“Good hotel centrally located in Seiffen”

Hotel Erbgericht Buntes Haus
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Seiffen
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel was very centrally located and was great for a one night stay in Seiffen. The hotel restaurant was also very good. Be sure to look around at the Wooden figures in the hotel check-in and entry area, as I found some very unique gifts that I would not have found otherwise.

-Parking was fine, but you have a trek up/down the hill each time you head to the car. Be sure to time things accordingly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We chose this hotel because it is situated in the Zentrum of Seiffen. The staff was courteous, knowledgeable, and friendly. We really enjoyed our room as we prefer the personal touch versus the chain hotel style.
Being in the center of town we literally stepped out the door and into various shops selling quality Christmas pyramids, smokers, and other decorations. It was nice to drop off our packages and head out to other stores.
We had lunch in the restaurant where the food was good, the server was friendly and worked with our assault on her native language!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to do some serious shopping in the town of Seiffen and relax in between.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We chose this hotel based on TripAvisor reviews and we weren't disappointed.

We were greeted by the owners when we checked in, who were two of the few folks in Seiffen who speak German. They gave us a room on the third floor (second floor to Germans) which overlooked the front of the hotel and the main street - no problem, there is no traffic at night in this tiny village! The room was spacious and had a very m,odern bathroom with, unlike most German hotels, toiletries!

There is room for about a half dozen cars to park in front of the hotel (spaces not reserved), and a good-sized public lot just down Hauptstrasse.

The hotel has an elevator and a free computer (not just wi-fi).

The hotel is perfectly located at the intersection of Hauptstrasse and Bahnhofstrasse. It's the center of the toy shopping district (which is probably why you came to Seiffen in the first place!) and the famous Seiffenerkirche is just up the hill.

You need not leave the hotel for good food. There's a pasta bar and an excellent restaurant at which we had dinner (separate review). Breakfast was extensive and great.

It's clear not many Americans come to Seiffen - it's a hidden treasure.... If you come, try the Buntes Haus - you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SabreSailor
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We love, love, love this hotel right in the center of Seiffen. We are Americans living in Germany and have experienced many German hotels and this is by far one of the best. Almost EVERYONE at the hotel and the shops spoke English and if they didn't they would find someone that did to help us. The rooms a almost perfect but in the summer months a fan in the room would be a plus for the guests since it's not airconditioned as most hotels in Germany are not. There was a group of bikers from Scottland and the noise was no problem at all.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2TravelingTheWorld
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I have lost track of how much time I have spent at this hotel, but it continues to meet and exceed my expectations. I always stay a week and take advantage of the special they have which includes dinner and breakfast each day. I traveled alone this year and my price was 324 euro. For the week! For 7 breakfasts and 7 dinners! How can you beat that price? The food was once again terrific and seeing the same staff year after year is a joy. The location is perfect!

My only suggestion is to equip a few guest rooms with wifi and then let people ask for those rooms when they book. It is clearly a vacation hotel, not a business hotel and I never saw anyone else use wifi there. But, I go on business and need wifi a lot. It is never a problem getting wifi in their public areas, but, I always feel uncomfortable sitting in their lobby having a conference call via the internet. The room I stayed in (106) actually DID get a weak wifi signal sometimes, so all they need to do is add a booster and the rooms above the public areas could be wifi equipped.

But this was my problem as, like I said, most people go there to relax. It is within walking distance of everything. I just love it there. Already looking forward to next year's trip and I've only left 2 days ago!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We just returned from a one-day trip to Seiffen and stayed here. The room was great, very comfortable and a nice size. Our room overlooked the main street which was not a problem - even during the peak holiday period. If I had to find a couple areas for improvement it would be more, fluffier pillows, and don't take the room over the bar - the music plays - though softly - in the wee hours of the morning. But if you are sound asleep I doubt you will hear it. If you come from a different time zone like we did then even the slightest noise would be heard. We also had dinner in the restaurant and the service and the meal was great. I would highly recommend this hotel and will be returning again in the future. We were also told there was limited parking but actually there wasn't any - maybe because of the Christmas stands. The car park is up the hill behind the hotel, so it is a little distance from the hotel. Pull up in front (onto the sidewalk) and remove your luggage before heading to the car park.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BKL23
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My friend and I went to Seiffen in Saxony because we learned about the
woodcraft industry there and were enchanted by the many shops with beautiful
German handcrafts. The Hotel Buntes Haus is right in the center and is a
lovely charming inn with restaurant and bar included. The hallways and rooms
are straight out of a German fairytale with a different carving decorating each
entrance. The service was excellent and the staff friendly. Only one drawback.
The hotel also has a large party room on the first floor and one night there was
quite a celebration which went on til late. We were there in summer, but I am sure
that in winter near Christmas time it will be hard to find a room in Seiffen. So book early. Parking is limited out front, but we were lucky and had a great spot.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank littlefleur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seiffen
Panorama Berghotel Wettiner Hoehe
#3 of 6 in Seiffen
Hotel Sonne
Hotel Sonne
#5 of 6 in Seiffen

Been to Hotel Erbgericht Buntes Haus? Share your experiences!