“Will definately return to this wonderful hotel”

Catalonia Ses Estaques
Derbyshire
“Will definately return to this wonderful hotel”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

This wonderful hotel is in a lovely setting, there is no beach outside the hotel, it is rocky, but this didn't bother us. We were swiftly checked in and nothing was too much trouble for the Reception staff, in fact all the staff were very pleasant, helpful and courteous. The room was a decent size (we chose a superior room) and there was also a bottle of wine, a large bottle of water and a basket of fruit in the room when we arrived which was very welcoming. The balcony was also a good size, and overlooked the marina and the boatyard, which was were we enjoyed watching the boats come and go from the marina. The food was very good, always plenty of choice, yes there was chips every night, but there was always alternatives, and the desserts were wonderful. We always managed to find a sunbed no matter what time we arrived by the pool. The Thomson team worked very hard throughout the day and evening, but if you didn 't want to join in then they didn't try and pursuade you which was fine by us. The evening entertainment was good, some nights better than others, particularly the 3 girls from Yorkshire, "Grace". All of the hotel and grounds were kept spotless, I never saw an insect of any type! At a slow pace it was 10 mins walk into Santa Eularlia, where there are plenty of bars, restaurants and shops. We will definately return to this hotel in the very near future, and are not surprised that many people return year after year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Doll8851

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Wee John (Portobello, Edinburgh) Return Date 25-06-2011
Although it’s now nearly a month now since we returned from The Hotel Catalonia SES Estaques I thought I would do my bit and add my thoughts on this Hotel.
Firstly the good points, this hotel is ideally located right on the beach and close to the promenade for a leisurely walk along the beach front.
The hotel staff, or at least, those that we met, were very helpful. In fact all the staffs were keen to make your holiday enjoyably. This was from our cleaning room lady (room 118 tell her thanks) right through to the garden staff who just got on with it and kept the hotel functioning to a high standard.
Over the 2 weeks we had an enjoyable and relaxing holiday but it was not without its faults (see later section)
We have been going on Gold holidays since 2004 and I would rate this one as 4 out of 5 stars, only Cyprus got 5 out of 5
The Thomson staff Mark & Holly was very helpful. They even organised the flowers etc for our 34th anniversary. To them both many thanks
I myself, on a more personal level met with the entertainment team, Steph (if it’s wrongly spelt I apologise) & her colleague Sally
These 2 were on the go from morning to night and I do not know where they get there energy from but my thanks go out to them as they helped make my holiday.
I played some of the games with these 2 excellent staff members and by luck I won 2 games.
These members of staff make a holiday and although the games were on all day you were not pressurised to take part and it’s all good fun.
Hotel review, as above its all fine or good, but during our stay we were kept indoors for night time entertainment until it moved outside on 18-06-2011. In all our Gold Hotels we normally move outside around the 1st June so this was a disappointment as indoors was to clammy.
I was surprised though, as this meant that the hotel just through a few plastic tables and chairs around the grassy area in front of the outdoor stage. If, as, I assume, it’s outdoors for around 3 months of the year why keep the grassy bit. Why not flagstone or tile this area off so it’s available all year round. This would have the added benefit of making more space around the pool area for sun beds and this area would double up as all day use as rest area or as the pool bar area.
Most of this hotels sun beds are spread around the hotel i.e. on the beach front (no chance of getting these unless you up at 06:00hrs) and to the side. There is only a few around the pool
Now the negative points
This is the first Gold hotel that told me what I can and what I cannot store in the room fridge. The notice attached to your fridge (or mini bar) states and this is a quote:
: Please note your mini bar is not a fridge. If drinks are not in your mini bar we will assume that they have been consumed. We will re stock the mini bar and charge the drink to your room:
I have never been in a hotel that after paying for your room or paying extra for a fridge forces you to pay for what I thought I had already paid for.
We only wanted the fridge for cold juice and a bottle of wine for the balcony in the evening. By the way do not even think about asking for ice for your room, as even though that did not bother us I thought there next note was, annoying i.e. do not ask for ice for your room.
Breakfast was ok. We just had cereal or a fruit salad & bacon or egg and toast. There were plenty of other choices available and we were more than satisfied.
Evening meals was fair i.e. nothing special but standard for this type of hotel, we have had better, but we have also had worse. When the Carvery was on then the meals were good. There was more than enough to satisfy us. Would have preferred more potatoes e.g. boiled rather than chips etc. The deserts were very good and I admit I had more than one some nights.
The a la carte restaurant was very good and we had our anniversary meal there as well as another visit. My wife said she had her best ever prawn cocktail at this restaurant The SES Savines. Overall we were impressed. I found the choice of uniform a bit strange i.e. dressed in all white. I wasn’t sure at first if we had walked into an operating theatre or a massage parlour. A very good meal and highly recommended
The hotels main fault was in its pricing policy as we were shocked at some of the costs, for example, Lunch time we had a toasted sandwich (Ham & cheese) plus 2 coffees (average charge €12) A bottle of wine with Evening Meal, lowest price house wine white (€11.00) Bar prices, a local vodka & lemonade was €4.60 now that is ridiculous.
This might be just the state of the Euro but it changed our drinking habits. After the 3rd night we just cut down on drinks and retired to our balcony after the main show.
Entertainment was either good or very good. All except on our last Tuesday when the comedy act was by far the worse we had ever heard. Not very professional
John & Carol Adams

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DaisyJohn
Hedge End, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2011

As ususall the staff are fantastic however am not sure about the new arrangements for sun beds, they seem to be everywhere and at times seems very crowded although I must admit there were always enough to go round.
As a Gold hotel we thought that the evening entertainment had too many Thomson evenings and not enough proper acts.
We are sorry to learn that Senor Edo the manager is retiring at the end of the season and hope this will not change the hotel too much. Every one said the same.
The hotel is in need of updating and although it was very clean it was a little shabby in some areas. Still we will see on our next visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank albir001
london
Reviewed July 9, 2011

writing this review at 07:30 from the balcony, been up an hour already just to ensure we get two sunbeds. There is a crowd of Welsh boyos who appear to get up at dawn to take all the sunbeds on the terrace and the management admit that there is not enough sun beds to go around. The Thomson gold brochure shows what looks like a lovely sandy bay, it is in fact a public right of way covered with a couple of millimetres of sand to give the impression of a sandy beach, it is gritty and dirty. If you want to swim take some divers shoes as the only way into the sea is down some very slippery dangerous steps and once in you wil find it very rocky, stoney, no sand in sight.
This has spoilt our holiday, we did not expect to have to get up at 6:30 just to get a sunbed and feel that Thomsons should make it clear that there is no beach whatsover.
On the plus side the food and entertainment are good and the staff helpful, but I would not recommend this hotel and we will definitely not come back.
Also forget the wi-fi, it doesn't exist !!!

Room Tip: get a superior room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank cityjay
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I am 21 and have been to this hotel since the age of 17 twice a year with my parents. There is alot of comments advising of elderly guests however during the summer months there is younger clientel. The staff are fantastic and always ensure you enjoy your holiday. If you start to mix with the elderly guests you will find that they are always up for a laugh and are keen to join in the games! ( they arnt all that bad) you get a chance to go to ses savines which sells the best steak iv ever had! Would highly recommend this hotel to any ages!!

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank Emzy21
Scotland
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Whilst there are many positive aspects of this hotel, there are a few factors you need to take into consideration before booking.
90% + of the guests are over 70 and repeatedly inform 'the newcomers' that this is their 20th visit here and how they love it. It has became a home from home for them for a couple of weeks a year and unfortunately, they are very institutionilised in this 2 weeks. A lot of gossiping about the newcomers, a race to the dining room to catch 'their' table etc etc.
One guest even wondered around with a tee shirt bearing a picture of the hotle emblazoned on the front with the caption 'gateway to heaven'-I kid you not.

If you like to sunbathe, be prepared to get up early - by 5.30 am, towels are out and most of the beds taken by 6am. Leaving it until 7.30am ensures you have no chance of sitting around the hotel's sunbathing areas. What is more annoying is the fact that those who put their towels out at 6am, then went out or whatever and often did not return until afternoon.

Rooms of a good size and spotlessley clean, with a good daily service. Meals are of the usual buffet fare which is fairly boring and not very exciting but Santa Eulalia has lots of nice eating places so it'sno hardship to eat out. I would have been pushed to eat in hotel every night.

Not a hotel for the under 60's and definatley not the place for the younger age group.

Gatway to heaven???? I think not

Room Tip: Buy an upgrade
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Banffers
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Arrived on the 14th of June for 14 days.
Highs:
Good location close to the marina and sea access.
Reception staff great on arrival checked in very quick and also very helpfull through out the vacation.
Room a superior room on the 5th floor very clean and roomy with the added bonus of a basket of fruit and a bottle of wine also bath robe and slippers.
Meals very good and a great choice every day.
Hotel staff excellent bar staff Jose/Ramon/Jaun and Raul brillaint and Dianea in the restaruant also great.
Thomson reps Mark and Holly very good and worked well with Steph and Sara and Gemma the entertainment team.
NOT SO GOOD:
clients putting towels on beds from 6am every morning and in one case not returning till 4pm.
entertainment in the evening too many Thomson team shows and not enough professional shows. ( resident due ok though)
Hotel Bar prices quite high 4.75 euro for pint of Murphys beer.
All in all a great holiday .

Room Tip: book a superior room with a sea view well worth i.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
ME Ibiza
ME Ibiza
#8 of 56 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & Spa
Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites ...
#5 of 56 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
IBEROSTAR Santa Eulalia
IBEROSTAR Santa Eulalia
#1 of 56 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
Intertur Hotel Hawaii Ibiza
Intertur Hotel Hawaii Ibiza
#4 of 99 in Sant Antoni de Portmany

Been to Catalonia Ses Estaques? Share your experiences!