“Great value for money”

Luna Clube Brisamar
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Alvor
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on my own for four nights - a short break from the uk weather and loved it. Transfer from faro airport was only €20 return and well worth it. Was an hours drive but alvor town/port is only a ten-fifteen minute walk (and I hate walking) which was bearable. A taxi to Praia da rocha was only €8 and spent a day down there in bars, souvenir shopping and on the beach. Spent another day in alvor which was lovely. I went self catering and walked to the local supermarket five minutes up the road (pingo doce) and bought food for my stay but was a waste to be honest as the area has great restaurants nearby and excellent value. The pool was lovely and the staff are friendly. The notorious lumpy pillows aren't bad. They aren't hard or anything. Apartment was very spacious and mine was cleaned every day. I was in h14 which was uphill but the exercise was good!!! If you are a bit older or have mobility issues maybe request one closer to reception. The bar has kareoke every other night which is a real laugh and the nightclub is open sometimes. Would definitely go back! Excellent value for money and close to beaches and towns but not in the throng of it all so can escape and relax too. Susanna, christiano and Patricio were all very friendly and helpful!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
There are newer reviews for Luna Clube Brisamar

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at club Brisimar between 25th July/5th August 2012.The staff were very friendly and helpfull at all times.The apartment was large,very clean and had a fully workling washing machine,which was a first for us. The aircon was free to use with a remote control and don't worry about deposit you will get it back and it can be covered with your credit card or cash.The maids did an excellent job everyday,clean towells and toilet roll etc.To be honest,we didn't use the pool(don't like the sunbed culture) or the bar/restaurant at all,as we prefer the beach!The beach was white sand and about a mile long, but in the afternoon,the wind would whip up and make it unbearable to lie in it,as you were sand blasted!! The sea was ICE cold(Atlantic ocean),all them Iceburghs melting) and gave you cramp in your feet.Alot of people on the beach but plenty of space for everyone.To get to the beach from Brisimar would take us 30/40 mins amble each day and the same again back.You walk through the town/harbour and then onto wooden walkways to the beach.One word of warning though...there's dog mess everywhere,even on the beautiful beach!Picking up and bagging it doesn't seem the norm there,even the kite surfer instuctor,let his dog mess on the beach and totally ignored it!! We ate out every night and had some lovely meals but sometimes struggled to get into places because they were full! Wine was the cheapest I've ever seen anywhere and drank plenty of red(rude not too).1.5 euro's a litre and very drinkable!
We had a couple of nights disturbed sleep at the appartment,due to a refurbishment on a appartment below us ,which we believe was privately owned.They thought it was ok to use a drill at 02.00 and then again the next night banging about.At that stage, I went to reception and got security,who came out to investigate but it went quiet and didn't happen again.To hire a car was a problem due to peak time.As our male receptionest said"its like having the last coco cola in the desert!"But thanks for his help we managed to get one eventually! We booked one for 3 days but went the day of collection came,we were told we could only have it for 2 but they gave us a much upgraded/expensive car for the same price for the 2 days.Pretty fair,to be honest.Go to the sand art,its brilliant! Also Selves and the western point where the lighthouse,castle are,its like being at Lands End.
All in All,my wife and I, our 2 teenage kids have had a lovely time in Alvor.
P.S take your own pillows,they were awfull and lumpy!!

Room Tip: choose one near reception as its a large complex
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We arrived at midnight and were met by a lovely guy at reception that had stayed for us. We were given the map to our apartment that was H15. A Tip take a torch as it is quite dark and its van be rather hard to find your apartment.
Bad points
A little dated - oh my god the lumpy pillows!!!! we used the sofa cushions
Good points
huge apartments, clean, beautiful surroundings, fantastic position (10 mins from the harbour), clean pool, fantastic staff, a washing machine!! brilliant coming home with clean washing.
Got to say was totally impressed by these apartments and will definently go back to these as fantastic value.

Room Tip: Get an apartment at the back of the complex as the front ones can be noisy
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We arrived at this complex to be told that there was no accomodation booked for us due to a dispute between "on the beach's" chosen third party agent. We were told that we could not stay due to a debt between the agent and Clube Brisamar and we would have to pay again in order to stay. Eventually, after a few hours dispute, we managed to get "on the beach" to pay directly for the stay over the phone and we were able to have our two week honeymoon on Clube Brisimar. We have no complaints about the staff who were all friendly. They took care of the dogs that lived on site and were kind and helpful. The cleaners were happy and actually sang whilst they worked. The apartment was easily worth the price, which was way less than £300 for 2 weeks. You cant, after all, pay budget prices and expect expensive luxury. Comfy beds, fantastic sofa and an extremely helpful washing machine in the apartment.
Location is great if you like to be slightly out of the village as its a 15 min walk to shops and restaurants and 5 mins to pingo doce supermarket. Alvor is absolutely wonderful and hardly touched by tacky british bars, yet full of lovely little Portugese restaurants. I am virtually vegan too and could always find something good to eat. Al Pacino's at the end of the road which Brisamar is on, is a brilliant Italian restaurant and their food is delicious!
The beach is 20/25 mins walk away and is very pretty.
Clube Brisamar is a fantastic holiday spot if you are leaving pets at home because you are sure to find a friend in one of the local dogs or cats, particularly if, like us, you dont mind sharing your dinner. If you meet the gardeners dog (large, brown, leggy with a red collar) give him a love from us.
I would without any doubt go back to Clube Brisamar and Alvor despite the initial hiccup, it was a perfect two weeks and we got the very best for our tight budget.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems the rooms nearer reception may be easier as the furthest away are up a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here with friends for a week in late September. We booked this very early on the year at a bargain rate of just £90 in total for 4 people, for a week self catering. After reading some reviews and also looking at the price, I presumed that the quality of these apartments may not be brilliant, but I was plesantly suprised once we arrived.

We were given a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment, even though we only booked for a one bedroom, and the room came with a large balcony as well. We arrived in the early hours of the morning, but check in was smooth with the help of the security guard. The rest of the staff are on the whole polite, but not over friendly. The entertainment and bar staff however were very nice and did their best to provide a good atmosphere.

The rooms very clean, and looking at other reviews regarding the pillows, I was bit worried, but I personally found them very comfortable and was out like a light most nights. It is true that the cleaners only come round a couple of times a week, but we had plenty of towels and toilet paper to keep us going.

As other reviewers have said, Alvor town is only a short 15min walk or 5 euro taxi ride away, so the apartments are in a good location, although the beach is slightly further away, so if you are a beach person it would be a good twenty min walk.

Overall we had a great time in Clube Brisamar. The rooms were nice, the location (for us) was ideal, the price was good and the pool/leisure areas were well kept and not too crowded either.

Would I stay here again? Definetly. And as a travel agent myself, I would have no issues booking any of my clients into here.

P.S If you do decide to go self catering, the Pingo Doce supermarket is only a 5min walk from the apartments, and is very good value and sells nice produce.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank GF88
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our visit to Portugal was wonderful and not least because of the accommodation. The apartment was large enough for us, with good kitchen and bathroom facilities and it was clean. Clube Brisamar is very reasonably priced, which was handy as we are broke. I was expecting a lot less than what we got. This place was value for money. Granted there's some strange abandoned squash courts out the back, but who plays squash in the sun anyway? Plus we didn't even notice the courts except we left our place for a little walk around the campus whilst the cleaner gave our place a once over. I would love to go visit the houses of the people giving out about towels and bedding...I have no problem changing my bed once a week at home and certainly don't go through a bale of towels at home every day, so why on holidays do people feel so scared of their own wet towels that they can't even bear to dry them off themselves? I would have no complaints about the property nor the service provided. The staff were friendly and the place was cleaned every day (we even turned the cleaner away a couple of times). The pool facilities were perfect, a supermarket just 5 minutes away and the stroll into town was barely 10minutes and to the beach just a little further. Would definitely recommend Clube Brisamar to anyone and will be going back without a doubt.

Room Tip: H4 was a good block, especially out the back as it doesn't face the night club.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ClaraDublin_Ireland
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Arrived in reception at 11.00am and was greeted with "You have to go to different apartment in Portimao, I will call for taxi, you pay for this taxi". No explanation,nothing. After pressing for a reason for this for several minutes was told there was a contractual dispute with the agency that was to pay my apartment money and the room was not to be made availlable.The young lady in reception was surly, unhelpful, dissmissive, her response to requests for reasons or information was the classic shrug of the shoulders and attempts to continue with other matters and get on with her life without the diversion of a 'non -client'. I spent the first 3 hours of our holiday on the phone back and forth to my agent to sort this mess out along with another couple placed in the same situation, both couples having booked and paid in full several months in advance.
The apartments are spacious, in need of many fairly minor maintainence issue corrections and are subject to what seems to be somewhat haphazard cleaning regime, the balcony was not cleaned at all during our two week stay, I did it myself as I'd seen 'the shrug' enough times already. I will not be booking in here any time soon!

Room Tip: The apartments in the central garden area and farthest area from reception and away from the busy ac...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple