“Lovely woodland hotel near FRA”

Jagdschloss Monchbruch
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here on my own as my last night in Germany before heading out the next morning from Frankfurt airport. What a lovely setting, decent food in the restaurant, cozy room with wooden beams and a spanking new bathroom. Taxi ride to the airport took only 15 minutes, what a lovely last night in Germany!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed at the Jagdschloss over 4 days in January 2012. On the first night of our stay we ate at the hotel and our food was excellent, I had a dish of three types of fish which was most tasty. The second night was a function for a friend's 40th birthday. There were over 50 at the party and the hotel seemed to cope well, the food was good and available all night, the service great. Almost all attending the party stayed over and they moved breakfast to a larger area over the road. This may be a drawback for some, part of the hotel is on the other side of the road, but it does have a dedicated crossing. Although we had a rental car there is an hourly bus either to Russelsheim or Frankfurt Airport (number 752). Overall my room was good and cleaned well every day. Although the bed was comfortable it needs replacing soon. Breakfast was the usual meats, cheese and bread with cereals and fruit - eggs could be asked for at no extra cost, everything I ate was fresh and tasty. Despite being quite near the A5 and A67 the hotel is on it's own in woodland. It is within 15 minutes of the airport but I did not notice a huge amount of noise and disruption. I did not explore the forest much but many seemed to visit the woodland and stop at the hotel for refreshment. The staff were friendly and most spoke English to some degree, it felt very much like a family with children on site. There is almost no mobile signal reception around the hotel but this is offset by good wi-fi coverage throughout the main part of the hotel including my room. All in all I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2011

A great old hunting lodge, just south of the Frankfurt Airport, with a good restaurant, and extensive adjoining Hessen Land parkland for walking. Its 20 minutes to the airport by car, so this is a fantastic alternative to staying in a vanilla airport hotel if you have an early flight out of Frankfurt.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank frb2
Reviewed August 14, 2011

If your flight isn't too early in the a.m., and if you have a rental car and want to stay somewhere different than the Frankfurt Airport hotels typical of the area, this former royal hunting lodge hotel is a fun and unique experience. Off the beaten path and undergoing restoration, it's comfortable, clean, and located right at the edge of an interesting nature preserve with plenty of walking trails and lots of wildlife (even a few tame nutria that live in the pond). The old mill that serves as a restaurant and breakfast room is cozy--though it is showing its centuries-old age somewhat--but in good weather the beer garden can't be beat.

Our bed was comfortable, the bathroom spanking new and clean, but I can imagine that the rooms may be a bit cold in the winter given the high ceilings and bare wooden floors. But this is speculation; our stay was comfortable, quiet, and surprisingly charming.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This hotel is a great spot to spend the night before a early departure. It is near the airport (about a 15 minute drive) and in the middle of a nature reserve. We enjoyed sitting in the beer garden and relaxing with a few beers....very peaceful. The food at the restaurant was also very good (although a little expensive). The rooms were large and comfortable but desperately in need of updating. Overall it was a good experience, but the condition of the rooms prevent me from giving this hotel a higher score.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2010

In the middle of the woods, your choice of Beer Garden or Formal Dining. Great rooms and service.
I had mistakenly made two reservations for the night, They did not charge any fees for this error and gave me the better of the two rooms I had reserved.
If you have a car this place is hard to beat on the last night in Germany. Handy for the airport in the morning, rush hour traffic has no real impact on you getting to the airport on time.
I stumbled on this place a couple of years ago and have since used it for my last night in Germany on my trips.
As stated before by other travelers, it is off the end of the south runway and can sometimes have some jet noise. You only notice it when you are eating outside in the summer, once inside with the windows closed you cannot hear this noise. In six stays this has been a factor only once and even then not a major one, the food was worth it.
No Wifi, this to me is the biggest negative, but I get over it by going for a walk in the nature preserve that surrounds the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank bikeontheroof
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Jadgschloss our last night before leaving Germany to return home. I wanted a German-style hotel near the airport so we wouldn't have to make a mad scramble to catch our flight. I didn't want a typical American style hotel which abound near the airport. So it was with great pleasure that I discovered this little gem in a wooded, rural area less than 15 kilomenters from the airport - no more than 20 minutes away in the morning rush hour traffic.

The hotel is sited at the edge of a huge fenced nature preserve criss-crossed by small roads and used by guests and locals alike for riding bicycles, jogging, or just sauntering. The rooms are excellent, modern and fresh. The hotel has a fancy restaurant and a more democratic beer garden on site. The restaurant requires a reservation (just a formality) and serves various game dishes as well as traditional fare. There is ample free parking on site. The breakfast was epic and included still-warm fresh brotchen, assorted meats and cheeses, cereal, etc.

Though this hotel will become a regular for us for our last night in Germany, I must, in the interests of full disclosure, relate that there is one down side to the hotel which may be seasonal or vary with weather conditions and that is that it (at least on the night we stayed) is in the approach path of landing airplanes at the busy near-by Frankfurt airport. The weather was lovely and we wanted to keep our two windows open as we slept but the sound of the landing aircraft made this a less than pleasant experience. Still, a nice hotel which I will gladly stay in again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple