“Cheap and cheerful”

Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Malgrat de Mar
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I booked this as a last minute holiday for myself and my two teenage children. The beach is literally across the street so there's no worries if you missed out on a sunbed around the pool haha. The pool by the way is a bit on the small side, and the hotel very basic but clean. Most of the guests staying at this hotel were German, but we didnt have a problem with this. The staff at this cosy family run hotel were all brilliant and friendly, we were made to feel very welcome. We wanted a relaxing holiday and that's exactly what we got :)

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Amythefitone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
southern england
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I was booked for another visit to the Planamar on 26th October and expected to be able to write another positive review of this hotel.
However, due to the fact that they suddenly decided to close the hotel early –apparently they did not have enough bookings – I was not able to stay there and they advised me 2 days before I was due to go.
They decided to move me to the Royal Sun in Santa Susanna, which although it has a higher star rating, is not in the resort where I wanted to stay.
It seems to be HTOP policy to open and close hotels early and late in the season on a random basis at short notice, it has happened to me a few times before, and I am now getting sick of it. They seem to think it is acceptable to take bookings for a named hotel and then just move you around as they see fit. I doubt I will book this hotel again nor any of the other hotels in the HTOP chain.
When will they learn that people book the hotel they want to stay in for their own reasons and if I wanted AOA then I would book that way. They don’t seem to understand that all the resorts are different in their make up and someone who books Malgrat or Santa Susanna may not find Lloret or Calella a good alternative even if they get upgraded from 3* to 4*.
I suppose I was lucky in some ways in that I was only along the road from where I booked but others were not so lucky.
Anyway I have given marks of 1* this time for this hotel, as I cannot give no *.

Room Tip: normally any room with a sea view is better than being at the back of the hotel. if you are booking...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jimd-f
HTOPHotels, Director of Sales at H.TOP Planamar, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Sir,

I do really regret the early hotel close this year. We have been working hard in the last years to provide the most accurate opening and closing date of the hotels, but many times we are not succeeding in our forecasts due sales don't depend only on us.

That's why is so difficult in the low season, in the small hotels, to set up an ending date, and if for unfortunate reason we need to switch some customers we always try to offer them the closest hotel to their chosen one.

You also need to know that we inform all agents when we find that we need to close some hotel, but they many times refuse to inform the customer prior arrival to avoid to face the problem or to avoid cancellations. I am not saying that's your case, but it happens many times.

I am really sorry for disturbing you. I know you are a very loyal customer of the H·TOP Planamar, and I really hope you will come back to visit us again.

If you do, please, do not hesitate to tell us in advance, in order to us to give you a free upgrade.

Truly yours,

JMV
Commercial Director
H TOP HOTELS

Travelers are raving about these Malgrat de Mar hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Great central location. Room fine, cleaned every day. Friendly staff. Food was edible but bland and nothing Spanish. We are not fussy eaters but we did not look forward to meal times. Value for money but we would not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a sunny balcony overlooking the beach ( and railway line but it is not as bad as it sounds...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ilovetravel1967
newport, wales
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and i have just returned from the H-Top Planamar hotel and after reading a few reviews i was quite unsure what i was getting myself into. I had no reason worry. The hotel was dated but was in a great location right on the front, near to the old town and also close to Malgrats bars and eateries. Staff were friendly and always had time to advise on things to do. We stayed All Inclusive and the food was, although basic, different every night and tasted great. Drink was the usual local stuff, not as strong as the branded drinks, but its not about getting wasted every night.
Our room was very generous in size and the maids came in every day to clean and make the beds.
All in all it suited our purpose of a quiet relaxing holiday.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank wyllieboy16
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

just returned from this hotel ,I will never recommend it or return !!! it was a scruffy little back street hovel with repetitive food and the entertainment was garbage and the rooms were tiny and very basic ,almost clean . the clientele enjoyed the all inclusive alcohol and bought some at breakfast before the all inclusive started !!! thankfully this hotel was closing for the season and we were upgraded to a four star hotel in santa sussanna .otherwise I would have gladly booked a flight home .

Room Tip: we moved rooms and it was still noisy
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank tiger612013
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Hotel staff we're extremely friendly and very helpful. Room's were basic but extremely clean. After reading a few reviews on trip advisor regarding the food I must admit I was a little worried. The food was delicious and apart from a bit of salad I ate something different everyday. I'd advise to go all inclusive and would definitely stay again

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank mrlion1975
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Just back from having a great break. A lot to do with our enjoyment was the fantastic company. The hotel is a bit old fashioned but we liked this. Rooms were small but had evreything you need and were very clean with maid service daily. Food was of a good standard and we always found something to eat at the buffet. I don't think that I would go to this hotel for a fortnight during high season as the pool and pool area is quite small but for a week late break it did us fine. Good location facing the beach and our rooms on the 3rd floor had fantastic seaviews. One downside to this hotel is that you can only get one drink at a time under the all inclusive option, although we never had to queue for a drink.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing seaview
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 19 in Malgrat de Mar
ALEGRIA Maripins
ALEGRIA Maripins
#3 of 19 in Malgrat de Mar

Been to H.TOP Planamar? Share your experiences!