“Good Value Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Malgrat de Mar
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Good Value Hotel”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have just returned from this hotel and I was very pleased with my choice, the location is nice and only a few minutes walk the the beach. Hotel was spotlessly clean and rooms were perfectly Ok (nothing particularly exciting but then how long do you spend in your room?!).

The staff were very helpful and check-in was the quickest I have ever experienced. The food was also surprisingly good for an all inclusive as I have been on many before and the buffet food is always just 'OK' but here it was actually really nice and very hot. I can recommend the slow cooked beef which just melted in your mouth, also the bits in the vegetarian area were tasty and on the night before we left they produced some kind of beef chilli with baked tortillas that were gorgeous. I also recommend their cocktails and the Cava was fantastic!

I would definitely visit this hotel again if I wanted to stay in the same area as compared to many of the others we passed during our transfer this was definitely one of the nicest.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BreezeAM
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Nice hotel, lovely room with a lot of space to walk around (but the 4* site as the 3* is totally diffetent) i would rather pay a bit more and stay in 4* as did, nice and clean bathroom. Air condition was working very good. Fantastic food, everyone can find something nice to eat, cold and hot dishes. Nice and friendly staff.
Hotel 5min from the beach and 10 min from the train station. Good community to Barcelona only 1h but might be some delays then up to 1.5h. When in malgrat the mar go visit Blanes and the botanic garden- beautyful!!!
The bad thing was that being on half board we had to buy a drink for evening meal as not included even a cup of tea- disappointed .... Also no kettle at all in the room (we had a baby so needed for milk) therefore we had to pay €20 deposit +€7 as a payment, the same with iron:€10 deposit +€2 as a payment. Overall anything extra you had to pay even for the mattress at the pool even if all inclusive...
But still would stay again in this hotel but all inclusive next time as we spend a lot of money for eating dinner in restaurants and drinks in 10days

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Delfiniada
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I came back home a little bit more than a week ago, impressions and emotions have subsided since then. So I can calmly tell you about my holidays and the hotel itself. The hotel is located in some distance from the sea, it is not the first line, of course, and not even the second. I would say it's the third line, but in seven, well, up to ten minutes walking you can overcome this distance by foot more or less easily.

Three-star corps windows on one side overlook to a veg patch, where unknown farmers grow some unknown vegetables, on the other side windows overlook to a inner yard with a swimming pool. My balcony was just looking to the pool. There is no partitions between balconies and it's rather easy to climb over and visit your friends as well as strangers. Do not think that locking the balcony door will save your things while you are out. Yes, the balcony door can be locked, but the other side of the window can also be easily moved away from the wall. Welcome to all! I guess, this is done to promote their additional service of paid-safe for 20 euros a week. Who knows, who knows...

Wi-fi is free, but a stable connection is only in the reception area, in the rooms a stable Wi-Fi connection is hard to catch. There are several computers in the hall downstairs as well with internet connection with commercial access for € 2 per 1 hour. In no case, never, make such a stupid thing! I have been trying to upload a single photo of 3 Mb to Facebook during this hour! Computers performance just irritating. There was a feeling that they were collected from old parts on dumps and a thrift shops. Steam irons should be available at the reception on demand, just for a couple of euros for a half of a day. True opportunity to take advantage of this failed several times - two or three irons, which seem to have Luna Hotel, were constantly taken by someone else all the time of my staying there.

The staff in general is quite polite, at the reception one can wait five or ten minutes, until someone of them becomes available. I must admit, in most cases they respond to requests favorably and friendly. The cleaning staff in the room sometimes confused the number of towels. In my case they were always mistaken to the lower side. =) A few times it happened that two of us in a double room got only one clean set of towels. Thus, additionally I had to solve that problem as well.

We took only breakfast, so I can only tell about the morning portion. The food is very average quality, in principle, but for three stars it's more or less normal. Selection of fresh vegetables is reduced to immature tomatoes and coarsely chopped lettuce. All the rest of the semi-finished products were from the nearest supermarket within the lowest price range, judging by quality at least. However, to choose something from this seeming diversity was still possible. It is fair to say that there were pancakes and toast baked on demand in real time manner.

Much worse it became when the hotel began to experience some organizational problems and every morning before one could have breakfast, one had to wait in a long line, simply becouse Hotel lacks plates and glasses for all guests. It's interesting to note, that this outrage has caused almost no protests among European tourists. As far as I know, only one group of tourists from Russia submitted a complaint to the Ministry of Tourism of Catalonia about the problem. The rest of the guests, sadly obeying the herd instinct, obediently waiting for their prepaid breakfast in the queue. Apparently, the situations with freedoms in Europe today is far from being well, when even such a boorish Soviet-style service does not cause any protests among the European citizens.

A single word must be said about the animation in the hotel. Chief animator there Michele Angelo (not quite sure about the name spelling). Aged and stooped man with a bald head and a funny sticking up ears. As many times as I have been at these events - bike rides, Watsu or tea ceremony, he's always late. 10 minutes late and 15 and sometimes even more.

One time, when the whole group was about to a bike ride through the city he was late more than 20 minutes, so that the whole group moved on it's own without a guide who has barely caught up with us at the road intersection and turned us back. During the stop he generously offered us tea with superfluity of sugar, so that people having drank this very sweet tea in the hot weather started to expierence fierce thirst and were quite ready to order a lot of cool soft drinks at the next stop in the cafe probably affiliated with the commercial interests of this venturesome animator. And they did ordered a lot!

There was also a funny thing. At tea ceremony this funny man danced belly dance, that is the tea ceremony in his performance was the women's version! While looking at him I would never have thought that he did not consider himself as a man. May be such an old age may have an effect.

Overall, the hotel is quite average. According to the Egyptian-Turkish standards more or less decent, by European standards the quality of service definetely lacks and for three stars of course it's barely not enough. Stay there if only you have absolutely no other options - this could be my advice. Good luck!

Room Tip: Stay there if only you have absolutely no other options - this could be my advice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hozyain M
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Good hotel. Also its good place, close to beach.
Good personal. Its quite to sleep. The hotel luxury room was not bad. Beautiful poor garden.
Its very close to Santa Susanna

What is not good:
- eating
- queues to dining room

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Viktor L
east yorks
Reviewed September 20, 2012

just returned from 4 night all inclusive stay in 4* part of hotel, loved the hotel, food was good (repetitive, but was ok for 4 nights ), service was good every one was helpful, rooms comfortable and very clean,pool area always clean and plenty of beds , also loved the indoor "spa " pool and jacuzzi, the wotsu class a definite highlight .We took the train to Barcelona and found it easy and cheap as mentioned by other reviewers. Now the downside the resort had a very run down feel, we walked the full length of malgret / santa susanna and could not find one place to have a nice drink/ authentic spanish meal, in fact the resorts didn't feel Spanish at all just burger/ pizza places with cheap plastic garden chairs .Will not be returning which is a shame as hotel was good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jackieEastYorks
Oxford UK
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Just back from a weeks All Inclusive stay at the Luna Club and have to say was extremely disappointed with the holiday. Booked the 4* A/I package with last minute.com, travel was with Monarch from Gatwick to Barcelona.
Flight to Barcelona was fine, from landing to hotel the transfer took over 3 hours, arrived at hotel at 10.20pm to be told there was no food available as "restaurant" was closed at 10pm, but we could always go down the road and find a bar !!! We were allocated what was probably the worst room in the 4* part of the hotel, on the 3rd floor, overlooking the bins and garden and right next to the road that ran past the hotel. Didn't ask for a change as we didn't intent spending much time in the room (bad decision as you can read later). Room safe was 10 euros deposit, and don't lose your receipt or you dont get it back ! Towels from reception for the pool were available but again 10 euros each deposit.

Breakfast next morning was in the "restaurant" in the 3* part of the hotel. As one would expect it was a buffet style, help yourself breakfast. Fresh fried eggs or pancakes or omlettes always available, as were cereals, yogurts, bacon, etc, etc. No service at all, you had to queue up and fetch your own tea or coffee or fruit juice. Found there was no sugar at all only sweetners, the tea and coffee from the machines were un drinkable.

Lunch was in the same room, this cannot be described as a "restaurant", it was no better than a roadside cafe, again queue up for a drink, help yourself to cutlery, and food and the food was not of a very good quality, any vegetables on offer were always the frozen over cooked variety usually with a non descript sauce over them. Found the meat to be tasteless too. What amazed me the most was that people were having to clear their own plates away! There was usually only two girls "clearing away", or mainly folding napkins for the evening, letting the customers do their work for them with the plates.

Evening meal was even worse, people started queing up for dinner at 7.30pm and the "restaurant" didn't open till 7.45pm. You had to wait and be seated, at least the tables had napkins and cutlery on them, however, the salt & pepper pots were having to be shared between tables!. Once allocated a table, it was the usual thing to queue up for a drink then join the queue for the buffet. There was never any butter in the evenings for the bread rolls either. Now I am not a fussy eater, the only thing I dont like is pasta, I found it really difficult to find food that I liked apart from the salads. The childrens corner was always either Hamburger and chips or hotdog and chips.

The pool area was fine, always sun beds available however towels were being put out from 7.30am for the best spots, there was a charge of 1 euro per mattress per day for the sunbeds if you chose to have one.
The bar was ok too, staff were friendly enough. Entertainment was not brilliant in the evenings, however the general age of the evening customers averaged about 70 I think, most of the youngsters were out partying.

Back to our room..... Over the road there was an apartment block, on the 4th floor out on the balcony was a large dog (rottweiller I think). he was out there every day, lunchtime and all evening, barking at everything and everyone who went past, needless to say this was very annoying when we were in our room trying to relax either at lunchtime or early evening before dinner.

Friday & Saturday evenings were an absolute nightmare. We were in bed about 11pm, and could quite clearly hear the music and screams from party goes in the nightclub at the bottom of the road. From Midnight till gone 6am on both nights there were streams of youngsters, fuelled by booze walking past our hotel and just under our room screaming, shouting and generally making as much noise as they possibly could. There were cars being driven at speed down the road with drivers doing handbrake turns and music blaring out of open windows.
Fortunately we came home on the Sunday as I could not have possibly stood another night like this.

Pick up was about 5 hours before our flight was actually due to leave, and I was glad to be going home.

My husband and I have had many A/I holidays in various parts of the world and this has to be among one of the worst we have encountered, both in terms of "service" or lack of it, and the noise. For youngsters it may be fine who want to party all night long, but for us, never again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms or rooms overlooking the garden in the 4* are extremely noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 19 in Malgrat de Mar
Hotel Rosa Nautica
Hotel Rosa Nautica
#5 of 19 in Malgrat de Mar

Been to Hotel Luna Club? Share your experiences!