“Dom Joao 11”

Pestana Dom Joao II
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Alvor
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is fabulous the facilities are the best the hotel staff are extremely friendly and are very helpful in anything you require. we have been to this hotel about 8 times over the years and do not want to go to any other, hotel cannot fault it.

Room Tip: have a sea view on the higher floors
1  Thank d0ughnut
There are newer reviews for Pestana Dom Joao II

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Recently stayed here for a week in Oct 2012. We have always stayed in Lagos due to its bars and restaurants but Alvor beats it hands down. Great little town with some super bars i.e Hickeys Pub.
Rooms were fine, staff were helpful, beach area looked fantastic (even though it rained everyday). Drinks were a little expensive and the food was standard hotel food (but not bad).
We golfed everyday so didnt spend too much time here but we will return.

Room Tip: Beach view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank easygoing28
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was our second visit, but we have also stayed at other Pestana hotels in the Algarve. One particularly good feature is its proximity to the town of Alvor, which is an easy walk.
Also, now that the miles of boardwalks have been completed, there are many attractive walks. The beach is excellent, and the town of Alvor is really nice.
The hotel itself lacks nothing. It has all amenities you need--indoor and outdoor pools, excellent breakfast, bar service, good rooms, extremely clean. But above all there is an air of friendliness---typically Portuguese.
We like eating out, so did not have dinner, but the lunches were good.
Finally, we booked direct, which meant very good value. Booking direct was easy.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and get a sea view. It is worth it for the sunset.
1  Thank jbwade
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was my 2nd visit to this hotel. Last year my Teenage daughter and I went on our own and decided this year we would take my mother on her first holiday outside the UK in over 45 years. I knew she would love Alvor and the location of this hotel. We booked a superior sea view room... I would highly recommend it, the views are breathtaking! Having previously stayed in a car park view room I will certainly pay for the upgrade in future.
The location is marvellous, directly on the beach and a ten minute walk into the lovely town of Alvor. A bus journey to Lagos costs €8 return per person, the bus stop is directly across the road from the hotel and bus tickets can be bought from reception. There is also a little shop less than a 5 minute walk away from the hotel.... Turn right out of the hotel and follow the road past the little bowling alley.
I thought the food was fabulous the year. Breakfast has many choices, lots of fresh fruit (the most delicious oranges), cereal, yogurt, at least 3 types of eggs, sausage (look like mini hotdogs but taste ok actually), bacon, cooked meats, cheeses, various breads, croissants and cake or waffles. The evening meals were even better, the most spectacular salad bar! Must be tasted to be believed! The main meals were always nice but never my favourite part so I ate lots of salads, breads and the desserts ( which are to die for) best creme brûlée ever!! My only disappointment is that the vegetarian options have got worse. My daughter is a vegetarian and last year loved the soups and salads which was pretty much all she could eat at the hotel. This year however the soups with exception to the tomato soup were too watery and not as nice and a lot of the salads contained meat or fish. She ate lots of lettuce, tomatoes, peppers etc and she must have eaten her body weight in olives. The veggie main meal option was always pasta, chips or boiled potatoes. With the gorgeous food they create for meat eaters I'm sure they can come up with better for the vegetarians!
The rooms are not huge and I was a little concerned about 3 of us fitting in but actually it was fine. My daughter had the chais lounge made up into a bed for her and she said it was very comfortable. The bathroom is a lovely size, very nicely done with the best showers I've ever experienced in a hotel. Huge rainfall shower head. Toiletries provided, soap, shower gel, shampoo all nice but I couldn't use them as I have sensitive skin so I brought my own. There is a safe which there is a charge by day for use, a small fridge which you can have stocked by the hotel (big,big charges) or fill it with your own drinks for no charge. Having stayed before I knew there were no tea, coffee facilities in the room and the coffee at breakfast is really not good so I brought a travel kettle and my own coffee.
We couldn't use the outdoor pool as the weather in October isn't really suitable for it, although some guests did... Even in the rain!! An indoor heated pool is a must for my daughter when on holiday and this was something we loved last year. This year however it was freezing, I don't mean it's ok when you get used to it, once your shoulders under etc etc, I mean takes your breath away freezing cold. A number of guests complained about this whilst we were there and every now and then someone would come in with a thermometer and wander away again but it didn't get better until there was a thunder storm and that was our 2nd to last day. So that was a huge disappointment for my daughter and my mother. It really is a shame that the hotel feel they need to save money in this way. My other gripe about the indoor pool is that it is part of the spa, has the most relaxing music playing but is never manned either at the spa reception or poolside. It does state no children should be there without adults but this was never adhered to so there were children screaming, running around on the wet floor, taking huge pool toys in, dive bombing and generally having a blast. I don't object to them being there at all, after all it's their holiday too. What troubled me was that there could easily have been accidents and without parents or pool attendants to keep an eye.... Who was looking after them?? I do think the parents are to blame for this but the hotel should either enforce their own rule of no children without parents or just leave it as a spa pool...... Not for children.
The staff on the whole are great. The bar staff on most evenings would spot me on my way to the bar and meet me half way to take my drinks order and then bring them over the table. Breakfast and dinner plates are cleared away as soon as you are finished without ever feeling rushed. The receptionists are very very good, really helpful and friendly. We booked a couple of trips through them and every one of them was smooth.
The entertainment was very different from last year. There was a different singer every night, all were very good. The caberet night which is performed by hotel staff who are not professional entertainers but choreograph and perform it all them selves were really very good, with something for everyone.
We loved our holiday and I'm hoping to see reviews in the next 12 months that assure me the pool situation and the veggie options have improved so We can plan another trip.
I'm sorry if this review seems a bit long winded but I tried to think about what kind of information I might be looking for in a review but I booked my holiday. I guess it depends what your looking for, I never go away in high season as I don't like crowds. I'm not a big drinker. I much prefer relaxing holidays spending quality time with my nearest and dearest. Personally I think alvor itself has something for all tastes. This hotel would be absolutely perfect me for if it only fix my 2 little whines.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Ohsomanyquestions
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here again at the end of October 2012. An excellent hotel for the price, although I would agree with a recent review that WiFi should be available in all rooms and FREE, there is no need to charge for this service, which is a modern day requirement when on holiday.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank David G
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel needs to improve Internet access for guests by providing WiFi in the rooms. It is inadequate to only make it available in the lobby, where it is only free for 30 minutes. WiFi should be provided in every hotel room in the same way as TV is provided. Everybody needs access at some point on their holiday and some of us can only have a holiday if Internet access is available (due to the need to stay in touch with the office - sad really!)

Otherwise a nice hotel in fabulous beach location.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DOHDublin
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Myself, my partner and another couple stayed here for a 9 day break in October 2012. The hotel is clean, well presented and the staff really cannot do enough for you. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and all the furnishings were new and of excellent quality. The grounds were spacious and very well kept, clean and attractive.

The beach is less than a minutes walk away, and was 4 miles of clean, clear golden sand and blue water.

The location was a little out of the main town, but an easy 10 minute walk either through the main town or along the beach and harbour front. I would be happy to stay here again and am looking at prices for our silver wedding anniversary next year - it's that good!

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for a sea view, as the land view rooms and balconies do not get sun for...
1  Thank DaisyDogManchester