and a sausage and mushroom one for me. Two bottles of wine were excellent and although an apple tart sounds like a boring dessert they make one that is fluffy, delicious and different from any we've ever had elsewhere. Our other dessert was a local soft cheese baked with honey. It was good but not off the charts. We had a window right inside the door and looked out on the sea and a full moon. I can't comment on the cost as this was a treat from our friends but the place was fabulous and we do plan to go back - at least for lunch - before leaving the area.

1  Thank KayMarco