“Perfectly Brilliant!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Alvor
Lancashire
“Perfectly Brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

Just returned from a holiday with husband and 18 year old daughter staying at the Alvor Baia. We loved every second there. The hotel is beautiful with lovely spacious rooms and balconies. I have never seen such a large swimming pool. The staff were brilliant and I must make special mention to Hugo the entertainment manager who went out of his way to find a lovely bottle of wine for me. The hotel has an army of staff who seemed to spend all day either cleaning or attending to guests. The food was delicious with something for everyone. We stayed on an all inclusive basis which worked really well for us. The noddy train to the beach is great and if you get chance do the tour of Alvor with Hugo. My daughter found plenty of other people her own age to hang out with, in fact we could only persuade her on 2 occasions out of the week we were there to leave the hotel she liked hanging out there so much and my husband and I chatted away with other guests all the time. A buzzy, happy hotel which we did not want to leave but we will return to. Well done Alvor Baia.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
27 Thank climmo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Polish first
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

My family and I are veterans of this area and have had many many lovely holidays in and around Alvor; quite a few times we have stayed at the Plaza Real in Praia de Rocha and driven to Alvor every evening for dinner with the children. Plaza Real is ok, great kids club, nice rooms, bar snacks/meals ok, and ok atmosphere. The place has started to get tired and the pool furniture is in desperate need of replacement. We know what it is like and the children have a great time, we did try to get in but there were no rooms available, which is why we ended up at Alvor Baia Apartamento........
We booked this hotel direct towards the end of the summer and took our young family. When you arrive the hotel looks stunning, very modern and quite a grand reception/lobby area. It is all very pleasant, but the atmosphere is flat and there doesn't seem to be much character.

Parking: Yes, at no extra cost, although I could see it becoming over subscribed.

Food: We were B+B thankfully. We did dine on one occasion, it was ok. The meal was on the house due to another issue I'll cover later. We spoke to quite a few people who were on Half Board and they had become quite fed up with the meals after about 3 nights!! I could see why, the buffet didn't vary in choice at all. The beautiful fishing town of Alvor is only a 15 min walk away, the quality of the restaurants is superb and they are all child friendly. There is no need to eat at the hotel really.

Rooms: Really smart, the beds and sofa beds are really comfortable. The bath room is really nice too. However, there is absolutely NO storage space, the draws and wardrobes don't accommodate any where near enough. If you are able to empty your cases in to the wardrobes, there is nowhere for you to put the then empty cases. We ended up living out of the cases; the room was sold as a 2 adult and 2 child room. Four medium sized cases with clothes for two weeks and we could put very little of it away!!

Kitchen: Yeah don't get excited about it. Although this is marketed as an ApartHotel the kitchen is useless. We had budgeted to prepare some evening meals in the room, we have young children and sometimes after a hard day playing in the pool or out at the local attractions, all we want to do is prepare a simple tea and put them to bed. No chance. The two ring hob is great, there are just no pots and pans for us to use on them. There is no frying pan, no chopping boards, no kitchen knives for slicing or chopping, and no peeler. There are side plates, tea cups and knives, forks and spoons. There is a metal jug thing which we could prepare cups of tea and soup with as long as you are ok using the tea cups for the soup. No bowls. No oven, no toaster. Beans on bread for dinner, children?? Useless. Massive fridge for us to put milk, juice and beer in, oh yes you can keep cheese in there too. Had we have known it was so ill equipped we would have chosen to go somewhere else. Somewhere a little more rough round the edges that did have all the kit to boil rice or pasta or to slice an onion. I moaned a bit to the people at reception, "I am sorry sir, the kitchen is for just making tea and coffee. We don't really want the smell of food cooking in the hotel." A manager I spoke to after this apologised for his colleagues response. He said that "this is not true" Although he didn't give me the reason for the kitchenette being so pointless. He did organise dinner on the house that evening as recompense, dining that once was enough thanks, the food was ok. I'm glad we didn't have 14 of them to try and get through.

Breakfast: Really nice buffet; toast, bread, sweet bread, cereals, cold meats, cheese, yogurts pastries, cakes and some really great fruit. The Portuguese version of a fry-up too! Teas, juices and coffee's. The staff and service were excellent, very friendly and very attentive. A few high chairs too short I think. But on the whole a big thumbs up for Breakfast.

Swimming pools/activities: This area was a bit a disappointment too. Don't bother getting any pool toys, lilos, dinghies, balls etc. They are not allowed. There is a guy who supervises the pool and tells you off if you let you child use them. The pool supervisor is not a lifeguard, he just ties up the parasols and tidy's the sun loungers up a bit. I think he used to behave like a traffic warden, he'd hide round the corner and wait until the lilos came out and then pounce. We were all really annoyed at this. The pool outside is MASSIVE and a few children mucking about on inflatables seemed a small ask. By the way the "Boutique" in the hotel foyer sells all these things, but you have to go somewhere else to use them.
Don't try and take the children into the indoor pool, it is for adults only. It is really nice especially if you want a break from the sun, just don't expect the whole family to be able to follow you in.
There are no other activities to speak of.

If you are single or a couple, then you will be suited to this place, unless you really like using inflatables in the pool. If you have a young family stay away, go and stay at the Club Alvorferias over the road, it isn't as swanky but it isn't pretentious either and the rooms are spacious, with a properly equipped kitchen, Kids club etc The children would love it.
Don't expect to be able to prepare meals and certainly don't do anything more than B + B

Once the big package companies get hold of this place, a lot of my grievances may be resolved. As it stands from my experiences in 2011 I'll stay away. I will always recommend the Alvor area for everyone, young, old, families and singles. It is perfect. It has everything. I won't however be bringing my family back to Alvor Baia Apartments. If we leave the children at home I may consider it.
I hope this helps people with similar circumstances. I've tried to be fair and give credit where it is due.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
36 Thank mark j
Warrington, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

My friend and I booked the hotel fairly last minute for a short break away. We were a little apprehensive as we could not find any reviews with it being so new. We weren't disapointed at all, the hotel is very modern, spacious and clean. The rooms are lovely with a small kitchen unit. We stocked the fridge up with beer, wine, water and snacks, which was good. There were some drinks in the fridge but no prices on them, so we were unsure to whether or not they were complimentary.

Check in was very, very slow and staff were struggling. I think this was purely down to the hotel having just opened and a staff training issue. I am not sure how they will cope with such a small reception desk when the hotel is open to full capacity. The same applied with the waiting on staff, they were slow but were trying very hard to get to everyone and get their heads round everything. Jose the bar man was great and made us some fantastic cocktails. Thanks!

The pool is lovely, it was in a bit of a wind tunnel but it was a welcome relief from the heat. We did have one horrible day, where we sought refuge in the lovely spa. The facilities are fantastic and for 10 euros I don't think you can argue with it.

The half board food wasn't great and we only ate in once. I can understand what people are saying about the canteen feel. It was a bit clinical and could do with a bit of atmosphere. Vegetarian choice was limited, however I appreciate that this is a cultural thing. Breakfast was good, the porridge was lovely.

Alvor is lovely too, we walked to the beach and into town which was a nice walk, the beach is beautiful and the beach bars are really nice to relax in. The restaurants in alvor are lovely too, lots of fresh fish and a good selection of places, all very reasonably priced. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
50 Thank LeylaM
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed in this hotel the last week of Sept, based on TA reviews. We were not disappointed. The hotel is very good overall. It is spotlessly clean and the rooms are very comfortable and of a very good standard. We stayed on half board basis, but never made it to breakfast. We only had dinner on two evenings, the food was only ok, it was very basic, it was typical buffet food, lukewarm or cold. There was no atmosphere in the dining room, so we weren't enticed to stay. We decided to eat in town for the rest of the week. My advice would be to eat what the chef is serving, at least the meat is hot when you get it.

The hotel itself is a little austere. We were told it was built by the same developers that built the private hospital directly across the road. They must have used the same interior designer for both ,as the whole hotel is brown and white, inside and out. It is totally devoid of colour, except for the brightly coloured chairs in the lobby, which really gives a very clinical feel to the place. The dining area is like a hospital canteen and has no atmosphere whatsoever. If they had some bright colours on some of the feature walls it would make a huge difference. This is just my personal observation and did not affect the enjoyment of our holiday in any way.
We booked this holiday through the Airlingus website, 'click and go'. I would highly recommend this. As part of the holiday we had a private taxi transfer from the airport and back again, a great bonus.
Alvor is a lovely village. Plenty of good restaurants and bars with live music. We were spoilt for choice. We would definitely recommend the kebab restaurant across from the Turistico Apts, stunning food, spotlessly clean and very cheap. We would return to this hotel if the price was right, but not if it becomes an all inclusive hotel next year, I'm not sure I would like to visit it if it was full to capacity. We will definitely return to Alvor.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms facing the pool open onto the lobby inside,especially on the first and second floo...
21 Thank Anna M
Donegal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Stayed at the Alvor Baia for a week on a half board basis and yes it was very enjoyable.The hotel is brand new opened I believe in July 2011 ,it is spotless.All rooms are apartments ith a spacious sitting room come dining room,leather sofa and flat screen tv with channels also in English,table 4chairs ,fridge,sink and hob which we had difficulty figuring out how it worked so ask at reception.Bedroom also spacious with a flat screen TV too and two single beds together to form one large bed ,very comfy matressess .Bathroom very nice with even a bidet.Toileteries supplied.The breakfast were quite good with plenty of choice with fruit to die for,unfortunately Kellogg's hasn't made it there yet.Dinners the same although sometimes warm not hot,service very efficient and when you engaged the staff they were very friendly and helpful but must be trained to not bother the guest,a shame makes it feel clinical.One thing that irritated the couple with us was drinks at dinner such as water and wine the waiter asked for your room number but did not say that you had to sign for it at the desk on the way out of the dining room and they were stopped and told in front of other guest that they had not paid for their drinks,they thought that it would automatically put on the room tab.Something the restaurant manager should have the staff inform people of the procedure.The hotel is about 15mins walk from the town and 20mins from the beach,there is a complimentary roadtrain to the beach which I believe next year will run all day.Lovely pool and large well equipped play area for kids.Beach is beautiful especially on the east side along the rocks.A tip if your thinking of hiring a car for a few days do it through the internet from the airport couple had it for a week same price as we paid for three days from the resort.All in all would stay there again and recommend it to all.

Room Tip: pool view is prettier but hasn't the sunsets
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
14 Thank Moonknight
Cardiff, south wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed at this Hotel on the 13th to 17th September after booking it via Asda Travel. Although it was advertised on teletext. We booked out flights seperately as it was cheaper.

This hotel does live up to all our expectations and more. It is spotless. It is brand new and hasnt (yet) been wrecked by ungrateful guests.
The pool is huge and hundreds of sunbeds available for use, yes it was windy but its a welcome breeze when its hot. How can someone seriously complain about the weather!??

our room was lovely, i think they are all the same with a small kitchen and table, sofa with plasma and a seperate bedroom with plasma, and a lovely bathroom. our room was on the 4th floor above the kids play area and got sun all day and a sea view. cant fault it! The complimentary toiletries are really nice and replenished every day.

The restaurant- i seriously dont know how someone has complained about this!!! Yes its white deco and has a weird green glow (blue for the blue room) but what else would you have it like. its a futuristic hotel so the dining area follows! Plastic chairs.. there is nothing wrong with the chairs, they dont leave marks on your legs and are comfortable! The food in the mornings consisted of a large fruif bar of chopped pineapple, kiwi, orange, necterine, plums. Lovely! cereal for the kids, and bread for toast, lots of pastries and salads. Nothing to complain about!!! Dinner was lovely too. it was buffet style, with gorgeous pesto chicken breasts, pork, beef, veal, fish, chips, wedges, a lovely salad bar! (if the hot food was cold or bad, surely people like salad, or maybe the people complaining are fatties who only want hot chips) live a little and try different food. if you want british food, go to Butlins not portugal!! we ate soo much and loved every meal. Drinks could be put ona tab, cans of coke were 2 euros and mateus wine was 12 euros for the bottle. They would also keep it for the next night for you.

we ate out twice in Alvor, it was about 15 mins walk down a slight incline of a road. not a hill!! its so not far to walk so dont listen to other reviews. There is a supermarket at the bottom of the road and sells nice fruit and bread and a deli! we ate out in pesitana (i think) and also the restaurant opposite it. we had a hanging beef kebab, fillet steak. to die for! cost 31.50 euros for the meat and would have paid more!

the beach is not far but is advisable to get the train at 10am and then return at 1.45 or 5.45. the walk back isnt that bad. the beach is a must as its so stunning. If you get off the train and walk to to the beach and then right along to the left you will find the secret caves. no one hardly goes there especially at this time of the year.

Also we had sardines in the restaurant with blue and yellow wooden chairs at the bottom of the alvor high street. we got about 6 sardines cooked on the bbq for 6.50 euros. easily enough for two!! yummy.

there is not much nightlife, only a couple of bars open late. but this was perfect for us as we didnt want to go out clubbing.

we also went on a sunset boat trip, which i would highly recommend!

all in all, dont listen to the bad reviews. if you have ever been to an all inc in turkey or egypt, this place is 20 times better. If you like all different kinds of food and are not fussy, then go here!

the room also had a hairdryer in the bathroom! x

Room Tip: choose a room on the top floor and ask for a sea view, you get evening sun!
17 Thank Cardiff_chick22
Cambs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

Not long back from a weeks stay. Had a very relaxing time. There were very few guests and as our week went by the numbers got less and less. When we first arrived, as mentioned before, the restaurant was very noisy and the furnishing did nothing to help absorb the noise. We got talking with the manager who was very keen to get peoples impression of the food and restaurant itself. It seems there are going to be many changes to this area by next season. I think, from how things were described all problems of size, noise, choice and variety and the way the food is kept warm etc, will be addressed through the winter and should be much better for next year.
The rooms can't be faulted. The same with the staff. The pool area is amazing with a huge number of loungers, but I do wonder what it will be like when the hotel is full.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor room for a better view of the pool/distant sea on one side or the mountains on...
7 Thank JM1_11Cambs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alvor
Pestana Alvor South Beach
Luna Alvor Village
#3 of 26 in Alvor
Pestana Alvor Park Hotel
Salgados Palm Village Apartments & Suites

Been to Alvor Baia Hotel Apartamento? Share your experiences!