“Amazing hotel, great for families!”

Alvor Baia Resort Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Alvor
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have just arrived home after a week at the alvor baia, one word to describe it is amazing! We have 2 children and booked last minute, definitely a good choice. The hotel is spotless and clean and modern, rooms HUGE and with 2 plasma screens and the best shower I have ever had. The maid cleans everyday and changes towels, and you have a kitchen area with fridge and a lovely balcony. The check in is quick and efficient, pool area is fantastic with a children's pool area and main pools, all safe and clean and the kids love running around playing with the model ducks from the hotel. The lobby bar is not an issue as it is just 1 minute walk and the queues were always quick and there was always a sunbed as long as you didn't get up at lunch time, and no running to reserve the beds at 6am, you could get up and have breakfast and there would still be some available. The staff are friendly and helpful and the reception will give you any information you need and help you book trips or change money etc. they have a games room for the kids and a shop and a great kids club. The pirate adventure playground was fantastic and kept my kids busy for hours, and the night bar was good especially the coffees and the mini disco. We didn't see much of the night shows as we were tired but they had something most nights. The food was great and always hot and a good choice. We preferred the blue restaurant out of the 2 and did not consider it to be 'canteen' style as some people have said. It was light, airy and clean and the staff friendly. The bus down to the beach is fine, it ran continuously from 930 till lunch and then from 1330 till dinner time, and the beach is lovely, one of the best I have seen. We paid 10euros and got 2 beds with a parasol and table, 2 free drinks and a whole bucket of kids toys for the beach to borrow which saves lugging them all down from the hotel. The town of alvor is nice too, lots of nice ice cream places and bars and restaurants. My kids loved teddy mountain, the Portuguese version of build a bear. The only thing that was a negative is the transfer as it took so long! about 90 minutes, but I think if you can book a direct taxi this might help. Overall a fantastic holiday to a fantastic hotel that is definately the best one in the algarve!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are lovely we had a suite on the 4th floor
5  Thank Angela P

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Today we have returned from the Baia after a lovely week. Our party was 4 adults and 3 children aged 11, 8 and 8. The check-in process was faultless (a small wait, but Thursday is a very busy day for incoming/outgoing guests). The rooms are super. Spacious and very clean. I did e-mail the hotel a while ago to request a pool view, but didn't get one - still had a lovely view of mountains and distant beach (the balcony was huge). We were on the first floor and did not have any problem with internal or external noise while we were there. Aircon works brilliantly as do the flat screen TVs which have many English-speaking channels. Maid service daily. I took my own hairdryer, but there is one in the bathroom already. My 8 yr old son slept on the sofa-bed, which was a little narrow but comfortable.

Next to the food - I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could not find something they enjoy at every single sitting. The food has obviously been given some negative press on here and I was worried about it. My husband does not eat meat, but got to eat beautiful fresh fish every day (tuna, sea bass, sardines, cod and some that he had never tried before). The breakfast selection is huge comprising cold meats/cheese, fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals, lovely pastries and fresh breads and lots of hot buffet items. Coffee is gorgeous.

Lunch and dinner - fresh soup of the day (and a childs soup of the day), huge selection of cold salad items and meat/fish. The hot buffet always had a chef cooking the meat/fish of the day and there were lots of other hot choices with numerous hot sides. Help yourself to free-flowing beer, wine and soft drinks. I tried the red and white wine and both were absoutely drinkable! The puddings looked fab but I made more use of the cheese and biscuit selection.

Snacks!!!! Honestly - you can eat all day if you want. I did pop to the snack bar a couple of times for the kids and there are hot dogs, burgers, fresh salad with cheese and ham, lots of little cakes and pizza - this runs twice a day for a couple of hours.

The resturants are cafe style and certainly quite noisy - but it never troubled us. Maybe if you are a couple looking for an intimate dining experience it may be better to eat out a few nights - incidentally we never ate out once.

Another negative that appeared here several times was the bar service and to be honest when we pulled up outside the huge hotel, I did worry that only 2 bars may not work. Trust me, it was fine - bearing in mind this last week we were there was the busiest ever for them, I did not wait more than 2 minutes to be served.

Evening entertainment is not great. If you like to stay up late partying the night away, then this is not for you. Our kids were spending 10 hours each day in the pool so by the time we had eaten we were ready for bed.

Fantastic family hotel and great value for money.

5  Thank paulapun
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We Stayed at the Hotel Alvor Baia in the Algarve from the 6th August to the 12th August 2012. The hotel is modern and the rooms were extremely spacious and clean. There was a kitchen and living area ideal for a small family. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. There was an excellent choice of foods at meal times. The only downside was that you had to pay for the use of the room safety deposit box and there was no gym. The village of Alvor is about a twenty minute walk from the hotel. It is well worth taking an excursion trip to the beautiful village of Lagos. Lagos has a beach and a harbor. The thirty minute trip by taxi costs around twenty five euros. Alternatively you could catch a local bus which costs about four euros from Alvor. I would certainly recommend this hotel to any one going to the Algarve.

From Gahir Family

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that are close to the outside seating area and bar as it can get slightly noisy around t...
3  Thank gurdeep g
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is such a lovely hotel, we would definately go back and are planning to next year already!

We went for a last minute holiday in July 2012. The hotel is so welcoming and we could not fault the lovely staff and in particular the cleanliness of the place. The transfer from the airport was approx 1hour.

The room was really modern and had a seperate lounge, kitchen and dining area from the bedroom and bathroom even though we were all inclusive. We also had a large double balcony.

The all inclusive drinks menu had a great choice, super bock which is the local beer was just great.
The food choice was endless, loads of fresh beautifully prepared food.

The hotel is situated about 20mins walk away from Alvor centre. (we went there for an evening out and for a walk around during a couple of days and it is really nice)

A free shuttle train is provided from bang outside the hotel every hour to go to and from the beach, the train only takes about 10mins to get to the beach as well.
The pool is the largest one i have ever seen and the temperature was just right, each evening the pool area got tidied and cleaned ready for the next day. The room was cleaned every day and on a couple of occasions we had a long lie in until after 12noon and the room still got serviced before tea time.

I had a full body massage in the spa during our stay which was one of the best massages i have had, the lady was very proffesional and either before or after i got free usage of the spa facilites.

Our only fault(and its only a small fault) is that the entertainment in the evening wasn't great, but we were more than happy to sit in the upstairs bar area, relax with good drinks and good company.

Do not listen to the bad reviews.

Room Tip: Book a pool view room so you dont get woken by the farm yard!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Erica8521
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have just returned from the Alvor Baia Hotel Apartamento, and if i had believed all the reviews i read before i left may well not have gone. Firstly this hotel is in it's infancy and was originally going to be self catering so complaints about noisy dining areas are a little unfair, as i doubt this was the intended use, also if you go in the school holidays you expect to have hundreds of kids around they have to eat it's a legal requirement and they will make a noise !! The food was always hot, varied and well presented. I found all the staff really helpful the rooms large clean and tidy, The grounds around the pool were more than adequate for all the guests and if you want to get up at 11 o'clock and expect someone to have left a couple of sun loungers by the pool free for you to walk up to and use get in the real world !! The areas that could probably benefit from some improvements are the bar area where a poolside serving area would cut out a bit of time waiting to be served and keep it free of wet floors. Also the entertainment left a bit to be desired in the evenings but this was all minor observations. Vanessa, Gina & Luis will always put themselves out for your comfort, so go and enjoy this new venue.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 276 - 280 area and above are at the far end of the hotel and a bit of a walk if you hav...
8  Thank Funnana
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

I attempted to reserve 2 rooms for me, my husband and our 2 children. Being 3 adults and a child we thought that would be better than being overcrowded in 1 studio. I was told to simply take the All Inclusive price we had to stay in 1 room and double it! ... Why would that be? Just because we are in 2 rooms does not mean we will eat and drink double the food?

When I queried this I received a down right rude and sarcastic response. I'll go elsewhere with my custom.

Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Specialkeh
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel is lovely and new.Check in was very quick and the reception staff were very polite and helpful.
Rooms were great for a family of four, as we didn't spend much time in our room space was never a problem. We loved the food, there was always a good variety and selection of fish,meats and salads. The pool towels were great and you could exchange them daily at reception between 7pm- 9pm. There is no deposit but a fee of 20Euro for each one not handed back.
The kids did enjoy the games area with air hockey and table tennis and did use the tennis courts outside for 10euro deposit.
The pool as previous posts state is huge and quite cold but great for cooling off in the midday sun. We didn't bother to watch the night time entertainment.The kids were glad of the free wifi close by reception . Personal choice I have to agree with the previous post about chain smoking that is why we tried to always get seats inside in the evening which was never a problem. Bars were busy but the queue didn't take long to disperse. We found the bar and restaurant staff to be very friendly and efficient. We used the green room for most of our meals. Alvor is a lovely fishing village with quaint wee streets and lots of lovely fish restaurants!! We had a great relaxing week in the sun in a lovely new hotel and would have no problem recommended it to friends and family.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family