Yellow Alvor Garden
Luna Alvor Village(Alvor)(Great Value!)
$78
Agoda.com
$159
$100
Pestana Hotel Group
Pestana Dom Joao II(Alvor)(Great Value!)
$125
$118
$172
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsfishshuttle busalvor townpool areaminute walka lovely holidayplenty of sunbedsclean towelstwin bedscleaned dailycleaned every daymost nightskids poolrestaurants and barssun loungerspoolsterrapins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed in Yellow Alvor Hotel in September 2012 and would rate it very highly. The communal, reception and swimming pool areas are very clean and well kept. The hotel offers a breakfast which caters for all (a cooked breakfast, croisants, rolls, cheese & ham, fruit etc). We did not stay for dinner at the hotel; it is a limited offering of buffet food, but to experience Alvor you should make use of the wide range of fantastic restaurants in the village. The hotel is about a 20min average walk from the village centre, or 3.90 Euro standard taxi fare (you will always find a taxi in the taxi rank in the village). The rooms are well equipped (hair dryer, TV, plenty of storage, safe). All have balconies and are either north, carpark facing, or south, swimming pool & garden facing (luckily ours was south facing). Rooms cleaned and clean towels given daily, helpful staff. In all we would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: If you can, get swimming pool facing & 2nd (top) floor.
4  Thank Mark R
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just returned yesterday 23/09/12 and So disappointed with my stay at the Yellow Alvor Hotel. Congratulations to whoever did the professional photographs if I experienced what the photographs portrayed I would have been delighted. Firstly, staff so unfriendly and obnoxious, breakfast awful...... same horrid food everyday. Pool was not very clean and didn't dare take a dip in case I caught something. Spa facilities... where??? Rooms cleaned everydayand fresh towels so no complaints there, room was very small and dark, bed awful it was like sleeping on a crispy board. Bathroom desperate need of refurb, grout disgusting and cracked tiles. Paintwork throughout room and hotel in desperate need of an overhaul, very tired looking hotel. Even the road and pathways out of the hotel very grubby, it's a good 15 minute walk to Alvor for the nightlife which is ok if you are fit. Beach too far to walk so car advised, you could walk it in about 40 minutes if you don't mind the heat. Alvor is a beautiful resort and place to holiday but sadly the Yellow Alvor not the place to stay. We checked out yesterday at 12.00pm and had a late flight home, hotel half empty but still wouldn't let us keep on our room, didn't even offer to keep our luggage safe for us or arrange transport to the airport, been in Portugal and many resorts now and the staff in this place were so ignorant it was surreal. Only the young adults who worked the breakfast in the morning were hospitable, reception and cleaning staff need a lesson in customer care and etiquette. Will not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Best tip I could offer is stay well clear of this hotel
5  Thank Debbie760
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Returned from this hotel yesterday, in fact at the time of writing I was there only 24 hours ago so my memory is fresh.
There are some reviews knocking this place, but I guess it depends what you are looking for. As hotels go, I think this is a pretty nice one.

A lot has been made about the 4 star rating in previous reviews, well if you take time to read the requirements of what a 4 star hotel should have, this one has them. Fair enough it might only JUST be a 4 star, but it's there.

The staff, contrary to what I've seen reported were without fail courteous, and as helpful as they could be. Upon arrival we were sorted with a room key straight away, no fuss, and any questions were answered perfectly fine.

The grounds are kept impeccably by a man with a strimmer and a collection of lawnmowers, the poor lad never stopped. On my visit I think the season was at its back end, and the hotel was very quiet, with no trouble getting a sun lounger by the pool.

My only slight criticism would be the price of drinks, ok you expect cocktail to be expensive but paying the equivalent of £4.50 for 2 halves of coke out of a normal 2 litre bottle was a bit steep in anyones language. And a large bottle of water is $2.50, whereas at a shop in town where it's 50 cents!

Breakfast, yes basic - but it's a 4 star hotel, not a Michelin star. There is a buffet of cooked food such as eggs, sausage, bacon, beans etc, cereals, toast, meats and cheeses, yogurts, tea/coffee. So I don't know what people are complaining about saying there is no choice.. There are plenty of ingredients there if you're creative! I think people mean there is no chef/waitress to do it for you.

The pool however was clean, well kept, and with a soundtrack of the latest latin jazz sounds at the bar it was (even tho I don't like latin jazz) pretty relaxing.

The rooms had everything you needed, and with enough comfort too.. You know the kind of average hotel room you get in Spain etc? Well it's nicer than that.. Although you might say it was slightly small but not enough to be a problem. If you want to treat yourself they have some Jr Suites which might be better. But the room was cleaned every day, fresh towels and shower gels etc. Though perhaps they could do with a bit more bleach in the toilet/drains... A slight honk there sometimes.

I think however there is a big difference in your experience depending on which side of the hotel you are on. I'd say you want a POOL VIEW room, not the one overlooking the tennis courts (or whatever they bill it as but you only have 2 choices so make it pool.) With a pool view room you will have sunshine most of the day, and I'd say it quieter at night.. There is a hotel next door and if you're not facing the pool you might be kept awake by some low quality karaoke.

Some people mentioned a lack of entertainment, well for me that's just fine. I don't want to go to a hotel to be force fed rubbish cabaret so I'm cool with that. And yes there is nothing for kids, but for me that is not a problem! It wasn't without any entertainment though, oh no, ladies and gentlemen you have to witness Xica and Xico. Xico sometimes does a turn solo, but not every night. He also looks rather like the actor Steve Carrell, and he'll sing all the popular classics with a slight Portuguese accent.

It's a nice 15/20 min walk into the part of the town where the restaurants are which we did every day for both lunch and dinner, and there are some amazing places to go at night so don't worry that there is no entertainment, get out and see real life!

You get the idea, if you're looking at going here you have nothing to worry about, get a pool room, if you can afford a Jr Suite then bingo. You'll find it's a very nice hotel, ignore the moaners!

Room Tip: Pick a room with a pool view.
1  Thank Mr_Clueso_Inspects
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We returned home on the 12 September after an 11 night highly enjoyable stay at the Yellow Alvor Hotel. It was just what the doctor ordered so to speak. We enjoyed a pool/garden view (highly recomended), of which we asked for via phoning the hotel two days before departure (thanks Paulo & Rui). The pool/garden area are stuningly beautiful and ideal for a quiet relaxing holiday. We had no issues whatsoever with our room, however this is was our first time in a 4 star hotel, we usually stay in 2 & 3 star hotels (Greece), of which the step up was most definitely noticeable for us. We had no issues with the food, plenty of choice and all freshly prepared. The staff were also brilliant, even though Jack did commnet on occasion that I was eating a bit too much, and it was not healthy for me. He probably did have a point. All staff/cleaners are friendly and very helpfull, and they work very hard. Alvor itself is lovely, and catered for our holiday perfectly, it is not roudy and generally caters for couples and families I would say. We took a trip to Savilla in Spain, an all day of a trip for 36 Euros each, well worth it as Savilla is a city full of character and history, we even found a street named after me (Miguel :-). We hired a a Yamaha XT 660 from Motorent (leaflets in hotel) of which the service was also faultless, the young guy who dealt with us spoke English of an unusual type, of which caused much joking and laughing. "I can speak English, I learned it form a book :-) The lady from motorent was also lovely too, she picked us up and dropped us back off in respect of picking up the bike and when dropping the bike off at the end. Just to mention that our room had blackout currtains, of which performed brillinatly (hardly any light coming through of which aided sleeping) Loved it all - Miguel & Lorraine

Room Tip: Phone hotel before departure and ask for a pool/garden view.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I totally agree with numpt, but have to add that who ever took the pictures of the hotel i would congradulate them because it was far from that.room was small, balcony was wiery no light nowhere to hang clothes.no kettle.breakfast was a joke.Oh not to mention how rude the staff were.We met another couple who felt the same way.When i went up to check out they didnt care if we had a good or bad time just took the key walked off and blanked me..The only good thing about the hotel were the lovely ladies who gave us fresh towels and a smile.Also the pool if u were able to have fun in it..Im sorry if I sound like im moaning but this was far from 4* and it was not worth 1200.

2  Thank Tina f