“Excellent food-in the cigarette smoke?”
Review of Ama Lur

Ama Lur
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

For such a quality eating experience, it's so last century to allow smoking in your restaurant. It just spoils it all. This was our 2nd time here, last time being years ago. The food is still top notch, the wines as well. The portions are unnecessary large though. And that smoking-ah, it simply doesn't fit... Shame!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Having read excellent reviews about Ama Lur, my husband couldn't wait to go to "the best restaurant in Ibiza". The restaurant was beautiful and very elegant with an interesting menu and wine list but, for us, that's where the experience began and ended. From our arrival, we found the staff most unfriendly - the woman at the door was po faced and things didn't improve. Our daughter isn't the most adventurous of eaters and we found them to be condescending and unhelpful when trying to find something plain for her to eat. Our particular waitress was dressed as if she had just returned from the market. However, when some rich locals (about 14 people) came in much later in the evening, they were treated in a completely different manner to us - nothing was too much trouble and they (even the tiny children in the party) were waited on hand and foot, whereas we had to wait for ages for any further attention and our bill. The food was good and well presented, but nothing special compared with other restaurants, especially given the price (twice as much as anywhere else). It was a pity to be so let down having had such high expectations and we certainly wouldn't return.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I simply cannot believe how people describe the service as good in Ama Lur!! Are they all good friends of the owners? Out of his own interest the owners do the job making guests feel welcome but those 2 women forever ruining the whole experience and letting the kitchen down it just unacceptable. Awful to say the least.
A miserable disheveled young lady looking stoned with no people skills whatsoever, keeping her arms crossed by the entry and not showing a hint of smile nor courtesy.
We ordered a glass of cava to start with, it never arrived.
We ordered a very expensive bottle of wine which was not presented to us, after we realized it was a different year than the wine list states!! they opened as if it was a cheap tetra brick, ripping the top apart! It was abruptly set on its ice bucket where the servillette got completely soaked, glasses not refilled, had to do it myself. They could not care less.
The old lady announced a dish as lentils salad!! My puzzled friend asked if it was vegetarian and she got a yes, yes, it ehmmmm, aaaah...soooome kind of, of of...potatoes puree (goats cheese) and apple pie (beef tongue) LOL!!! need to say more?
My friend ordered tuna on an exquisite/delicate liquified green pod which I had already tried. It was announce as tuna on a pistaccio sauce!!!!
I have given this place a few chances year after year and I have to say the food has improved big time this 2013 but considering the nonexistant self pride, food knowledge, hospitality skills from the staff the place is nothing but a joke living on its old times fame.
If you want to give it a go good news is at least you are eating well, food is definitely worthy. But good luck! Myself I will not be coming back nor recommending any of my customers coming to the island, there is much better places for a fraction of the money.

2  Thank Indizara
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I went to Ama Lur back in June 2010 and it is still the best food I have had in Ibiza...

Top quality, top service, amazing setting, traditional Spanish food with an almost Michelin feel...

Go there if you don't mind spending out on a great meal!!

James

1  Thank James H
Reviewed October 19, 2012

A beautifully set restaurant, offering a wonderful menu, fabulous wine selection and excellent service. Whilst being at the high end of the price range, Ama Lur most definitely lives up to its' reputation of being the number one restaurant in Ibiza and is well worth every penny.