“Beautiful and friendly!”

Eifeldom Monschau-Kalterherberg
Ranked #3 of 27 things to do in Monschau
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was told to visit this village and didn’t know what to expect. Once there I was amazed with the scene, architecture and the people. The village is surrounding by mountains and there is river cutting across it. The buildings are colourful and full of flowers. Every single shop or restaurant is in keeping with the local tradition. There are lots of walking trials to be done around the village and I wish I could stay there longer than a day. The people are so friendly and kind and that makes the place even better. The shops are very cheap and full of good things to be purchased specially leather and glass decorations. It is definitely a place to visit! Beautiful and amazing!

3  Thank DaniHP

Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

we have just returned from monschau Christmas market which is a wonderful experience in an amazing location. we have visited in summer also andvthe eifel region is also very rich in beautiful countryside for walking and cycling. monschau is a stunning well preserved old town with many cosy places to eat and drink and well worth a visit .

1  Thank debcox
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Never in a millions years would I have ended up here on my own, but the tour from Valkenburg (NL) to the Circuit at Spa-Francorchamp stopped here this morning for a few hours. How beautiful and how blissful! Really we just wandered the town, climbing to the Burg (which was closed) and puttering through the small market. Up and down the main street were happy people and music. The summer music festival was rehearsing (which is why the Burg was off-limits), and so there was music from the Burg (Mozart opera), an orchestra rehearsing in a church just off the main street (Fledermaus Overture), a choir rehearsing near the main street, and a lovely little belled clock playing Mozart and Beethoven on the hour. All this music wafting over this lovely valley. Eventually we just put ourselves down in a cafe and enjoyed coffee, a light lunch, and apfelkuchen.

What a treat the morning was, and how unexpected!

Oh, and for your comfort, there are good WC's at each of the main parking lots outside the village. No coin needed for the facilities! May I also recommend you park outside and don't try to drive in!

2  Thank SyrinxSounds
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were in Deventer, Netherland and after knowing how pretty Monschau is through the web, I decide to drive 3 hrs there. It's beautiful and the most beautiful German town I've been to so far. We took many beautiful pictures and though the town is not big, you're totally absorbed by it's charm. Food is good too and I promise if I visit Germany again, I will spend several nights there and use it as a base to explore other areas.

2  Thank nitamMacau
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Have just returned from 5 days in Monschau in the German Eiful. So pretty,and historic it takes your breath away. The locals are so friendly and the cakes are to die for. There was a truly great brass band playing in the square surrounded by tables with sunshades over them and many people sitting eating and drinking. It is also good for halloween and the xmas markets.

3  Thank Bettric