“The place needs some important changes”

Hotel Gran Paradiso
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My two night stay had me dealing with things you normally take for granted in any hotel. The most important was climate control, but I'll get to that detail in a bit.
The rooms were OK and clean, and had a nice touch with foaming soap dispensers making it easy to wash your hands, instead of prying a small sliver of soap stuck to the lavatory. The shower was tiny and many of our group had complaints, but it was fine for me (and I'm 6'1"). There was the bidet (which as an American, I ignored), but the toilet paper dispenser instead of a normal roll was something I'd never seen before. It was filled with sheets, and dispensed two sheets per pull. If this trend catches on, I'll be adding "roll of toilet paper" to my luggage checklist! My wife complained about the bathroom lighting and did her hair and makeup in the other room. The windows opened, if desired, and an external shutter that could be lifted or lowered by a pull cord inside the room. I had to "set up" the flat screen TV with a scan for channels because it initially only had static. Turns out it received about 100 channels, but not one in English (hotels usually carry BBC).
Now for the story on the climate control, which may be of great help to those that choose to stay in this hotel. Like most modern European hotels that use key cards, they only issue one card per room (a real pain in you want to split up and go different directions). The card has a smart chip, so you put it in the slot just inside the door to make lights and power work (again, a real pain if you want to leave while you're charging camera batteries). But evidently in the face of rising heating costs (not to mention Italian law specifies when a hotel can turn on A/C), this hotel goes a step further. The room, which had an outside wall and a view, was very cold. I could not get the thermostat to operate the heater at all. I went down to the desk (where I found the little bit of Italian I knew very helpful because that staff didn't know any English), and they were able to fix it by going to their computer and mousing to the climate controls and enabling my thermostat. A great triumph for technology to control costs and enable compliance............EXCEPT.......the same thing happened the next night. Came in after a day of touring....room was freezing cold.....had to go down to the desk and get the heat turned on.......AGAIN!
Other problems with the hotel is the elevators are located in a traffic area where crowds of people using the stairs are squeezing by those waiting for the super-slow elevators with their luggage. The desk staff is too small, and really got backed up. The restaurant is large, but only had mediocre food on a fixed menu, changed daily (our dessert was a bowl of fruit, which is a cop-out in a country that can produce fantastic deserts).
The hotel has a shuttle that goes to/from town hourly. Hotel is conveniently located across the street from Padre Pio's churches and museum (although it is a 700 meter walk up a very steep incline, so if you use a cane or you're not up to the climb you may want to spring for a short 5 to 7 Euro cab ride to avoid the uphill trek).
In conclusion, I would not stay again, but it was the best location near our tour destination and allowed flexibility and independence in visiting those churches and shrines. I can only hope a better hotel will be built in the lot next door for future travelers.

Room Tip: There's not any great views. Get an interior room to avoid the hot or cold rooms having exterior...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BeachSeekerNewMexico
Write a ReviewReviews (1,581)

Reviewed October 17, 2011

This hotel provided our group of 40 excellent service for a one night stay. Rooms were clean and large. The breakfast was very good. The bar is relatively small but accomodating. Check-in staff were fine. Excellent location to the nearby religious sites.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank servok
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We took an Italian tour and one of our stops for two nights was this hotel in San Giovanni Rotondo from July 25 through July 27, 2010. It was the worst and I would not even consider staying there again. When we entered our room there was a strong chlorine smell that permeated throughout the room along with a strong urine smell. Our friends who had the room next door had the chlorine smell as well as feces smell. We attempted to inquire at the front desk about the smells, but were just blown off by the clerk. Our tour guide inquired in Italian and was told there were "purifying the water." The water smell was so horrible that none of us on the tour could shower or brush our teeth. In the United States it would have been a HASMAT situation. My lungs felt like they had the fumes from the chlorine in them for days after we left. We had to buy bottled water to brush our teeth with. I would not recommend this hotel ever and will never stay there again. The room itself was dirty with hair on the floor (and the hair did not belong to us). It doesn't bother me if rooms are small but a traveler should at least be able to have a clean room and be able to shower. In addition, the staff was rude and the food was not good.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lkessler
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Excellent location: front of Padre Pio's church. Good food, good service. Room is roomy and clean. Bathroom is clean. Wifi free in lobby area. Enjoyed my stay.

3  Thank si_jangkung
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Location within San Giovanni perfect - main attraction a short walk across the road. Rooms very basic and cold. Tiled throughout - noise a huge issue from hall ways and adjoining rooms. Dated decor. Rooms were on 1st floor noise from reception carried upwards - especailly if large tour parties booked in. Receptionists indifferent and unhelpful. Waiting staff in restaurant very helpful as didn't have italian and tried their best with their limited English. Food good.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Stayed here for a 4 day visit, arrived after a long journey from Rome. The girl on the desk didnt speak much English. Hotel has a beautiful exterior, nice pool area although to get to it you had to climb down a narrow spiral staircase. Hotel reception / lobby was very clean with plenty of comfortable seating. Rooms were basic but adequate, shower head could do with been changed & shower doors need a good clean as mould is growing on them. We had 2 rooms beside each other with a large balcony although there was scaffolding up in front of it with work men all day. The purpose of our holiday was to visit the Padre Pio Shrine which was about a 10 min hilly walk from this hotel. However a nights stay in this area would be enough as there's not much else to do & very little English spoke, Oh & there appears to be only 1 taxi for a very large area! Breakfast in the hotel is not good with very little choice, I would advise anyone just to get a room only. Air conditioning is so so, it shuts down every night at 11, also reception area shuts at this time as I went down during night because our electricity kept tripping and there was no one around not even a porter! If I did return to this area I would stay here again due to its proximity to the Shrine & it looks the best hotel around.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Great location, good food and service; basic but nice and clean rooms; good place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2009