“Be prepared to wait”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Great location, food ok, unfortunately you have to wait forever to taste it. Tap water 2€.
Location: by the sea
Structure: too small to receive all the clients, tables too close to eachother
Ratio food/quality: good, but a little expensive, tap water 2€(!?!?), wine of the house poor, "pizza" fake
Service: the bad news, 1h to get our dishes,not only us, all the clients! no matter all the excuses the owner gave to everyone, like: " it's express kitchen, all is cooked at the moment". The fact is: kitchen's not ready to serve all the orders.

Final comment: if you are prepared to wait to have classic italian food, it's ok. But waiting will upset up

3  Thank teyis

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Great place, great food.
In Paros almost of all restaurants have the same dishes, it's really difficult to find something different...
In hostatria we find a different menu, a fusion of the Italian tradition and the Greek resources.
The atmosphere was incredible, we ate next to the sea.
An hint: spaghetti alla carbonara di mare are great!
Maybe the service is not too fast, but we are on holidays, does it really matters?

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Food was very good ( not ample but still more than enough ) prices reasonable, service great and the location very summerlike!! Great!!

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Very bad experience. Mussels were served cold. Almost fight to replace them. I ate my starter and main course while my friend was waiting for his starter still. Bad behavior of the italian stuff. Not commercial, nice location but all the rest were a sad story

2  Thank Johnmarkac13
Reviewed July 20, 2014

As a rule, I travel alone because I am picky with places and especially with food. I worked in a couple of restaurants in a couple of EU countries and I am a pretty good cook. In other words, I am aware of the challenges a restaurant kitchen has to face to satisfy customers who often know next to nothing about food and whose diet is made of processed foods that come out of a frozen carton in the best of cases. That's why I am very careful when I choose a place to go eat, especially if it's my birthday and I want to celebrate with what I like best: a simple meal, well prepared. What does that mean? It's hard to explain but if you go to the Hostatria, you will get a sense of what a simple, well prepared meal should taste like. Please arrive early, around 8 or 8:30, or if you like to eat late, make sure you make your meal selections along with your reservation a day or so in advance. The Hostratria is a small place and tends to fill up quickly. The ambiance is very romantic. Your table sits at the edge of a beach boardwalk in the remotest corner of Ag. Dimitrios beach, the most suggestive and spectacular water view on Paros. One would admittedly have a great time even if fed just bread and EV olive oil. And what bread! The bread, and most of the pasta, is home made on the premises. It's amazing what the staff can whip up in such tight quarters. They even have a pizza oven out of which comes the perfect crust. I had two meals here in the past week. Both times I was served impossibly delicious appetizers. The polpette of fish and potato are so perfectly textured that they melt on your palate and deliver a shot of intense satisfaction. The focaccia crust is so deliciously crunchy and tasty that you could make a meal just with that and a few drops of EV olive oil. The house wine is perfect with your appetizer but if you are picky as I am, ask Luca (one of the co-owners) to open for you a bottle of their best sauvignon blanc. I sipped the sauvignon with my carbonara di mare, a seafood variation of the popular pancetta and egg pasta dish. I am slightly allergic to shrimp, but my carbonara was lightly dressed with mussels, octopus, shrimp, and other seafood, which perfectly balanced the egg. With seafood instead of pork, the carbonara is also less rich in cholesterol and therefore much healthier than the traditional version, but what makes it irresistible is the satisfying and delicate variety of flavors blended in the creamy texture of the sauce. I made sure I praised the chef for the perfect creaminess of the egg, which is skillfully achieved without adding any cream. (To add cream in carbonara is to cheat.) That's right. The traditional carbonara has no cream but the beaten egg must be cooked to perfection just with the heat of the pasta. To achieve the perfect texture, the egg and the excess water released by the pasta need to bind to form a smooth, frothy coating by tossing the pasta in the pan. The carbonara was so delicious that, in spite of the more than generous portion, I had to dip the home made bread into the bits of sauce that I didn't manage to pick up with the homemade spaghetti. The eggplant parmesan was deliciously tasty, bold and delicate at the same time, and lively on the palate with fresh basil and freshly grated parmesan. I can't wait to go back for more. I have time, since I am staying on Paros for quite a while. But if you are here only a few days, please don't miss the Hostatria. The view is breathtaking and the food is delicious and super satisfying. If you understand next to nothing about how to make simple and well prepared meals at home, especially Italian food, please tell your waiter what you tend to like and dislike, and Luca will serve you the meal of your dreams. Don't miss the Hostatria. You will love it. As for myself, I can't wait to go back and have the cod, the appetizers, and all the other fish dishes on the menu. Oh, and you won't believe what amazing whiffs of goodness will delight your nostrils when you approach the place. Make sure you come hungry so you can eat to your satisfaction.

1  Thank paasso
lollog88, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hostatria Ristorante Italiano, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear costumer,

we are really proud to receive and read such an analytical and detailed review written by a chef that knows kitchen's dynamics.
This review stimulate us to continue our mission with dedition and humility.
We hope to see you soon in our restaurant again.
Best regards