“Some reviews of Riomar are a bit harsh.............”
Review of Hotel Riomar

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riomar
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I've just got back from a holiday at the Riomar and I have to say that before I went I had huge reservations because of the reviews I had read but happily it really isn't as bad as some people have said. Yes the rooms are small - there were 4 people in ours and the rooms are really made for 3 maximum but it's ok unless you want to spend lots of time in the room. There was ample storage space, the rooms were cleaned really well every day by nice smiley cleaners. The bathroom was adequate and the shower was actually quite powerful and nice and we had hot water all the time. Our room was at the back of the hotel and I would strongly recommend a room at the front if you can get one. I found the road noise woke me up most days but the rest of my party didn't seem to notice so maybe that was just me. The hotel staff were friendly. The food was fine. It was a bit samey after 2 weeks but it was perfectly warm and edible although there were days when the combnations were a bit odd. I never noticed the restaurant floor to be dirty at all. The waitresses are a bit slapdash but I think it's because they are young ratther than anything else. The manager made a point of speaking to myself and my daughters and seemed perfectly amenable so I don't know why people complain about him although I didn't make any complaints so maybe that made a difference. The pool was packed with children so I never went in it and it wouldn't do for anyone wanting to do a lot of swimming. The sunbed area seemed to be popular. I never got to use it and there did seem to be towels put out very early to reserve them which I thought was unfair as it was a small area with limited beds. However the beach is a few paces away and once equipped with our own beach umbrella and lilos, this suited us very well. I did get stung for the very expensive 10.50 euros for a sunbed and parasol one day. The resort is quiet but the promenade was a nice place to walk on an evening and the church on the hill was worth a visit even it was hot going! I got a last minute deal here and wasn't really expecting much from it but I did end up enjoying it quite a lot. The Riomar is a decent enough 2 star hotel which does what it says on the tin. There's a laid back atmosphere. It's mostly English families staying here but there were a few German, Dutch and French families as well. The age range was from tiny babies up to OAPs with everything in between. Yes it could do with air conditioning but if you are just looking for somewhere as a base to sleep and eat in then you could do a lot worse.

Reviewed August 24, 2009

im reading the reviews from recent visits and im shocked they are bad i loved this hotel as it was spotless and staff were lovely and payed alot of attention to my daughter huggin her and tellin her she was beeautiful and always remembered her name very chid friendly. upon arrival i had a room that wasnt seview receptionist wasnt helpful at all but upon speakin to manager 2 days later we were moved....after reading the reviews i was convinced i had to have a seview but upon moving to sea view i soon realised it was not really a need and wished i hadnt the former room was lovely and quite yes it was hot but so was the sea view room once in the sea view room i soon learnt if ur a light sleeper seaview is not for u the sound of ppl out on beach and and the waves splshing all night annoyed me ....athough view was lovey i dont spend much time in room so didnt realy apprciate it.
i thought food was fab breakfast had cereals or bacon sausage beans fried egg boied egg scrambled eggs and toast also meats n that and yoghurts x
dinner throughtout the week was fine only one night it wasnt for me but thats cause im picky on wat meat i eat and dont realy enjoy veg stuff lol .
i would go back only downfall is no air conditioning and only one plug socket in room and one in bathroom not good when u want fan on and iron clothes and someone wants to dry/straighten hair and kid wants to watch dvd but we coped.

1  Thank lilly042
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Stayed with my 2 13 year old children. The room was only just big enough. The 3rd bed was a camp bed despite me double triple checking with the tour operator that it would be a proper bed.

Towels changed and room cleaned every day, and yes there is no air conditioning, but we knew there wasn't, and didn't have any problems sleeping.

Like most people I have to say that the staff are lovely, very helpful and smiley.

Breakfasts were ok....the coffee is revolting and I couldn't drink it......you are better off using the sachets of decaff and adding hot water to it......and......the dinners were absolutely vile. My kids and I ended up eating bread and cheese most evenings and eating out....which blew my budget....even one of the receptionists commented on how bad the food was, and how most people complained about it.

All in all it is only a 2 star hotel, but I would have expected the food to be paletable at least..and it wasn't.

Would I go back..........not on half board.

1  Thank jsjennings
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Arrived 14.08.09 wiht husband and 5 year old son, upgraded to sea view room at a charge of 30 euros,rooms small,hot and basic. Every thing you would expect of a 2 star hotel,apart from the food - appaulling at all times. The food/slop is cold and inedible, cutlery is filthy, and on many occasions the restaurant floor,is also covered with food leftovers, this is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in. The owner is arrogant and has the theory that he is always right and not the customer !!!! Please always check your drinks bill from the restaurant and ask for a receipt.By far this is the worst hotel we have ever stayed at,and would certainly not reccomend it for families.

1  Thank Joseph0604
Reviewed August 21, 2009

The Riomar is a nice Hotel, emphasize on the nice. Nice location right on the beach. Nice staff, always smiling & helpful.Nice & clean inside & out.
Problem is that they cant cope with the Hotel being full with families. Its not there fault, Thomas Cook have turned 2 bedroom rooms into Family 4 bed to increase profits, thus doubling the amount of people in the Hotel. This then creates a School Dinners traffic jam at mealtimes & a massive amount of bodies around the pool.
Monika & Lorena on the reception desk (ace people, very very helpful) said that July was a lot quieter & less families. Everybody bar the owner stated there should be no more than 2 adults & 1 small child in a room. So,
1. I would recommend this hotel but not during August for no more than 3 in a room.
2. Read up on hotel, there is no air conditioning & fans are useless in high heat.
3. Food is buffet. It is repetitive. Its reasonably nice, but the cook sometimes makes
strange concoptions.
4. Entertainment is almost zero at night, in Hotel & at Resort.
It was a good holiday, we knew it would be busy, so we were prepared. Unfortunately, the room size & food let it down.
I wouldnt go again, but then I dont usually return to the same location twice.

1  Thank emiliajacob
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Arrived at this hotel on 31st July '09. Originally allocated a room facing the road, however, we were able to upgrade to a room with a sea view for an extra 30 euros. This was worth every penny! The view was fantastic and much cooler as you get the sea breeze! It was even safe to leave the balcony door open at night, which kept the room cooler. There is an option to hire a fan for 2.50 euro a day but we just took our own with us after reading the reviews on here.

The hotel is absolutely spotless!!! Cleaners came into the rooms every day, and towels were changed every other day.

The food was good but very repetitive. The strawberry icecream and cream and sponge dessert was beautiful!

On the beach, 2 beds and an umbrella cost 10.50 euro a day. We bought an umbrella in town for 6.50 euro and 2 lilos at 3.00 euros each which we used to lay on the beach. This saved us a fortune!!

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank WalesNeath_S_Wales
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This hotel was truly awful and is a disgrace to the term 'hotel'. The reviews suggest the food was poor but the extent of the disgust we felt at the food at the Riomar Hotel led me to join TRIPADVISOR and write this review. Do not book this hotel. The food was cold and cheap and inedible, with no children's choices. The grease, the cold, soggy pizza, the cold hard chips, limited salad and tough meat were bad enough. Then you get up for breakfast and find powdered orange in place of juice! The coffee was undrinkable.
The staff were untrained and lean over you to grab plates as you eat! We would claim a refund if we could on the food/ restaurant alone.
Holiday-makers were eating out and buying their own food, avoiding the hotel like the plague. Thomas Cook suggested we might get a sea-view room. The only way to get one is to pay between 30 to 60 Euros- depending on how they feel that day. The only way to survive is to get a front sea-view room so we had to pay! Then, pay for a fan-which did not work-18 Euros a week,
This could not get any worseyou would think. you would be wrong. The manager is the worst manager you could ever meet- charmless, offensive and dismissive of guest concerns. Could this be the worst hotel on Ibiza?