“A dissaponintment ”

La Fontanella
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2017 via mobile

Hoped for a really decent if not good rest. It is disappointing.
Food is average and service sucks . A nice young girls who does not really know what to do and her boss who cannot be sincere with you. I asked for a glass of Brunello and he kept offering me different other small bottles of other wines instead of telling me that he does not want to open a bottle of Brunello. ( first time in this region )

But the main reason is food: nothing great . Regular food . Much better service , attention and food at Daniela.

Reviewed June 24, 2017

We visited La Fontanella on the last night of a week long stay in Celle Sul Rigo and wished we'd been sooner as we probably would have made repeat visits.

The waiter working that night was very friendly and spoke excellent English.

The food was very good and there were multiple vegetarian options on offer.

I had pici (the local pasta) with tomato and garlic sauce, simple enough, but with a well done pasta with tomato sauce, that's really all you need and it was definitely a well done one. The restaurant does offer several dishes that are quite a bit more uncommon and not as likely to be found elsewhere, but that was simply what I fancied at the time.

The only real downside, I think, was that it was fairly expensive.

Reviewed April 16, 2017

We were in this small town for the New Year's and our host recommended this place. It was just within walking distance so ti was convenient for us. Good thing we had reservations as it was packed.

I had the grilled pecorino served with a poached pear and pear jam. It was delicious -- just the right balance of sharpness from the cheese and sweetness from the jam. For the entree, I had the ravioli with brown butter sauce and chestnuts. It was also so delicious.

Their wine selection was very interesting. The sommelier has all the wine bottles out in the different shelves in the restaurant. We are amazed how he remembers where the bottles are positioned. He gave us a very good recommendation -- a good bottle of Montepulciano for dinner and for dessert, glasses of Vin Santo and Moscadello from Montalcino.

Highly recommended!!!

Reviewed December 26, 2016

A small family group looking for a "special" place to top off a Christmas vacation outing. The Fontanella was suggested by several people in San Casciano and we decided to try it . Parking across the street was convenient and luckily we were able to find a table even with no reservation. The exterior doesn't prepare you for the warm,relaxed interior. The tables are well set, not exactly luxurious but certainly welcoming,like dinner in a Tuscan country villa . We were tired and very thirsty and had a long trip home so skipped the wine list which looked inviting and competent. We each had only one course plus dessert,but everything was mouthwatering and memorable. Would be tempted to stay at the hotel in the future if only to have an excuse to eat here again!

Reviewed July 14, 2016 via mobile

Had dinner there last night as a group of 7.
All starters were enjoyed. A couple had soup and the rest mostly pasta. My tortellini was great.
I had steak tartare which was good. Everyone else enjoyed their main meal.
Good service and extensive wine list.
Overall a pleasant restaurant and worth visiting.