“Nothing changes!!”

Marco's Bar & Bistro
Ranked #33 of 158 Restaurants in Alvor
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A bar / bistro located at the Dunas do Alvor Complex. Serving breakfast, snacks ,full evening meals plus a SPECIAL ORDERS menu (24 hour notice) Soft drinks, beers and wines.
Reviewed August 21, 2014

We visited Alvor yet again in May and a visit to Marco's to see Mark and Jackie is always on the agenda, as it has been many times since our first visit in 2004.

The owners and their staff have always made us welcome and this year was no exception. Food is always freshly prepared, the Beer and Lumumba's are lovely and cold, all served with a smile and a bit of banter which always makes the visit a pleasant experience. Jackie made a great fuss of our Son on each of our visits, and as regards service, if asked for politely nothing is ever too much trouble.

Keep up the good work and don't take any notice of the unusual one star reviews!

3  Thank Robert S

Reviewed August 13, 2014

visited this bar three times during our stay. We ate there twice and on both occasions our food was very good ideal for a lunchtime snack. The bar is very clean and pleasant and the staff are polite and friendly we would certainly visit again on our return to alvor

Reviewed August 8, 2014

what a great place to eat the staff are very friendly and if you want something different just let them know in advance and they will try to accommodate, you the food is a reasonable price.

1  Thank holidaybug32
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

On arrival the place looked like any fairly basic but because of high rating on trip advisor we said we'd try it for lunch. Coffee was quick and delicious...pity it took 50 min for the toast and beans to arrive for a starving child... Oh forgot to mention when I asked for a high chair was advised that it wasn't very safe but was welcome to use it!!!
After 30min waiting I was advised what I ordered wasn't available, and I picked anothersambo, which arrived 70min after the Coffee...
During the long wait I asked at least 3 times if the food was nearly ready and waitress answered two min...each time.
Every table near us seemed to be having the same experience ....everyone in groups got meals far apart of each other and we could see they were not happy!
On paying I was asked if all was ok...,so I told them....50min for beans on toast....seriously!!!
If I got called sweetie one more time and told things get made fresh to order and how busy it was ( 3 other tables) sweetie ...sweetie ...
Jesus I'm gonna explode.... Needless to say I won't be back ...
Best advice stay away...unless you have all day...expect bad service....and like to be patronised !!!
Unprofessional to say the least!

8  Thank StephenF007
jackie w, Owner at Marco's Bar & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

As it is our right to reply ....

We feel that it should be made clear that on the day in question ... Thursday 7th August ... your 2 reviews StephenF007 and Cherzee from Dublin (both with the same heading) ... you were politely informed , not rudely ... That breakfast produce was minimal as we had had a busy service, 67 in total... and as the time of your visit for breakfast was at a quarter to three in the afternoon , we tried to accomodate you to the best of our ability.
Secondly , We do not have high chairs for safety reasons ... as we are situated next to the pool and the tiles often become slippery... however we do provide clip on baby seats which attach to the tables .,.. but these are for small infants only... And as the smaller child of the 3 with you , was above average size and weight , we felt the chairs we provide would not be suitable.

All our reviews placed on Trip Advisor are from genuine holiday makers and long standing customers and are NOT questionable and suspicious as suggested by yourselves...
However , We would welcome your visit again.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Don't ususally eat in British restaurants when on holiday, but after reading reviews, thought we were missing out, so we had to try it.
We tried on a Sunday evening, but totally forgot it was Sunday and the place was fully booked for the Sunday roast, I would recommend you book if this is what you want. The roast wasn't the reason we tried this, so tried again later on that week and so glad we did.
It is not situated on the main 'strip' but is a very short distance away from all the hustle. Our first visit was for lunch and because it was our last day of the holiday I think my family really missed British food. My husband commented on how brilliant the omellette was saying it was the best he ever had. The kids and I had typical lunch food, toasties, chips with cheese and they were so yummy!
Food so good and brilliant value for money we asked owners to book a table for that night. To our surprise they asked if there was anything specifically we would like as they were going shopping that afternoon and it didn't have to be on the menu. You will never get that service anywhere - first class.

On arrival for dinner, owners greeted us with open arms and the good service and quality of food kept to the usual high standard. We all went for fish or scampi dishes, quite simple, but tasted fantastic.
To top it off non-alcoholic cocktails were as good as the alcholic ones so the full family joined in!

Owners clearly love working and living in Alvor and take time out to talke to customers, they made you feel very wlecome and valued. We will be back here next time we're in Alvor, only wish we hadn't waited until the end of our holiday before visiting this restaurant.