“Foolishly I trusted the other reviews”

Silmar Restaurante and Snack-bar
Ranked #97 of 154 Restaurants in Alvor
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: On the small square on Rua Marques de Pombal / Rua Cabral. Indoor and out door seating. We offer everything from snacks, ice-creams, drinks or even full meals with starters and desserts.
London, United Kingdom
“Foolishly I trusted the other reviews”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Makes you wonder who writes the other lengthy reviews here.
This restaurant was a joke. Free bottle of wine offer was alarming but I foolishly ignored it.
I went with three kids in the evening and asked for one adult and three half portions, no free bottle of wine was needed and was not offered. No drinks menu so fingers crossed we wouldn't get ripped off for the drinks when the bill comes. Portugal food is about fish, the only fish that was remotely affordable on the menu was sardines - so we had to settle for a steak and ribs.
Food came and was OK, nothing special. The cheapest salad bits, frozen chips, not a gourmet experience at all but plenty to fill up your stomach with cheap wine if that's what you are after. Steak on a thin side and comes well done regardless of what you ask for.
Family friendly meant there was a huge TV screen that kids were glued to most of the time.
The bill came and was charged full price for all meals, had to argue about it and apparently only pasta and fish fingers can be ordered for kids.
The stale bread and small saucer of olives with some tin tuna was charged at 2 Eur a head, even for the kids who didn't want to touch it.
The restaurant asked for cash with no signs or warnings that they do not take cards. Luckily I just had some in my wallet but 1.50 short of the full amount and they let me go after a short argument.
No money was left for the ice cream I promised to the kids, an experience I would never ever want to have again.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank LifeIsARollercoaster

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“One of our favourites”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Only ever used the snack bar so can't comment on restaurant. This was our favourite place to have a drink during the day, sitting in the nice little square watching the world go by. Kids liked the snacks and ice-creams, service very friendly. Had the English Breakfast there on our last morning, and it was the best one we had in Alvor.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank SolanaMike
Rhondda, Wales, United Kingdom
“Breakfast / cakes and coffee”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Found this gem about 3 days into our holiday and I ended up here every morning for an English breakfast ( my only British meals while away, great for soaking up the night before ;0) ...) Great choice of toasties, sandwiches, cakes etc. also great coffee. Very popular with the locals for coffee's.

Visited July 2012
Corby, United Kingdom
“flute music galore”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

well the sardines from here are beautiful 7 euros potatoes and salad very nice the flute music from the guys was lovely to hear always lots of people watching

Visited July 2012
1 Thank jillhp
Rugby, United Kingdom
“I FELT RIPPED OFF!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Silmar is in an excellent position based on the corner of the main square with tables in the square itself. An ideal place to sit sipping an after-dinner brandy and watch the world go by? Yes - until you get the bill!!! I was charged more for a large brandy than you'd pay for a full bottle at the off-licence just a few yards away./
I've never eaten there and after this experience I never will.

• Visited August 2012