“Fantastic Wine Selection!”

La Fontanella
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I had the pleasure of meeting Nella, the owner of La Fontanella, during my last trip to San Casciano dei Bagni. Nella was very gracious and welcoming. The menu was authentic Tuscan fare and somewhat reasonably priced. The restaurant featured a wonderful collection of fine wines--Brunellos, Vino Nobiles and local Chiantis--a great opportunity for me to taste the local Sangiovese wine, which is slightly different than the better known Sangiovese of Chianti. That's a whole other subject! The service was good, however, I was surprised and a little disappointed, to be handed the "English" menu when my Italian dining partner was given the local menu! This is definitely the best restaurant for the value in San Casciano dei Bagni. Parking is also convenient-- across the road..

There are newer reviews for La Fontanella

Reviewed March 31, 2013

It is a very nice and typical restaurant, with a quiet environment, a kind staff and a very fast - yet not rushed - service. I was there with my family (mother, 19 year old sister and 3 year old sister) and we all loved our food. But, if I have to be completely honest, some courses were better than others: I strongly suggest the boar meat, the tagliatelle with spelt and artichokes, the pear cake, the crostone with lard, honey and pecorino, the steak with chianti and the plate with different kind of salami. The fruit pancakes with honey, the millefoglie, the tiramisù and the pici with garlic and tomato sauce need some improvement.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We ate here on a rainy evening and the food was warm, fresh and beautifully prepared. There were few diners, but the staff and atmosphere was very friendly.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The food was very good, but there were very few other diners. Maybe it was just a slow night. I liked the place.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We came here for a night away from the Fonteverde hotel restaurant, and came back 3 nights out of 4 ! The pasta was delicious, all home made, and the steak (tagliata) was out of this world ! Good selection of local wines from montepulciano and montalcino, very friendly service, cosy atmosphere (other diners were residents of the albergo) and overall a nice meal for around €25 to €30 per head.

1  Thank LesTonus