“Good but not great”

Ranked #75 of 221 Restaurants in Ostuni
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Porta Nova is among the restaurants of Ostuni which is distinguished by its vocation to the kitchen of quality fish. Romantic restaurant, fish cuisine
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The restaurant is situated on the Ostuni walls with beautiful views and floor-to-ceiling windows. Tables are a bit close to each other and the decor looks a bit "baroque" rather than modern. Menu offered both a la carte and pre-fix options. Wine list lacked in depth and was somewhat limited and focused on main stream wines. Take-off was a bit disappointing with standard breads and taralli and no amuse bouche. The lightly seared scallop on ink-squid risotto was very flavorfl and nicely prepared. The raw fish tasting was spectacular with gallipoli purple shrimp and oyster being the main starts. The paccheri pasta with monk fish was tasty and rich and so were the prawns entree while both the potato gratin and the lamb shank lacked in flavor and execution. In particular, the lamb was tough and flavor was not developed. Dessert was also a let down: the chocolate souffle was over-cooked and dry presented with standard vanilla ice-cream. The foundation for a great restaurant is there but it will require more efforts both in the kitchen and in guest experience to elevate this place to the next level.

1  Thank TasteLovers

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have previously reviewed this restaurant and found the service, the food and the value for money to all be awful. I can same the same again years later!!! It is in a nice location, especially if the viewing terrace is open. But!!! The hostess was rude yet again, treating a vegetarian as if I were abnormal, there was nothing she could offer but some grilled vegetables & goats cheese (which you can have in any local restaurant at a fraction of the price). I only went because I was invited to a birthday lunch. Next time I will have to decline!!! Terrible service and basic food at an exorbitant cost (I think my vegetables & cheese + a glass of wine came to 50 euros... my friend offered this lunch). I will not be back ever again.

3  Thank MaitriKaruna
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We enjoyed a simple and hearty dinner here during our stay. We were the only guests in the restaurant, so we had a lot of attention! My better half had the Gamberi y Gamberi - a shrimp ravioli served with three additional head-on prawns. It was delicious. I had been yearning for the wheat orchiette so emblematic of the region, and wasn't disappointed! It was served with a local cheese, light tomato based sauce, and basil. We shared the seafood fritto misto - consisting of different small, whole fish, calamari, and prawns. This might have been better with some additional sauce to help cut the "fried" aspect of the dish, but this may just be reflective of American interpretations of Italian food. We considered the meal to be authentic and fresh, and the service excellent. Even though it was dark when we went, this would be a nice place to have a late lunch for a view of the ocean and Ostuni.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

This restaurant lived up to my expectations.
Scallops with black risotto were incredible as were Orecchiette pasta with fresh tomato sauce and goat cheese.
I recommend it to couples and friends who wish to spend quality time and have superior food.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

A cut above most restaurants we've been to in Italy and a mega leap ahead of those we ate in in Ostuni. As a starter, we actually had the scallop and black rice dish shown in the header photo: it was excellent. The scallop was perfect, the rice of a superb consistency and delicacy of flavour. The fish mains were also very good although we were disappointed to find later that they had whole fish, which had not been offered by the waiter. This caused a bit of bother for him, unfortunately, when we raised it with management.
Desserts were likewise superbly delicate and very enjoyable. Their cover charge is high at €5 per head but brings a varied plate of very good breads. The wine list was long and comparatively inexpensive given the standard of the place.
Apart from the food, there's much to like about Porta Nova. It has a great panoramic view to the south of Ostuni, down to the coast. The restaurant is very comfortable and well furnished and the staff were attentive and personable.