Stayed at the Pestana Dom Jao for 2 weeks in July. Booked half board with a garden room and was given a suite on the first floor facing the pool/sea and gardens. Room was nicely furnished with contemporary decor and very comfortable. LCD TV with english channels was nice,with a massive balcony. Only slight problem was that the shower screen leaked onto the tiled floor,and there was an infrequent hot water supply in the mornings, but we did'nt complain as the room was otherwise perfect and did'nt want to be moved!
The food was to a very good standard,not a massive selection but it was always cooked very well and presented nicely. The restaurant staff were friendly & helpful, only downside being the drinks which were quite pricey,but what you would expect to pay at any European 4 star hotel.
A nice saltwater pool which got very busy after about 10am, sunbeds were plentiful and the clean towels provided every day for the pool or the beach were a nice touch.
The only criticism of the pool area was the cobbled stone floor which did'nt get cleaned often enough, but other than that it was all ok. The beach is literally on the doorstep, plenty of sunbeds and shades at 10 euros a day. Lovely clean beach with a few nice coves & bays nearby, and nice beach bars which were cheaper than the Hotel.
If you wanted to take your evening meal at lunchtime,you could eat at the Hotel garden restaurant and was allowed 15 euros each towards the bill which was quite good.
The local town of Alvor was a little dissapointing, not really much there other than a few tacky souvenir shops, one or two fish restaurants and a couple of bars. It is about a 15 minute walk to Alvor from the Hotel, but other than that there is very little to do in the evenings. The Hotel provides entertainment in the lounge bar most evenings,but it is only really background music, and a twice weekly show staged by the animation team which is not bad. Overall we had a really nice relaxing holiday,with wall to wall sunshine and only one part cloudy day. If you like a beach/pool holiday this is perfect for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana D. João II is a is a 4-star hotel overlooking the sandy Alvor beach with calm, crystal clear waters. It is only 10 minutes on foot from the town centre, very close to the Alvor river. Take a dive into one of the 2 outdoor saltwater swimming pools surrounded by lush and peaceful gardens, or relax at the Spa with an indoor swimming pool, Turkish bath and sauna where you can schedule a Magic Spa massage. For your meals, there is 1 restaurant and 3 bars (2 of which only open in the summer). If you have kids, the Pestana Kids Club is the perfect place for them to have fun (open from June to September). All rooms offer a balcony with views of the sea (frontal or side), garden or hotel grounds and have a TV and Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and HotelPower so you can book your Pestana Dom Joao II reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Dom Joao Ii Hotel Alvor
- Pestana Dom Joao Ii Alvor