“Wonderful experience!”

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

It's a wonderful experience to do follow the path from the bottom of the mountain and reach this little villege in a cave!

The view and the nature you'll see is amazing.

There are two different path you can follow but both of them are fine....the destination will be the same: unfortunately it is not always so easy to find the starting point.

Don't forget to take a lot of water with you: it takes at least one hour to climb and on top there is no possibility to buy anything.

Don't miss it!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Luca F

• Polish first
Rome, Italy
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Road almost impassable in March 2014”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

After the winter rains, the road into Tiscali was almost impassable due to deep potholes and washed out gravel in sections. You need a vehicle with plenty of undercarriage clearance until rhe road is repaired.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Impossible to find”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is the only place on the whole island where there were no signs for walkers. I assume they do this to maintain the thriving industry of local guides. It is impossible to find the way as the whole region is a network of jumbled, boulder strewn paths. Also, the staff at the visitors centre were unhelpful and set us off in completely the wrong direction.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Paul D
Cagliari, Sardegna, Italy
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Magical place!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We loved the hike and Tiscali itself its something incredible.
Thank god we had a guide that came to pick us up in Dorgali and stayed with us the whole time.
It's a great way up to the top through the rocks and we enjoyed the detailed explanations about plants, flowers and the whole area.
Unmissable!!!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Fr B
Chicago, Illinois
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“No guide neccessary!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

You do NOT need a guide for Tiscali! Seriously.

I wanted to do the Tiscali hike for 3 reasons:

1—hike to the top of a mountain to see ruins of a 2,000-year-old city? What’s not to love about this??? Completely awesome.
2—after reading so many crabby complaints about needing a guide on this review site, I HAD to see if this hike could be done without one.
3—I have hiked Samaria Gorge in Crete and though it is beautiful, it is SO crowded (being the most popular hike on Crete). I feared Su Gorropu would be similar and thought the more difficult climb to Tiscali would be less crowded.

On all 3 points we scored a win.

1--The hike and ruins were both wonderful. There is an entrance fee which you pay to the archaeologist camped out at the ruins (who will happily go on and on about Tiscali in several languages. The man REALLY loves the site). Though some reviewers complained of this, I do not have a problem with fees to sites—someone has to maintain them and that isn’t cheap.
2—I don’t know why anyone would think you “must have” a guide for this hike. Not only did we not have trouble, but was saw a French couple who EACH HAD A CHILD UNDER 2 YEARS OLD STRAPPED TO THEIR BACK. It wasn’t easy but we NEVER got lost and if we were unsure of which way to go we used common sense (go UP and head THROUGH the mountain pass) or just stopped and looked around. The hike is marked but it’s not a bloody theme park with signs all over the damn place. There are a few clear path markers and where there are NOT, the other ‘options’ are not options. Someone clever has gone to great lengths to put large impediments (branches, tree trunks, etc) across parts of the hike that may look slightly like a trail but are not. Follow common sense and stop to assess if you are confused.
3--I can’t speak to how crowded Su Gorropu was since we didn’t take it, BUT we were passed by ONE COUPLE on our way up (um, embarrassingly, we were passed by the couple with babies strapped to their backs), and passed about 3 sets of people coming down. It was blissfully quiet for 99% of the hike. Conversely, when we left Hotel Silana, we saw several groups of people heading down to Su Gorropu from there and also there were many, many cars parked at the hike entrance we took. As we passed very few of these people on our hike to Tiscali, I can only assume that they all went to Su Gorropu.

Last words of advice. The hike took 4 hours for us there and back with about a half hour to roam the site. We took 3 liters of water for the 2 of us. I should have taken a 4th. Also, I brushed a tick off my husband before it got a chance to dig in its claws in the more forested canopy part of the hike, so be aware of ticks.

We started our hike by taking the turnoff into the valley from km marker 200-201. If you follow that road down and start your hike from there, a lovely little stream awaits you when you finish. It is the perfect temperature for soaking your sore feet. I wish I had brought my bathing suit! On this same road is a very small family winery where we stopped, had a few wine tastes and bought some wine before heading back to our hotel. I highly recommend this.

Visited June 2013