“Amazing place”

“Amazing place”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

An amazing place.

Everything is perfect.

The host is a very nice lady with an incdredible hospitality.

The breakfast food is delicious. Very good chocolate cake.

Only the way to get to the house by car needs some improvments.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank ruisant

Business
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed August 20, 2013

PROS
- Location if you are looking to be away from civilization and take time to rest.
- Landscape, what a great view.

CONS
- musty smell in all house, also in the bedrooms.
- Too many pets. I love pets and I have two cats, but the house is full of cats and outside dogs. Besides the cat hair around the smell of the pets mixed with the musty smell was unbearable. Should I mentioned the clear hygiene issues about this?
- Old house in countryside doesn’t mean lack of maintenance and cleaning. I already stayed in several accommodations like this and I never found so many cobwebs, spiders and several different bugs around. In 2 nights, only in my bedroom and bathroom I found over half of dozen spiders and bugs on a reasonable size. Even in bed! You never know if during the night you will be surprised by a walking bug/spider over your face for instance. Not pleasant sensation!
- Breakfast was terrible! The room is very tight with one single table where all guests must seat and have the breakfast together and there´s not individual chairs either. I´m not anti-social, but when I´m on holidays I prefer to have a calm breakfast just with my family or who is traveling with me, not with strangers. Imagine you have a big family and all of you are having a meal in a long table, if you want the ham you can ask to your uncle seated on the end of the table to pass it to you, if your cousin want some juice will ask you to pass the jar to him. Seems a nice family meal and a warm and friendly experience. Now imagine if the cousin or uncle are strangers(guests)? Is not so nice, right? Besides the part that you are sharing the food and tableware with strangers. You don’t have a plat with ham and cheese to you or even bread. You are cutting slices of bread and sharing everything with strangers! Maybe I´m the only one that doesn´t feel comfortable with this, maybe I´m the “anti-social” person, I don´t think so!
Beside this, the food available and quality is poor! There´s a very limited offer of food and I had the feeling that I was in somebody’s home, because at home you open a package of something and you´ll consume it in a row until it finishes. When you are in a hotel you are not expecting to see package of butter, jam, cheese, etc. used in front of you.
- TV, not a chance! There´s no TV´s in the rooms, just one small TV in the living room that must be used by all guests. Not easy!
-Swimming pool was the biggest deception, not well kept and not clean! When we arrived the water was complete green and blurred with a lot of stuff afloat. We have questioned to the owner what happen, because we were planning to use it. She promised next day was ok and in fact it was clear next day afternoon! But to achieve that they have used chlorine in excess. What can I say about this when you have a 2 years old girl wishing to use the swimming pool? The chemical smell was intense even away from the pool.
- Car park is terrible. Small and narrow with just a few cars parked become full and to maneuver the car can be a hard task, because beside it´s narrow the steep slope to exit doesn´t help. The main problem is that not all the guests take special attention to park the car well, so the small car park became even smaller. And it´s not possible to park on the main road, if you don´t have place on the car park you must have to park your vehicle in the bushes around…not safe and hard walk because the pathway are too steep.
- Garden not well maintained! Besides the swimming pool, all the gardens are not well kept, there´s a lack of maintenance and there´s some equipments broke that can be dangerous for young kids. Caution iron nails can hurt someone, broken tiles, etc.
- Decoration is not pleasant! It´s a mix of grandmother house, old countryside house and a kind of museum. I´ll try to explain better! Old things, such as furniture and equipments, dark rooms and a lot of ceramic/clay statues. Because the owner is an “artist”, so the house is full of their pieces, even the bedrooms. But I must admit there´s some interesting pieces in fact, but in excess!

TO BE IMPROVED
- No internet and mobile signal. The second one is not their fault, but internet on our days is essential!

IN THE AREA:
Well this is in the middle of nowhere! This is a good thing if you have all the condition to chill out and enjoy the “good life”…swimming pool, sun, the view of the Douro´s valley. If you want to leave the hotel you must use a car, as is strictly necessary to get there too. What you have to do it is just drive around a enjoy the view and visit the villages, nothing special in fact.
To have a meal the closest restaurant is 13kms away from the hotel but it takes 20 to 30 minutes because the winding road and no lights available. The restaurant is located in Gralheira a small village on the top of the mountain, there you can have better mobile signal and the food is quite nice, but because they are isolated the price is not low and sometimes you have to wait for a table.

SHORT STORY
Basically this as far as I remember was the worth experience I ever had. I was expecting some relaxing time just “doing nothing” and enjoying the view and swimming pool with my family, but this wasn´t the right place to do it! I have never left a hotel before it was planned, I planned to stay longer but I couldn´t stand any longer!

WILL I RETURN?
definitely not!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Henrique d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cinfaes
A Casa do Almocreve
#4 of 8 in Cinfaes
Cerrado dos Outeirinhos
Cerrado dos Outeirinhos
#2 of 8 in Cinfaes

Been to Casa da Geada? Share your experiences!