“not 4 star superior!!”

Palladium Hotel Don Carlos
Hereford, United Kingdom
“not 4 star superior!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Holidayed 15th to 26th Sept 2012. The Don Carlos is a very nice hotel in SOME respects,we had a standard room with sea view and overlooking the pool.The room was quite small and to our minds it seemed a bit like the sort of hotel a rep might have stayed in ( the dressing table was more like a desk with a small hard chair) No other chair in the room! I suffer with a bad back and asked at reception if it was possible to have another chair,they couldn't help so our rep got me 2 cushions!! Not much good either. Bathroom was fantastic. The wardrobe supplied just 12 hangers,and a few shelves, I'm glad I took extra hangers.only one small bedside drawer each side of bed and a larger one under the luggage rack.Not 4 star.
the food was good with plenty of choice for breakfast and evening meals. the Al a Carte resturant
was excellent and we used it for the 3 times allowed. We managed to get sun beds ok but had to
do what everyone else does and go down quite early ( it goes on everywhere) The staff here are all very helpfull and friendly.Although we thought the manager seemed a bit ignorant,didn't even smile let alone greet you. No one told us about the drinks package, not even the Thomson rep!! The entertainment was only average -- nothing exiting. We usually stay at Thomson Gold hotels and thought a Couples hotel would be the same, But they are not.
As other reviewers have said a 4 star hotel should not allow men into dinner wearing shorts and
sleeveless tee shirts.
We won't be returning to this hotel unless we hear that it has improved.

Room Tip: We had room 239 with a sea view and overlooking the pool, the 'enterainment' noise could har...
2 Thank Eve186302
FiestaHotelGroup_FHG, Director de Recepción at Palladium Hotel Don Carlos, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us and the travel community. It is thanks to the opinion of our guests that we can improve our services.

We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found the Hotel great. We were nevertheless very sorry that the the room and furniture did not fully satisfy your expectations.

Please accept our most sincere apologies, we will definitely learn from your comments and we are working very hard to improve and satisfy all our guests’ requests.

Thank you once again for your review and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back to have the opportunity to deliver the service you expect from our Fiesta Hotel Don Carlos.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Slovak first
Chatham, Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We booked here following a house move, unexpected redundancy and then my father passed away, so we were looking for nice uncomplicated sunny break - which is what we got. We booked a half board suite, rather than our normal self catering just to get over all the stress. Our room was number 315 with a side view over the sea through the trees, we had a very nice folded swan on the enormous bed on the first day and fruit skewers in the fridge (and bottles of 'freshly squeezed' water), but this was only on the first day. Complementary bathrobes were tiny but the slippers were handy as the bathroom floor could get slippery. I asked about larger bathrobes at the desk (I am a size 14, my partner is slim and 5'11" in height but they were still too small) but they said that they were all the same.

I would say that the rooms are suitable for disabled people too - wet room drencher shower with fold up seat (handy for washing my feet), there is also a high toilet (I am only 5 foot tall so my legs were dangling a bit!) with a hand rail. Huge whirlpool bath that took ages to fill (was worth it). Hotel has lifts. Hanging rail in wardrobe is very high and I couldn't reach. Personalised safe, iron & board in wardrobe. Various complementary items in bathroom and a hairdryer. There is a laundry service but is expensive.

Sofa and a chair, two large flat screen TV's that seemed to have a mind of their own when you are trying to turn them off. Nice balcony with seats and small table, very small clothes drying wall hanger but room to hang your towels to dry. Restaurant ran like clockwork, we did visit the Bella Vista (a la Carte) restaurant twice, nice food but small portions. At breakfast the toasters are constantly on and would probably provide heating for a house.

There was evening entertainment, a flamenco type group, also a guitar player/and singer called Nick who was really funny and had the guests singing along. Other nights had a older lady and an older man singing very well. However on at least two nights there was a guy having his own karaoke evening, getting the music off his laptop and then swanning around the seated guests getting the words off an IPAD. One of the rooms possessing a hot tub was located directly above the entertainment stage and the male guest gave us a little shimmy (what a sport!) as he took off his bathrobe to get in alongside his female partner who just slid into the tub. Waiting staff are very attentive with hot or cold drinks around the outside seating area or inside.

We ate at Fiesta Palmyra at San Antonio and Fiesta Cala Llonga on the 'dine around' scheme which was good and the staff were very welcoming.

Went went into the town a couple of times as we had a hire car to explore the island and we went on a boat trip to Formentera (the harbour is a 20 minute walk from the hotel). I will definitely go back to Ibiza, Santa Eulalia is very nice. We experienced lots of differents beaches, some busy, some quiet as well as the clubby areas. We are in our fifties but enjoyed the whole island - there is something for everyone. We even enjoyed Playa den Bossa where the music was so loud we thought our lunch would vibrate off the table - but it was great fun, a superb and much needed break.

The staf at Don Carlos was terrific, very helpful and polite - would recommend it.

Room Tip: I would say a higher up room not overlooking the pool as it seems be noisy. Don't have a hot tu...
3 Thank Thornton312
FiestaHotelGroup_FHG, Director de Recepción at Palladium Hotel Don Carlos, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
On my behalf and the Fiesta Hotel Don Carlos We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your holidays in our Hotel last September.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about the hotel and for your really valuable comments. Any opportunity for improvement through this kind of sincere and constructive feedback is gladly welcome.

We are so glad to hear that everything went so well while you were here with us, it is our main objective to exceed your expectations and it is a great motivation for us when we receive comments like yours, make us keep in the same path and improve day by day.

with kind regards
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Whilst the hotel is spotless everywhere some things do let it down how they can call this a four star superior I do not know, the Entertainment I found very poor and believe me having had some 40 years experience in the business as a entertainer and agent I think I know.
I cannot understand why there is no one stopping men going into the restaurant at night in shorts and t shirts and that is one of the reasons I say it is not a four star superior!
The food I found to be mediocre and the reason I ate out several times during my two week stay.
As for people reserving sun beds it really is a joke.
The bar in my opinion is not adequate it only caters for people sitting outside why is there not another bar with comfortable chairs as there is none anywhere!!!
And what happens if it should rain where do you put 300 people, not inside there is no where.
The so called ala carte restaurant is not worth the trip the menu is to limited, it would however make a great piano bar ?

Room Tip: Side se view are quiet
3 Thank Tony P

We are very sorry to listen that our hotel refurbishment ,food of our restaurant and entertainment did not fully satisfy your expectations.

On the other hand, we would like to inform you that regarding the sunbed inconveniences that we have had during this season, we have just implement the confiscation policy, so your comments are really helpful in order to give an efficient solution to this matter.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Spent 7 days here in the second week in September and overall we enjoyed our stay.Had a little wait at reception to check in which was no problem and the courtesy glass of bubbly was a nice touch. Our room wasn't ready which again we half expected as we arrived about 1300 hrs - it gave us time to walk into the resort and get our bearings and it is a nice little 10-15 minute walk. The hotel itself is in a quiet area although there is a supermarket and restaurant opposite.

We were a little surprised at the size of our room when we did get in there - it was very small . However it was clean and had a nice modern bathroom. I did find it strange that there is a kettle and cups but no tea or coffee. The bed was okay but the pillows were lumpy and if you wanted better ones they came at a cost (per night). I don't ever remember being charged for pillows before.

After an early morning flight we were very tired the first night but it didn't stop my partner being woken in the early hours by the couple next door's sexual gymnastics. Now she's no prude but my partner heard everything ....and I mean everything !!! Now I'm not blaming the couple next door but I am blaming the hotel for having walls like tissue paper. Needless to say it didn't disturb me. However next afternoon they did ! After a hard day's sunbathing I'd gone back to my room at 1600 hrs and was having a little siesta when the couple next door kicked off again . We did mention it to the hotel and if it had carried on we would have asked to change rooms but no more was heard...they had either left or were completely ******* out !

There's been a lot of people on here mentioning the problems with sunbeds but i can't say we had any trouble. The pool wasn't officially open until 0900 and yes at 0900 on the dot (and probably much earlier) there were towels everywhere but we still managed to get a couple without any problems all week.

The food on the whole was of a good standard without being outstanding.There was plenty of choice and the A La Carte restaurant again was a nice touch although we only used it twice as the menu was a bit limited and neither of us fancied anything on the menu for our last night. The waiters there were eager enough but a bit inexperienced - my soup was spilt all over the waiter's hand on the 2nd night (although no chance of being scalded). Breakfasts were good with the sausages being the best I've ever had abroad !

We only stayed at the hotel for one night so can't really comment on the evening entertainment. The one act we did see were a hybrid singing group/flamenco act and they were okay.

We had been told that there were plenty of nice shops in Santa Eulalia but if there were we must have missed them .

Other minus points... having to pay a 20 Euro deposit for the use of an iron and ironing board and then having to return both to reception myself !! That is not 4 star service and it was little things like that which add up and make you not want to return.Also the seating in the hotel wasn't that comfortable - in the reception area it all looked very modern but the seats were just not comfortable and as for the bongo-drum type seats at the computer desks well they wre just plain ridiculous ! Also the seats you sat in for the evening entertainment were the same plastic seats used in the daytime for the pool bar - no seat covers were used at night and whether they had been wiped after the daytime use is anybody's guess .

One big gripe with the holiday was with Thomsons and not the hotel. To get picked up at 0915 for an 1130 flight home is a nonsense.It's 45 minutes to the airport and we still had another pick-up on the way.The coach was also 15 minutes late and although we didn't queue long at check-in we had no time whatsover to shop or even have a drink - as soon as we got through security our flight was called .It would make me want to book with another tour company next time.

All in all i would have to say we had a good holiday in a nice hotel

3 Thank Daytona99

We are very sorry to listen that our hotel did not fully satisfy your expectations.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Don Carlos is a very well run hotel in a great location. We only had breakfast in the hotel, preferring the walk into Santa Eulalia for dinner. The bedrooms very of a good standard and it made a pleasant surprise not to have to "reserve" a sun bed each day!!
The staff were very helpful and friendly and made the holiday all the more enjoyable. The only slightly negative comment I would make is that the person responsible for the beach towels needs a tracking device fitted to him!!!
In summary, great hotel in a great location

1 Thank Keith512
Thank you very much for your comments and advice. Due to your help we can always improve our services.

We are very pleased that you had a great time at our Fiesta Hotel Don Carlos and that you were satisfied with our services, rooms and food.

Once again thank you for sharing your feedback with the travel community and we hope to see you again at the Fiesta Hotel Don Carlos.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Me and my boyfriend have just returned from Don Carlos and I would go back tonight if I could. It really is a beautiful and modern hotel. Staff were friendly and the entertainment team got everybody involved. Certainly the nicest hotel I have been in. Exceptionally clean, great pool side bar, couldn't fault the food such a huge selection. The best holiday I have had. Location is perfect, lovely quiet pool. A short walk down to Santa which is beautiful! The beaches are superb, and the water is crystal clear, get some goggles and check out the fish! I really can't fault this hotel. And only 30 euros away from San antonio if you fancy something a bit more lively!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Chel00

bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

This was our first time in Ibiza having chose the Fiesta Don Carlos let me tell you we were not disappointed at all we sure were glad this was our first choice hotel . As soon as we arrived we knew that we were going to have a fantastic holiday here. The hotel was spotless our room on the fourth floor was lovely having gorgeous views of Santa Eulalia , Loved the restaurant with an excellent choice of food every evening , we also dined in the A La Carte which was delightful good food good service and wonderful views we enjoyed dining A Fresco . The pool was very nice very clean with lovely views loved the afternoon entertainment the guitarist was a lovely touch ! So what more to say well other than to thank all the staff who were always there to help you and constantly greeted you with a smile nothing ever seemed too much trouble !!!! We meet some lovely people we enjoyed our 2 week stay so much although it went far too quickly , the only thing left to say is roll on next August till we return again for 2 weeks and we are meeting up with 2 couples we met there this year just cannot wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012