“Overall good experience but some teething problems.”

Alvor Baia Resort Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Alvor
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My partner and I spent one week at this hotel from May 31st and overall had a really good experience and a lovely holiday, however, the hotel very much still has some kinks to iron out.

First of all, the room was excellent. We luckily bagged a pool view room (I did email ahead as one reviewer suggested, however due to not receiving a reply, I'm not sure if it was cheekyness or luck that got us this room!) Always very clean with a modern interior. Good working air conditioning which is always a plus. Plenty of storage room. However, it's quite clear the room was designed by a man as there is only a mirror in the bathroom and a mirror on the wardrobe doors with no accessible plugs nearby. It made any hair styling etc a bit challenging! As has been previously said, the balcony is a very large size and catches sun for a good portion of the day.

The pool itself is very large and as you'd expect, quite chilly. The pool area again, was immaculate, a theme that carried on throughout the entire hotel and its grounds. Very well maintained. It did catch a lot of wind but on very hot days, this was a blessing. I found the wind far worse on the beach. The shuttle train from the hotel was very helpful in regards to the beach and runs every hour.

If you fancy a visit to Alvor, it's a short ten minute walk downhill (which of course means the return is uphill but a taxi at night is only 3.90). It's a lovely place with lots of fish and seafood restaurants. It isn't exactly a wild night out, as you would expect for a small fishing village, but there is a good choice of bars and an evening is what you make of it.

We can't say much for the hotel entertainment as we never attended. It seemed to be aimed more at children which is fine. Evenings in the bar could become very boring, with most families sat with their nose in an ipad and kids playing on D.S's. No one seemed to chat to each other at times! However, we went down to Alvor most evenings so this wasn't particularly a problem. If a chillout and do nothing holiday is what you want, this is perfect. However, there are lots of kids so the hotel doesn't seem to have yet found it's niche in that sense.

Now, sadly, the negatives. The dining experience at the hotel really needs to improve. That aspect is by no means 4 star. The dining room is very much like a school canteen, as has already been said, and at busy times can become VERY noisy. It is not somewhere you want to take your time and enjoy your meal, it is more a case of get the food down and get out. And this is very much encouraged by the staff. I understand the general attitude will be that this is what you expect of an all inclusive buffet, however having been to other hotels all inclusive, I never at any point felt I had to hurry my meal down as the staff wanted my table. It was an uncomfortable experience, and one particular staff member made it this way most evenings. I don't feel it is appropriate to name the gentleman, however, as he appeared to be the head waiter, I do not expect such rude behaviour. One several occasions, i tried to ask him a question as he showed us to our table, and had his hand put in front of my mouth and basically shushed as he continued to walk. I also saw him repremand families on two seperate occasions for requesting a table for a certain number of people, and then waiting for the rest of their party to arrive. They must have waited around 5 minutes maximum but were told they shouldn't ask for a bigger table if they were going to take so long to occupy it. 20 minutes and I'd have understood but he was embarassing people publicly for little to no reason. I can't imagine it's easy at all to have to look after foreigners day in day out, but this seemed ridiculous.
Also the hotel has 2 dining rooms but only one is currently open but given the number of travellers at the hotel during our stay, and how busy the dining room became, I think it's time to open both.

We also witnessed rude reception staff basically standing "Taking the mick" out of a man who had gone and asked a question they must have deemed stupid. It wasn't done in private and I think people forget that regardless of language barriers, body language gives you away.

The service and dining room itself aside, we felt the food was fine, it was always hot when we got to it. Overall, a lovely hotel but the dining experience and some staff let it down massively.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank shellb0b
Write a ReviewReviews (1,995)

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Lovely hotel, rooms were perfect but that was about it that was good. Food wasn't very good always cold and meat wasn't cooked very well, was served raw chicken breast twice. Staff were very unfriendly and never seemed happy to help you. Pool was a great size but never sat around it or went in it as there was a constant wind blowing. Entertainment was shocking it only lasted for about an hour, never stayed anywhere before where there was so little entertainment. Very boring - people were sitting around playing cards or ds's. Alvor itself was lovely we spent most of our holiday on the beach which says it all.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank Aceread
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I went for 2 weeks on 13 may had a great time ... I would not say this hotel has a lot to do for children unless they make there own entertainment mine did .. Food was good most of the time . No pool bar ..rooms fantastic ... No evening entertainment what there was was rubbish .. All in all we did have a great time and I would return ...

Room Tip: Top floor(( don't really need a pool view ))
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank disney43
Reviewed June 10, 2012

What negative things can I say about this hotel.......wobbly table one morning for breakfast, that's it. A well designed hotel, means that every sunbed is in the sun as well as the pool, every balcony gets the sun in it at some point. They seem to have created a wind tunnel around the pool as there is a constant breeze keeping you cool in the very warm sun. Food was excellent, staff were so helpful, the spa is spot on. It is well catered for young children. My wife and I and our youngest 15 year old daughter went. But as I said a lot of young children were about, some people may not like this, but we enjoyed it. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Try to get a pool side room, the others are lovely, but just got view of mountains.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Condor14
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed for a fortnight, 24 May and 7 June 2012.
All in all a very enjoyable holiday.

Rooms
Large (separate Kitchen and Table, chairs and Sofa bed)
Full sized under worktop fridge
Clean
Tidy
Modern throughout, including large Bathroom
2 LCD TV’s
Mirrored wardrobes
Large balcony (we paid extra for a poolside view)

As we were All Inclusive, we moved the contents of the kitchen drawers to the cupboard above the extractor, freeing up extra space for the kids clothes.

Take along a couple of large IKEA blue bags to hang on the extra hanging rail behind the big white door room segregator, above the shoe space (you’ll know what i mean when you get there).
The rail comes off and you can slide the bag handles on and you’ll have a makeshift laundry. (I’ll stop there, I’m boring myself)

We always found something enjoyable for us and the kids, every meal, great variety and quality.
‘Full cooked’ every morning with lovely bacon, sausages and eggs etc etc etc.
My partner is a vegetarian and always enjoyed what was on offer.
As with most all inclusive hotels, it can become a bit samey after a week and a half but you have the choice to take a trip out if you want too. We only ever had the occasional lunch at the beach.
There’s only about 1 hour of the day when you can’t find something to eat, snacks are served between meal times.

Drink
They have filtered water machines in the dining areas and serve bottled water at the bars, buy bottles from the local spar shop for the room fridge for the morning hangover. You could even fill one up from the water machines, as we did sometimes.
Beer, wine, spirits, Ports, fruit juice, cocktail of the day, etc etc etc.
Last free order at 11pm.
If you want to drink Smirnoff or Ron Bacardi etc, you’ll have to pay extra but I never saw anyone who wasn’t enjoying the local stuff, which tells a story.
Try the local dark rum; it’s like the sugar cane rum in the Caribbean, Cuba libre!

Entertainment
Not the holiday village experience by any stretch of the imagination but our kids enjoyed it, particularly the kids club and mini disco.
The mini disco/hotel dance was left out a bit too many times for the ‘buy the parrot/eagle photo’ shows.
Hugo, the entertainment organiser, won’t hound you, but will also be as fun as you want him to be. He does a very good live music set with another guitarist.
Karaoke? Why not?! Who knows you!
Huge gently sloping 1.4m pool with separate kids pool and large playground.

Alvor Resort
Small resort with as good a beach as I’ve been on, 4km long with caves and coves on one side.
The hotel provides a road train to the beach, fun for the kids.
Only went in to shop for presents, shops are fine, cheap and expensive tastes catered for.
Spoke to other people who had enjoyed the nightlife, cafes and restaurants.
Take an extra bottle of your sun screen as it’s expensive over there, 18 Euros for a medium sized latest technology Piz Buin from the chemist on the corner which we gladly paid.
Remember to apply sun screen even if you get cloudy days, we saw some sore looking adults and kids.

I’ll wind up now.
We had fun and enjoyed a lovely break in a new 4 star all inclusive apartment hotel and it cost us a little more than some of the B&B, self catering deals we were looking at.
We met some great folk.
Would we go back? Probably not, but that’s only because there’s a huge world out there.
Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
19  Thank raffi2222
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed at the Alvor Baia with my daughter and 2 grandsons, aged 3 and 16 months. They really enjoyed it. The food was hit and miss and got boring after the first week. The entertainment is mainly for the kids and they really enjoyed

It was very quiet at night, no banging of room doors or any noise from other guests.

There are lots of places to visit with the kids, Zoomarine was excellent - but they charge an extra 10 euro for a sunbed. Also, Lagos is not too far from Alvor, a bus from there takes 20 minutes, ask the hotel reception for bus times, they are very helpul.

The pool is excellent and very large with a shallow area for the kids.

The beach is lovely, but do not use the cafe on the beach, they charge 3.35 euro for a can of soft drink! Best to buy your drinks from a supermarket and take a cool bag. A sunlounger with shade is 10 euro, but if you are staying only a few hours, knock him down to 5 euro.

Quiz night used the same questions the the first and second week of the holiay, and I presume they use them every week! Can't lose!

We ate out a few times and the food was excellent. The walk into Alvor village takes about 10 - 15 minutes and there are loads of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Monica_8
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We had a great week in alvor the hotel is very new clean but not a lot of atmosphere   We go to a lot of all inclusive hotels because we like the option of eating when we want to. This hotel has no pool bar , and very little option for eating outside the restaurant times. It really is a full board hotel with free drinks. All that said there is no restriction on how many drinks you order and as a party of 24 ( children and adults) its very handy.
The food in the restaurant was very good and as already stated in other reviews their is a microwave to heat things up.
The best part of this area is the beach. It's fantastic all the caves and coves kept every one busy exploring. The cafe in the rocks was nice to get out of the sun and at 4 euros for a toasted tuna sandwich not expensive.

• Stayed: May 2012