Pestana Dom Joao II
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Prainha Clube(Alvor)(Great Value!)
Agoda.com
$105
$99
Pestana Hotel Group
Luna Alvor Village(Alvor)(Great Value!)
$77
Hotels.com
$129
TripAdvisor
1,838 results
All reviewsdom joaosea viewindoor poolgolfing tripbeach barminute walkcrazy golflovely hotelbed and breakfast basisfresh fruitdirect accessplenty of choicebar pricesbeautiful beachalvor townsteam roombeans
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This was the second time we have stayed at this hotel and once again we had a really great time. While we were there it was my birthday [oneof many] and having opened my cards my wife and I went for a walk, on our return we were shocked to find a bottle of champagne on ice and 2 wine glasses in our room the compliments of the general manager, what a lovely touch , and it goes to show how thoughtful the hotel is .If you are new to Alvor [we have been going for 11 years] it would be worth your while, to have a drink in buddys bar it is on the right hand fork in the road from paddys bar watch for flashing neon light,it is run by local and he will keep you right on where to go and where to eat, as well as having best pint in alvor 2 euroes hope this is some use to you all.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank billyandsusan
Reviewed February 28, 2011

never stayed here before, but will certainly be back again. totally great.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank nutty_8
Reviewed February 25, 2011

This is a fab hotel in a great location, right on the beach, the views are spectacular. We got a great deal in February and could not fault the hotel at all. The buffet breakfast had something for everyone, we used the indoor pool facilities which were great. The gardens are well kept and we were lucky to have 2 lovely days to walk along the beach. There's also a couple of great little beach bars, spotlessly clean which serve great food. WIll definitely return in fact we have booked another short break for April.,

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Myself and my boyfriend (both in mid 20s) stayed her for 1 week in Sept 2010. Hotel was lovely, as was Alvor.

HOTEL:
The hotel is surrounded by gardens, through which you walk to get to the beach - which was beautiful! Never overly busy and the sea was lovely! We tended to go to the beach in the early afternoon for a few hours and then back to the pool - which was clean and not too cold and always had plenty of sunbeds (hotel provided the towels - so more suitcase room for shoes!) the room was very clean and the sheets were cleaned regulary (esp as i got fake tan on them alot!) the room and bathroom are very modern and bright and clean - much nicer than other 4 star hotels I've stayed in abroad. Our room overlooked the carpark, which didn't bother me as I don't go on holiday to sit on the hotel balcony!

ALVOR:
we went into alvor town every night for dinner. lots of amazing resturants and would recommend Murisco Bar for cocktails! YUM! The thing I liked best about Alvor was it was all young couples or couples in their 50s or 60s - few kids in Sept - perfect for us.

I would also recommend a day trip to Sea Marina - not usually my kind of thing - but the day flew by and was really fun!! bus picks you up from hotel and takes about an hour to get there (as it picks up from another resort - this is when I realised how nice Alvor was, the neighbouring town on Portmaio looked run down and the people staying their didn't look like the sort of people I'd want to have to look at on holiday!!!)

Overall, I would defintely recommend Dom Joao and Alvor and will be back soon!

My only critism is the 5-10 min walk into town at night - might put a few people off as it's a walk alongside a road - we didn't mind though and felt safe enough, but i'd say it would only cost less than 5 euro in a taxi home if you weren't comfortable walking home in the dark.

If you're thinking of booking this and want a relaxing holiday, with a bright clean hotel, lots of lovely resturants and no rowdy people, book now!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Holidaytimes2011
Reviewed February 16, 2011

What can we say that it hasn’t been said already about the Dom Joao in Alvor? Going through the various comments on the TA page you get the feeling that this Hotel is loved and appreciated by anyone, couples like us, families with children, business groups, whether is summer or winter. We had our experience in January and it was just magnificient, you can’t beat the location, the Dom Joao sits exactly on the beautiful, clean sandy beach, lovely walks. Stunning part of the coast with rock formations and little coves not far from hotel.

Rooms are just perfect, we had sea view…WOW! definitely worth that extra cost, well furnished, comfortable beds, with one of those spa-like showers which gives you a “hydro massage” and play soft music in the background (i might install one in my house, my husband doesn’t now it yet). Dom Joao also boasts magnificient gardens set on its ground, and although it wasn’t very warm we did enjoy just laying on our sunbeds soaking up the sun rays.

We were on B&B and it suited us just fine, Alvor village is only 20 min walk from the Hotel and if you like to discover new eating places Alvor does the job for you. Plenty of restaurants for any pocket and taste, from freshly caught fish and sea food to any sort of meat, including international cuisine.
The staff at the Dom Joao are the real asset, very friendly, smiling and efficient, never had a complaint, rooms are cleaned regularly and beach/bathroom towels fresh every day.
One last note, the transfer from and to the Airport, we did some research on the internet and came up with a company called myalgarvetransfers com which had excellent reviews not only on it’s own website but also on other travellers, holidays sites. Very impressed with service, free gift on arrival, private car directly to Hotel, efficient professional drivers and extremely competitve compared to other firms.

We want to thank everyone at the Dom Joao for the magnificent treatment we received, and by the time this review will be published our next holidays will be booked at this beautiful Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple