“Many goods but a few not so good.”

Palladium Hotel Don Carlos
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Many goods but a few not so good.”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We have just returned from this hotel and did have a good weeks holiday. The food was very good with a lot of selection, the location was very good and the bar staff and the staff downstairs were brilliant. And now the not so goods there were lots of oap's the week we was there but I suppose it is the time of year for retired people to get away. My grudge was the extras to pay and the housekeeping which I found was not very good at all. On the whole it was a nice holiday but could have been better. I thought the entertainment was awful but as I say the older people seemed to really enjoy it.

Room Tip: pay for a seaview it is worth it.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Slovak first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

All that is written about this hotel is true on the good side. Food choices every day ...Excellent...Staff....Excellent....Entertainment ....very average.....Rooms...Excellent....Cleanliness .....Excellent..... The downside with this hotel are the extras such as Kettles, Beach Towels, Fridge, Irons, Late Check Out, Wi-Fi and sea views are all chargeable. Make sure you take Beach Towels, Kettles with you. Sun beds and parasols on the beach are 4 euros each, around the pool.... free. We had a great week here - but if you drink a lot DO book the "DRINKS ALL INCLUSIVE" option, you will save money. This is NOT an ALL INCLUSIVE including lunchtime food - that is payable depending what you have. Rep not bad but jabbers on a bit and very cocky (Thomsons). Will be really good next year without the little ones and will definately rebook another time.

Room Tip: Try to book top floor
5 Thank Jackielstephens
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2011

When I booked this holiday with my partner it was sold to us as a very high quality hotel with excellent food and great facilities to suit couples and families alike. It is safe to say this was not the case. Me and my partner stayed for 12 days and after a week I couldn't wait to come home. The food was average at best, we stayed on a half board basis and ate out a few nights. (The food combinations at the buffet were just random.) Also for the money we paid which was £1,700 I was appalled that we had to clear our own table after our meal. If I wanted self service I would've stayed at home. Drinks are very expensive and although the bar staff are lovely the entertainment team were clearly only there to cater to the people that go every year. This is mainly young couples with children. If your not up at 5.30 am don't expect a sunbed round the pool. Even though the hotel has a policy which states you cannot reserve sunbeds I actually saw a member of staff reserving a familys sunbeds for them whilst they were eating breakfast! It is such a shame because santa eulalia is a beautiful place, the views are stunning, the promenade is great and the bars in the town are good value with really helpful and friendly staff. I would go back to santa eulalia but if i went again I certainly would'nt stay in this hotel. It certainly shouldnt be advertised as 3 star.

Room Tip: Get a sea view although you will be charged a extra 14 euros a day for the priviledge.
Southampton
Reviewed September 14, 2011

why there are so many negative reports about this hotel, and I do wonder where these people come from and what standard of living they have at home ! I like to think I have a good standard of living and I do like the finer things in life so take their reviews with a pinch of salt, as they say you cannot please everyone all of the time ! This hotel was situated in a beautiful spot with a small beach which was not busy, a little rugged but it was a smashing little cove and great for children to swim in the Med. The sun rise was amazing each morning so it was worth getting up to see it once you had laid your towel out ;o) As they say if you snooze you lose. There were other beaches in the town which took about 15 mins to walk so you had the choice of what suited you.

The food was very good, the salads were especially fresh and tasty and there were good choices. I would recommend taking the drinks package as it worked out cheaper than buying them daily, this included a bottle of wine with your meal and if you like Rioja then you couldn't fail.

We had a suite with a sea view which was worth it as there was so much space and although a little noisey at night with the entertainment going on, the view won hands down. The entertainment did not go on too late which was good, but you are on holiday after all ;o))

The staff were very friendly and the entertainment guys were very nice too and asked you every day to join in and if you didn't want to then that was fine, at least they asked you and they did not hassle you if you said no.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and would go back, I went as a couple so it will be interesting to see how it pans out when they change it next year.

The Spar shop across the road did fresh sarnies, a little pricey but made a change from the snacks at the hotel.

The only negative thing I found was that there was no security guard patrolling the entrance and surroundings to the hotel ...just be vigilant.

Room Tip: Suite with a sea view
8 Thank SammersSouthampton
penzance cornwall
Reviewed September 6, 2011

just returned from a wonderful week,the hotel is on the end of the prom over a little bridge about 15mins walk from a very clean and pretty santa eulalia,a lovely walk after an evening meal, the food at the hotel you couldnt fault nicely presented and hot ,with plenty of choice.all the hotel staff were very friendly and helpfull ,our daughter loved the mini clubs,we had prize her away .our family room was spotless and the air con worked a treat,if we were to go again though i think i would go for a suite,just for a bit more room. also would look to go all in as drinks can work out expensive as can snacks at dinner. just a shame the hotel is going adults only in 2012 as a lot of familys will miss out of this wonderful hotel,we will have to wait until our daughter is old enough to go.for the adults who are going next year,hopr you enjoy this hotel as much as we did .

Room Tip: tip go all inclusive well worth it..
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank darren1165
CHESHIRE
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Hi everyone, i have just returned from this hotel after a weeks well earned and much needed break. I paid £1,500 for me and my husband to have a short and unplanned rest.

This break was a half board break in a suite with sea view.

On arrival at around noon, our rooms were not ready so we went out to the pool area.

I felt like I was in a war zone!

The area was tiny with what can only be described as a hole in the floor for a pool.

Every bed was occupied in this very small space, the music was earth shattering and my head was about to explode.

We looked shell shocked at this total bedlam, then and without warning an impromptu show began on a stage made by the pool...the staff began to emulate their version of a scouser!!!! you just could not have made it up, I was horrified.

Butlins would have been less awful.

The hotel itself though clean (a notation everyone has made about this hotel) it is old, tired and stuck in a 70s time warp.

I called our travel company immediately to be moved and was told the Island is full all but one hotel and for an extra £2,500 on top of the £1,500 we had just paid we could have a room there for 5 nights!!!!! £4,000 for a week in Ibiza...I do not think so.

I knew from this point forward we could not spend any time in the hotel and we must go out every day.

It came the time to go to our room, but the receptionist had lost the key to the luggage room, so it took a further hour to locate the key, which I found in the ladies toilet!!! even more random.

So up in the 2 person lift we went, looking at the graffiti on the the doors was very interesting to say the least.

The corridoors were tired and old and they did not put lights on night or day, so it looked dark and dingy at all times.

If i was disappointed with the arrival, nothing could have prepared me for what was termed as a suite!!! it looked something like a 2 star apartment in Loret de mar, back in the 70s, basic spartan and well used.

But as everyone keeps saying it was clean.

The sea view was partial but there.

I then went to make a cup of tea, I had been informed by our travel agent that there were tea and coffee making facilities...no there weren't......

I then saw a list which read.

Safe 4 euros per day

Iron 5.25 euros per day

Fridge 8.50 euros per day

Kettle 3.25 euros per day

Sea view 14.50 euros per day

Towels 3.00 euros per person per day.

Add all of this up and you get the picture.

Then to the food....it was not bad actually, however to have a drink with your meal, you queue on arrival into the dining hall to buy your drinks, and you clear away your own table and everything is self service there are no staff to wait on you.

For the money we paid and the write up by the tour operator, we felt this was so shockingly misrepresented.

The time we spent in the hotel was limited and we ate out more than often, the area was nice and thankfully a beach bar called Mariners saved our lives, a nice place to sit, a nice place to eat and a lovely position.

I guess everyone has a different opinion of what is good or bad and it depends on what you are used to and what you expect.

It is the first time i had been to Ibiza and this hotel ruined that experience, I will go back though and probably to this area, however i will do far more homework and understand the pictures that are used in brochures are of when the hotel was built and not as it is now, as if that was the case, it would probably be condemned.

Hand on heart, I am really angry at the tour operator, I would NEVER ever choose a hotel like this and feel a little ripped off by them, however one must fully understand the operator is blameless.

This is my honest representation of my experience of this hotel.

Room Tip: dont bother booking
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank liz P
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Nice views. Staff couldn't be more polite or helpful and very welcoming apart from entertainment. All they wanted to do was to please a certain few and were very clicky as well as loving the sound if there own voice .......
Sarni shop at top of the car park on the road don't go there rude and very overpriced .....
The town itself lovely