“One of the best”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cinisi
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“One of the best”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I was really worried about this trip after reading other reviews. We arrived at 10 pm, and thought we wouldn't have anything to eat (as was stated in previous review).
We had the warmest welcome from desk staff, who explained the restaurant was closed, but chef agreed to cook for us anyway.
It was lush! THe room was lovely, cleaned daily to a very high standard.
The pool was amazing, as was the whole hotel and surroundings. The food was beautiful, I have a huge appetite and was concerned from reviews we might be hungry. We weren't, the fish was fresh, fished daily, by owners son, and salad and fruit was beautiful and healthy.
The staff were great, especially desk staff, Luigi "Cushty"! Antonio, Guisseppe, Enza and Luna. Really lovely people,gave a personal touch and nothing was too much trouble for them.
The owner was not surly!!! He was proud to talk about his floor tiles to my husband, and smiled every day after we had spoken. He seemed very pleased to be approached. Perhaps he feels guests need to be left alone on their holidays.
It was the most relaxing holiday ever, there isn't too much to see around the area, but Terrasini is lovely and it was joyful to watch the natives carefree lifestyle and warmth amongst each other.
Drinks rules didn't worry me, food and surroundings more than made up what we paid for.
We really want to return next year. Would recommend hiring a car if you want to travel, routes are a bit problematic and buses to Palermo not too reliable!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julia C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Belgium
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I just got back today from a lovely and very relaxing holiday at the Magaggiari Hotel.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the people working the restaurant; Luigi, Guisseppe, Antonio and Enza, the girl behind the bar; Luna and the lady working the reception desk. They were always very busy but still made time for smalltalk.

One night, there was no table left, and during our 5-minute wait they brought us wine and crips on the house. The personnel helped make our stay unforgettable, but the hotel itself is very good as well.

Like many, we had the Groupon deal, but we weren't disappointed at all. I think a lot of the negative comments stem from the misrepresentation of the all-inclusive formula on Groupon/Holidaysbooked. In my opinion, we paid a bargain price and got way more than what we paid for.

First of all, the hotel & surroundings (pool, tennis field and garden) are lovely, well-kept and always clean. The room is very spacious, the beds are comfortable and we had airco, which was a blessing in 30°c weather. Also, the view from the pool was magnificent.

The food was delicious. Breakfast consisted of an assortiment of freshly baked danish, bread, fruit salad (fresh fruit!!), eggs & bacon, ... For lunch we had rice, pasta and a salad bar. We always really enjoyed the pasta. At dinner we were given a choice between 3 starters and 3/4 main courses.

Italians typically have pasta first and as a main course meat/fish. This was also the case in the hotel. This didn't bother us, but if you wished you could get potatoes/fries and vegetables from the salad bar.

You also get a 20% discount of the menu, which was also very good (and cheap!).

It's true that the all-in formula was more like a full-board, but with free drinks from 12-14 and 17-22 o'clock, which is a very good deal. Especially if you know that what we paid for our entire stay there was less than the price of a room for 1 night at the hotel (which may be a bit overpriced).
It's also true that you can't take your drinks from the bar to the restaurant, but it's only 2,5euros for a bottle of water and 15euros for a delicious white wine!

The only negative experience we had this holiday was with the public transportation. We took the bus to and from Palermo and waited at the bus stop for a total of 2,5 hours, but if you rent a car you can visit everything more easily. (Palermo is only a 30 minute drive away, tops!)

In short, we had a very nice holiday, the hotel is gorgeous, the food is delicious, and the staff is more than excellent. If groupon offers this deal again we will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline C
Brasschaat
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 10 days and the biggest issue was the fact that we were not able to stay for 3 weeks !!!
The Hotel is situated at 10 minutes from the main airport (no Ryanair) If you have travelled already in Italy, Sicily is not the cleanest place in Italy.
But if you enter the hotel grounds, you feel that this is the place to be. Really nice well kept garden and great swimming pool. We had the all inclusive and the food was great. It is not like the all inns from other exotic destinations but the terms and conditions were clear.
If we read the critics, what do they expect, grilled lobster and a great Meursault for dinner ?
I challenge other travellers to find me a better price for quality vacation. As the crisis hits almost all of us, this hotel is a bargain.
Special thanks to the warm and charming staff, Juiseppe, Luigi, and Enza who did a great job, together with the cleaning personel.
Pro's are a small family hotel with great value for money. Contra's are the beds to hard for some of us, no animation (can also be a pro) and you need a car to go out.
We will go back next year so fino alla prossima volta.
tip : why not organice a petanque and tennis tournament each week ?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Makkevds
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel in July and purchased the stay through a Groupon deal. I think the hotel was lovely and the food was good. The only thing I would point out is that the deal states all inclusive which I think gives the wrong impression as the bar is only open for a few hours a day and you cant take your free drinks though to the restaurant to have with your meals. I would say that the deal is FULL BOARD ie Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided and there is a limited free bar at certain hours. Don't be put off as this is a good deal but bring some cash for extras.
The staff were lovely, especially the waitress who lived in the States!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Denise R
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

PLEASE READ.... as I do not want anyone else going to this hotel expecting all inclusive and being disappointed like we were!! I never ever complain but I just need to write on here so new holiday makers going or thinking about going no the facts!

Positivies: The Hotel, swimming pool and rooms were top stuff really nice place. Bar and waiting and maid staff very nice and friendly.

Negitivies: The food, the all inclusive that wasn't, the owners!

So my partner and I went away in July 2013 for a cheap weeks chilled holiday, we arrived at the hotel and it was everything we wanted clean, tidy, quiet and relaxed. It all started to go wrong when we booked in and found out the food and drinks were not all inclusive! Our travel company hotelsbooked.com sold the holiday as all inclusive and so did Groupon.

We were given a letter at reception saying the free drinks were from 12.00pm till 2pm and 5pm till 10pm. so we thought ok we can deal with that we will just have to buy water from the supermarket to keep us going in-between the times as Sicily was so so hot. (not ideal but ok)

The drinks were only lemoncello,vodka,white wine, red wine, coffee, and fruit juice. No local beer no local other spirits that was it very limited. The thing that annoyed us the most was lunch and dinner you couldn't take the free drinks into the restaurant even though all guests at hotel were "all inclusive" so you either had to pay for your drinks at meal times or have drinks before and after eating, was so so stupid and more cost to the holiday.

The food: we have been on holiday's to Italy in different parts of the county and always had the most amazing experiences with Italian food, so was not expecting the food to be so average in Sicily! How can Italian's not be able to cook pasta correctly mind boggles me!

As an all inclusive guest we were given only 3 choices off a menu for lunch and for dinner 2 choices for starter and only 3 choices for main menu, and I think we were given a chance to have a desert one night out of seven.

We have been to many all-inclusive all over the world and usually you have a buffet of all different food to help your selves or at least have more choice for people I don't expect English food as we are not in England but at least a bit more choice. We ended up having a few nights out of the hotel to different restaurants in the area which were very cheap and very yummy!

The owners of the hotel pranced about the hotel miserable as hell looking and were quiet rude to many of the guests especially if they complained! When we stayed at the hotel there were Spanish, French, German, Italian and many more different guests and each nationality complained on why the hotel was so not an all inclusive!

So if you do go to this hotel please don't let it put you off coming back to Italy as there are so much nicer places to see and eat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Haley L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I returned recently from a 7 night stay at Magaggiari Hotel Resort. I visited with my mum on the Groupon/Hotelsbooked.com deal. It was one, if not the, most amazing holiday I have ever had.

The hotel itself is beautiful and very clean. There is not much in the surrounding area to visit if you don’t have a car, but we simply wanted a week in the sun. Terrasini is lovely though, especially the plaza near the clock tower – worth a visit.

The staff are the most obliging staff I have ever met. They’re lovely and truly want to make your holiday as perfect as possible. Nothing you ask is too much and they’re so friendly. I can’t rave about the staff enough, they work incredibly hard. I don’t understand how anybody could be complaining about this resort! Either they are deluded or simply petty.

About the food/open bar - I don’t understand the criticisms. Everything is explained on arrival and if you had any questions they would instantly explain. It’s not rocket science, they charge for drinks at certain times to try to make more money – as any business would! I, and many other guests, bought cheap bottles of water from the Cinisi supermarket and kept them in the large mini fridges in the rooms. The open bar then covers loads of time for you to enjoy as many drinks as you’d like. The comment made about the availability of ONLY standard coffee is untrue. I had lattes; other guests had espressos and cappuccinos. They were more than happy to make anything you’d like.

Then to the food - It was impeccable! The chefs are amazing. Everything was delicious. I REALLY don’t understand when people have complained about portions. There was TONS of food; every day we, and all the other guests, said how we’d over eaten so much.
Breakfast and lunch were buffet style. Someone complained about the lunch dishes occasionally being left overs for the night before. I don’t know why this is a criticism! We’d all do it at home, it’s sensible to not waste food. Quite frankly, if you’re for some reason against eating leftovers, don’t eat them. There is plenty of other food. But for the majority of us, it allowed us to taste the dishes from the night before which we might not have chosen. Win, win all round.

Dinner was slightly different; however salad was still buffet style – with great choices. I’m quite a fussy eater and every single thing I tried was delicious. I couldn't fault anything. I recommend trying at least one of the soups. Although they don’t have to provide a dessert – each night we had something for dessert. Several nights was melon, but we had gelato one night, cannoli another, and so on. We chose to buy water with our dinners and these turned out to be the only drinks we bought at the resort and they are reasonably priced (then go the open bar after dinner!). We also had the BBQ night which was amazing. They seat you with other guests who speak the same language as you (you wouldn’t have to do this if you did not want to) but I recommend it! The food was buffet style and there was so much food. I don’t have a clue why anyone would say there wasn't enough for all the guests. There was far too much if anything.
There really isn’t anything I could even begin to say to criticise this hotel. Silly little things seem to be said on this website. For example – the clothes hangers – well if you have taken lots of things you want to hang up in a wardrobe – why not take some of your own hangers?

Also about the family that owns the hotel – they do sit and have meals in the eating areas for every meal. But at no time did we feel our service was hindered by staff dealing with the family. It is true that the man that runs the hotel doesn’t interact with guests much. However he spends all day around the hotel. He watches and knows exactly what is going on in his resort. He obviously takes great pride in his resort. I realised on the last day of my trip, that the owner doesn’t speak much English at all. My mum did speak to him on the last day, to tell him what a wonderful holiday we had and what great, hardworking staff he had. I think that they don’t want to interfere or interrupt guests, as some may not want them too. But they are happy for you to speak to them if you wish too.
This hotel is very much worthy of their 4 star rating, if fact I’d give them 5 stars! It’s amazing, and I plan to go back, with or without a Groupon deal. Don’t be put off by other reviews, it really is a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room, very quiet and had a secluded balcony. We were facing the nearby airport...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank jha_q12
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed here for one night recently and had a great time. Despite reading various review below I booked this hotel and have no regret.

Hotel staff couldnt be more hospitable, food was excellent and we just went with the waiters recommendation. Hotel grounds were very well looked after and has a great resort feel to it. As this is a family run hotel this has great homly feel to it. Its not a regular hotel ..so dont expect the regular hotel treats. Hotel staff dont necessary speak very good english however there were enough people around we could converse with specially in the restaurant there was a american lady and couple of male waiters spoke excellent english. For me even if they didnt speak it wasnt the problem...as I am in Italy and dont expect everyone I would encounter will be able to speak english.

For me to be able to mix with the people in the hotel and learn their culture and been provided with a great hospitality was important and I got that all.

Expect taxi rides to go around unless you have a car as this place is not served by public transport. Taxi ride can be expensive if you dont confirm upfront and ask the hotel staff before hand the cost. We emailed and confirmed all the details before hand to avoid these...cant really blame hotel for expensive taxi rides even if we paid more than what would one expect.

It was my first time in the Sicily and in the area and I wouldnt hesistate to return to this place.

Demetra, Salvo and few others in restaurant speak very good english if you need information. Hotel owner also live in the complex and ensure place is well kept. However he doesnt speak any english so dont get offended if he is doesnt talk to you.

Thanks everyone for a great time and I will be back :)

Room Tip: This place has apartments, villas and regular bedrooms. I was in the main building next to reception...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cinisi
Florio Park Hotel
Hotel Olimpo
Hotel Olimpo
#1 of 11 in Letojanni
Hotel Villaggio Perla del Golfo

Been to Magaggiari Hotel Resort? Share your experiences!