“A great tour: 2 wineries and walk in Lecce”
Review of Green Italy Tours

and up
Lecce and Gallipoli Full-Day Heritage and Wine Tour
Ranked #1 of 5 Food & Drink in Ostuni
More attraction details
Owner description: Green Italy Wine Tours offers private and group tours, and the opportunity to stay in top quality hotels, villas, ‘masserie’, and trulli in Puglia, Italy’s foremost wine region. On our holidays you'll enjoy guided tours of the best vineyards and cellars, experience private tastings with leading wine makers, and discover the great wines of Italy.Our tours are led exclusively by engaging experts steeped in the viniculture of the region. To complete the experience, we do not forget that good wine is enhanced by fine cuisine. Our menus are thoughtfully designed around the regional traditions of homemade pasta, fine cheese, balsamic vinegar and Extra Virgin olive oil.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Giovanni Fasano met us at Masseria Boezio (also excellent) for a full day of private touring in Puglia. My wife, adult daughter and I were traveling together and enjoyed this day the best of several days in southern Italy. We began at a large (for the region) winery near Lecce (Conti Zecca). The guide was excellent, very knowledgeable and engaging. We happened to be there during harvest and were able to see nearly the entire operation. We were the only visitors at the time and had the tasting room to ourselves. From there we returned to Lecce for lunch at Cucina Cassereccia. This small restaurant gets high ratings the guidebooks. The ratings are well deserved. It was a leisurely, relaxing, delicious lunch, the most amazing eggplant parmigiana. We then had a pleasant walk in the old part of Lecce followed by a tour of Castel Del Salve winery. Another great guide greeted us. We were the only ones at the winery and had both an interesting and tasty tour. With all of this, I personally felt that the fee was actually less than the high quality of the day (including the lunch at a truly great Cucina).
Through the entire tour we found Giovanni an engaging and friendly guide and believe that we have made a new friend with whom we would enjoy sharing a meal and conversation again.

Trip advisor requires that I click a "sort of Visit" box, none of which apply to our visit. I checked solo. Now trip advisor is requiring that I open an account in order to file this review. Giovanni gets 5 stars, trip advisor gets none.

6  Thank JOHN09221944

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is a must, especially for a group of friends. We spent the day driving around the countryside in Puglia starting at Ostuni and sampling some of the delicious wines of the region, some favorites Negroamaro and Primitivo may sound familiar but they're not as popular in the US, so we really felt like we were getting a taste of something different. Puglia is not as well traveled as Tuscany so the places are fewer and further between but in my opinion it is better because of it. The food was fresher and better than Tuscany too, but I am biased to the Southern Italian cuisine. We had an amazing lunch at the Duca Carlo winery, and toured the beautiful city of Lecce. One of the wineries was also had filling station for the local restaurants, literally people would just fill up jugs of wine like you would at a gas station and even the jug wine was pretty good! Giovanni and Zohar were great hosts too and they make sure to have you back in Ostuni to catch the beautiful sunset over the "white city".

3  Thank jno2011
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our full day wine tour and visit to Lecce was outstanding! Our guides, Giovanni and Maria, were very professional, friendly, and went above and beyond to make our day enjoyable. While this could have been a larger group, no one else had signed up for our day so we had a private tour.. lucky for us! They picked us up from Bari and drove us down to Lecce, stopping for a cafe and snack. Afterwards, they had arranged two tastings at two different style wineries - one small and traditional, one large and contemporary - to give us a variety. Between tastings, we visited the old town of Lecce and had lunch at a delicious family-run restaurant. Since we had some time remaining in our day, we were able to visit another beautiful town on the way back to Bari. My wife and I had an amazing day, thanks to Giovanni and Maria's hard work. We highly recommend them and the company and will use them again soon!!

4  Thank Jonathan R
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Our tour with Green Italy Wine Tours was a definite highlight of our visit to Italy this summer. We had an all day tour that departed from the pier in Bari where our cruise ship was docked. We were a small group that was organized by a friend. Giovanni and Maria were superb tour guides. Our group of 11 cruise critic members were met pier side and hopped into our van. We visited two wineries in the Puglia region of Italy. We learned that "love is wine" and "wine is love" and that some Italian grandmas were given a glass of wine each night before bed and they had 12 children!!! LOL!

The first vineyard that we visited, Cantine Polvanera, was a smaller one and the owner and master wine maker, Filippo Cassona, was so handsome and sooo Italian if you know what I mean. We toured the vineyards as well as the cellar and had a tasting of spumante, red, and white wines.. note that the sampling was an ample serving in a Reidel glass and was served along with antipasto... bruschetta was prepared table side with olive oil from their farm and balsamic vinegar ... also served was foccacia with tomatoes, garlic, anmd olive oil... crackers and such. oh my!

We purchased a bottle to take back to the ship for enjoyment on our balcony.

The next winery was a larger and older one. We learned how they bury cow horns in the soil beneath the vines ... I'll tell ya about that later. Another tasting... and then on to Matera for lunch and a walking tour of the charming city with cave dwellings or Sassi

Lunch was at a small local family owned trattoria... antipasto plate with 4 cheeses, 4 meats (salami, proscuitto, etc.) and grilled vegetables along with bread, local red wine by the pitcher,pasta, and meats... lovely ricotta/coconut/almond/chocolate cake for dessert... I was in heaven. Next up was a quick walking tour of Matera before heading back to the ship. I will remember this day forever.

4  Thank cattailcruiser
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I attended a full day wine tour in Lecce, we visited two wineries, Castel di Salve near Tricase and Conti Zecca in Leverano and we had lunch at "Le Zie" one of the best restaurants in Lecce (we found great comments on Trip Advisor). The whole trip was very good value for money (100 Euros including lunch, wine tastings and transportation). Highly reccommendable !!

5  Thank AlphonseLin