We booked via Jet2 into the Pestana Delphim hotel in Alvor after choosing this hotel as it was reviewed as good for couples. On arrival we find a reception teeming with children, despite choosing to book outside the British school holidays to avoid this. We were unaware that Portuguese schools go back two weeks later. When we got to the very pleasant receptionist Sylvia on the desk I expressed a desire for a lower floored room due to my husband's bad knee which happened after we booked the holiday. Sylvia then informed us that the hotel was actually overbooked so we would be put up in a sister hotel nearby in one of their apartments on the complex. We could stay the one night or if we liked the whole holiday. We were sent to have lunch and decide. The restuarant resembled a school canteen with children running everywhere so we made our decision to give the other hotel a try. We were bused over to the Pestana Dom Joao II and we were impressed immediately with the totally calmer atmosphere. The apartment was at the far end of the complex requiring a good 5-8 minute walk to the main hotel building where we would have to have all meals and drinks to still be all inclusive. It doesn't sound far but with bad knees it was painful at times. The apartment was lovely though, very modern and extremely well apointed, fully fitted kitchenette and nice furnishings but best of all a fabulous view over the lovely beach.
We stayed all 14 days and were well satisfied despite the sometimes annoying comments from the waiters when we pointed out our all inclusive bands "Oh you no pay". We were quick to point out that we had paid in advance and unfair when it was not our fault. We later found out that this overbooking was happening repeatedly so that many of the Delfim's guests ended up in this hotel in the apartments up for sale or rent.
Overall a pleasant holiday was had, the staff were mostly friendly although the men on the reception desk sometimes were a little abrupt. The food was generally pretty good although more choice of the mains would have made it better. Saying this there was always a fish dish and two meat choices, but the salads and desserts many more choices.The entertainment left a lot to be desired however my husband and I aren't that bothered and in the second week we went out more. Probably the worst aspect of the hotel was the very hard beds in the apartment and all the sunbeds.
We will visit Portugal again but I don't think it will be to a Pestana hotel unless they sort out their booking problems although a bad start did have a happy ending.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana D. João II is a is a 4-star hotel overlooking the sandy Alvor beach with calm, crystal clear waters. It is only 10 minutes on foot from the town centre, very close to the Alvor river. Take a dive into one of the 2 outdoor saltwater swimming pools surrounded by lush and peaceful gardens, or relax at the Spa with an indoor swimming pool, Turkish bath and sauna where you can schedule a Magic Spa massage. For your meals, there is 1 restaurant and 3 bars (2 of which only open in the summer). If you have kids, the Pestana Kids Club is the perfect place for them to have fun (open from June to September). All rooms offer a balcony with views of the sea (frontal or side), garden or hotel grounds and have a TV and Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TravelUp, World Independent Hotel Promotion, PESTANA MANAGEMENT - Servicos de Gestao S.A., TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pestana Dom Joao II reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Dom Joao Ii Hotel Alvor
- Pestana Dom Joao Ii Alvor