“Very spotless and clean hotel”

Sumus Hotel Monteplaya
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Malgrat de Mar
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just got back from a 3 night stay at Monteplaya. One of the cleanest hotels I've stayed in, went half board, food was ok, something there every night to choose from, not many English people and felt that didn't cater very well for the English. No entertainment. Lovely beach across the road. Had a really nice time, this was a good price for a short break, you get what you pay for and I think it was worth it, wouldn't recommend for a 2 week holiday as weather is very unpredictable and not much to do at night but ideal for a short break.

Room Tip: Not many sea view rooms. But found they were better than basic.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Martine197201

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Extras... After having chosen your hotel, you shouldn't really have to be confronted with having to pay extras for the following:
To use the safe in the room, you had to pay e28 per week, it wasn't even a modern one, you were given the lock and then had to carry the key with you.
Wi fi had to be purchased at a cost of E2 per hour. This would work out costly if you needed it everyday.
The tv, which was a tiny portable one was free but you had to pay a deposit for the remote control which was. E7.00
The fridge in the room needed to be rented for the week and this was a cost of E15 per week.
The sports ie gym, mini golf mentioned in the hotel description is not even on site and will you cost you extra example E5.00 per day , per person to use the gym
If you add all these extra costs up then over a weeks holiday , you will have to find and extra E99 plus. Surely these exact extra amounts should be mentioned in the description , had we have known we would have used this extra money to stay in a 4 star, where these items in my experiences are standard and free.
Rooms- we were allocated 2 rooms - both these rooms overlooked the adjoining hotels balconies, there was a great loss of privacy .
The rooms were the most basic rooms I have ever stayed in, the colour scheme was drab and gave a dingy feel. There were no pictures on any of the walls, the tv was the smallest and was most outdated in this day and age.
The shower was one of those old rubber ones and kinked so you did not get a good flow completely out of place in this day and age
The hotel itself was very clean, but the common areas were very outdated .

Animation , they advertise animation, however the girl lacked personality and failed to engage with all the holiday makers, she seemed to do ok with some of the children. Apart from aqua gym, there was nothing else for the adults. This needs to be addressed or removed altogether from the description.
Evening entertainment, this was very poor and most holiday makers went to the hotel next door, or sat on their balconies which overlooked the Reymar hotel. Some of the acts were cringeworthy with the exception of the Brazilian samba dancers who were excellent!

Food - the food was good and always fresh however , understandably in the current climate they did cut corners. This showed for example - the bacon which was actually chopped and shaped ham, the cakes which were fresh out of a packet and the cheapest quality. The fruit juices are powdered and not fresh and the coffee tasteless and weak. Fortunately if you like fish/seafood then you won't be dissapointed.

The pool should have a warning that it is very deep and the steps to get out are in the deep area, the 'shallow area' is only shallow for adults. I would certainly not recommend children or non swimmers to stay in this hotel. The quiet upper pool has lots of signs which nobody takes notice of or enforces..this pool is used as a children's pool and I quite understand why.

We got the feeling that most of the staff were not happy, they never engaged pleasantly with their clients and some customer care training is definitely needed, definatly for the reception staff anyway who were just miserable.

The hotel could be so much better, by offering a proper pool bar service with ice creams and drinks, instead most people went to the local shop..1 minute walk to get cheap soft drinks , snacks and ice creams to eat around the pool.

The hotel lacks atmosphere, I would recommend that you shop around before you book, I booked this as it was the no 1 hotel in Malgrat and I really can't understand why - I saw many other hotels that seemed better.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room that back onto the Reymar, so you can sit on your balcony and watch their en...
7  Thank Stfrancis
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and two children aged 9 and 5 have just returned from a 10 night stay at Hotel Monteplaya. This hotel overall is very good, spotlessly clean and food is lovely, we stayed full board. The negatives I would say is that the evening entertainment is very bad, especially for children. The kids club is virtually non existent despite the one member of the animation team doing her best! We tended to go to the other hotels in the area for entertainment after dinner which was fine. Also the cost of the WiFi is ridiculous, 2 euros for one hour. Despite this, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Request a superior room as these are lovely, but if you are travelling with children they probably w...
1  Thank Sandra S
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My sister and I have Just got back from staying at The Hotel Monteplaya for 7 nights. From the moment we arrived we was made to feel very welcome, The man on reception could not do enough for us and this carried on during our complete stay,( sadly we did not get his name! ) this is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in! The choice of food is excellent. The room we had was very clean and modern and comfy. Location is great right by the beach, shops and bars what more could you ask for. I will return here as soon as I can and very highly recommend this hotel. Once again thank you Hotel Monteplaya .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank suer592
Reviewed August 27, 2013

First holiday in Spain with my wife & two young kids aged 5 & 3 travelling with Ferris. Good friendly hotel. Stayed on half board, food which was buffet style was fine especially the desserts.
Before the holiday i purchased a Spanish sim card from ebay which I activated on arrival in Spain (Vodafone ES) but never managed to get a wi-fi signal in my room. I think that this is due to the number of building & the surrounding hotel. I did manged to get a signal outdoors in the children's play area & in the streets. There is an option to purchase the hotels wi-fi which would be very costly.Would certainly stay here again.

4  Thank Dennis9489
Reviewed August 26, 2013

we had our second holiday with Ferris staying at this fabulous hotel. we were given two rooms with a sea view - both had been refurbished to a very high standard. as per usual everything was fabulous- polite staff, great food, clean hotel- staff were constantly cleaning!
hightly recommend this hotel. did have some noise due to being on front of hotel but thats the same anywhere. looking forward to booking our next years holiday there !!
the staff were always polite and friendly.

Room Tip: ask for one of the refurbished rooms. we stayed in 307 and 308 - 308 has a double balcony. rooms at...
3  Thank Sally P
Reviewed August 25, 2013

After touring around 9 countries in Europe, I have to say Monteplaya was by far the best of any we stayed in. I know everyone else has said it - but it's true - It was spotlessly clean and the staff were so friendly and helpful, we were treated as if we were their favourite guests (I'm sure the other guests felt the same also) and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff from front desk, bar, cleaning or dinning room ( the lovely Maria was special). Our room overlloked the two swimming pools and the ocean.
The tours offered by Shearings were great - over the eight days we were there we went on four and found plenty to do on the other four days.
I have told all my friends how great it was and will certainly be back. Thanks Monteplaya .
Louisa Keech

Room Tip: We had one of the four rooms on each floor that overlooked the pool and ocean which was lovely to...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Louisa K