“Very Pleased”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Herford
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Very Pleased”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Can not fault this hotel, spotless, pleasant staff, breakfast just enough, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you for a most pleasant stay. If I could say one thing it would be! Please leave a time table In the room for times for breakfast, as we were not in A rush so went down for breakfast round about 8 30 , but by 9 30 10,00 they were changing the buffet breakfast over to the cakes that they sell in the coffee shop. So need to be a bit clearer on the breakfast times and what you can eat. This I hope helps how the guest feels when they come down to breakfast. I would stay here again thank you.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

I was at the Hotel Hansa for 2 weeks over New Year and into January 2014. I can only say that I had a lovely stay. The management and staff were charming, friendly and very helpful - service was excellent. These qualities are the most important for me when assessing the standard of a hotel. My room was comfortable and clean. The staff who tended to my room were friendly and efficient. I enjoyed breakfasts every day, both the quality of the food and the atmosphere of the breakfast café room. I travel often and have stayed in more luxurious hotels, but the hotel Hansa beats most of them. I thoroughly recommend it.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My sister and I required a central location for our 10day visit. The choice was
Hotel Hansa. Happy to leave this advise here ,Hotel Hansa in Herford is perfect in every way.
Staff is friendly and helpful our room was clean and taken care of very well.
A fine breakfast in the morning helped to make our day.
overall good value for money , a place for extended visits.
My sister and I visiting our place of birth from Australia. Thank you to management and staff.
Gisela & Ilse

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel had been recommended by a work colleague who had stayed there previously and had also recommended it to other workmates who reported an enjoyable stay, so I had no doubts it was due to be good.

Since the hotel is in the town centre up a pedestrianised area, the taxi could only go so far but the driver pointed out the nearby alleyway leading to the premises and it isn't difficult to find: the hotel is actually built atop a small cafe which looks like a pastry shop but offers savoury snacks also. Although it's open to the public from mid-morning to lunchtime, it actually doubles a breakfast bar for hotel guests in the morning.

I was greeted by the hotel manager (apparently the son of the owner) who spoke pretty good English, so there are no translation worries. As I had made a reservation without a credit card I was required to appraise them of a late arrival (the reception isn't manned after 8pm) and rang the supplied number, which turned out to be hotel booking service - but the message got through okay.

Check-in ran smoothly; I was issued a room key (a smartcard) which also doubles as a means to open the sliding front door in the evening. My room happened to be up on the fifth floor; guests not wishing to ascend the marble staircase can use the elevator located down in the small lobby. The room was pretty large and clean with cute complimentary packs of Gummi Bears upon each pillow (refreshed daily!) but a price list indicated each of the small bottled drinks were 2E each. The en-suite off to one side felt small in comparison to the room but sufficed well with a good working shower (a godsend, given the hot sticky nights). Although I left the windows ajar at night there was very little noise: you'll hear church bells in the evening and early deliveries the following morning but I didn't find it particular disturbing.

I got the impression the room was tidied and stairwell swept daily - everything seemed spotless in Germany.

WiFi access is code-protected but coverage extended up the 5 flights of stairs (weaker signal but still fitted my means admirably). The owner warned that many places were shut monday evenings (including their own cafe) but gave me a map of the town, pointing out a choice of places to eat. Strolling around the town there are plenty of places still open, but many bars don't do meals, and many cafes are actually ice-cream or milkshake parlours. That monday night I ended up in an Italian to eat, and enjoyed a good meal plus couple of drinks (the Herforder beer is quite good) but be warned many restaurants and bars do not accept credit card, and very few offer WiFi access if you're a business traveller.

In terms of transport: the owner booked me in a taxi for the next morning (which arrived promptly) but as the taxi rank is only at one exit of the passageway I elected to forego later reservations, just strolling out to grab the nearest one.

I partook in breakfast for a few days of my stay: you are shown to a table and your order of tea/coffee is immediately taken, then invited to help yourself to the chilled cabinet featuring a continental breakfast of cold meats, cheeses, bread and fruit. The chef will do scrambled eggs or an omelette to order.

The general relaxed pace and overall feeling that nothing was too much service made my week-long stay quite enjoyable. I'm planning upon returning again later in the year on business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Fife, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We booked this hotel as a staging post whilst stopping in Herford for dealing with the requirements of the family state.

The hotel is located in the centre of Herford, the rooms are large, spacious and the staff could not be more helpful in meeting your needs. Breakfast is down on street level and provides a good range of food.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Herford knowing that you will be made welcome and looked after

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here for five days in April revisiting old haunts from 25 years ago! The manager couldn't have been more helpful, providing maps and advice, always with a smile. The hotel was spotlessly clean throughout, the bathroom sparkled! The breakfast was delicious and set us up for the day. The waitresses were great fun and even put up with my husband testing out his newly found German on them! All in all, a wonderful stay, we would not hesitate to recommend this lovely hotel and we shall definitely be visiting again in the near future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family and I needed a central location for a recent visit in Herford. The staff truly goes out of their way to make sure the client is comfortable. The location is central, you can walk to most places of interest. The breakfast buffet was simple but more than sufficient and, like everywhere in Germany, the coffee was delicious. Parking was free, wifi worked 80% of our time there but this wasn't a huge issue for us and we didn't mention it to the staff, maybe it could have been corrected.
On our first morning, we had slept in alot longer than expected. We were completely drained from our overnight plane travels and time change. At 10am, when the buffet was closing, we got a call from reception wondering if we wanted to come down and get some food before they put everything away. This was great for us and we truly appreciated the phone call, we were starving! The morning breakfast is complimentary when you stay there. It is served on the main floor in the adjoining coffee shop.
Just don't forget, if you like having a face cloth, bring some, most German hotels do not have these.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, just ask, they have some very queit rooms.