“Nice rooms, good breakfast, bad servce re buffet dinner”
Review of Hotel Mardin

Hotel Mardin
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hoppegarten
Asker, Norway
“Nice rooms, good breakfast, bad servce re buffet dinner”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The rooms are nice with practical lockers. Breakfast is good - although Germans love to queue up for everything, e.g. a single piece of bread - that takes time..
But having a buffet dinner at this hotel is a bad experice. As there was not enough waiters it took half an hour from ordering a glas of beer before you got it. The service was bad from the barman. One does not seem to understand that at the end of the day, it is the custommers that pay their saleries and the Income of the hotel. Without custommers no hotel and no jobs.

The hotel lies in a Nice rural area. As to transports, if you are not together wit a group, it is not easy to go, on your own, to the city center of Berlin by Public transport; Our bus used more than 30 minutes.

Room Tip: Choose a quiet room away from the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Oivind T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

After reviewing some of the other reviews, I began to think I had made a big mistake and wasn't sure how things were going to turn out. However, there wasn't any reason that I needed to have worried. I was well aware that it wasn't in the centre of Berlin. I actually enjoyed the 15-20 minute stroll from the hotel to the Berkenstein station, followed by the 30 minute train ride into Berlin. I was on holiday, I didn't have a schedule that meant I must be at such and such at such a time. The room was clean, the bed comfy, the staff generally friendly and smiling. The sauna costs an extra 3 euros to use, but I didn't think that too unreasonable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jez74
Eastern Norway, Norway
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I'm afraid I disagree with the many terrible reviews. The hotel is some distance from the centre of Berlin, but that should not come as a shock or be considered valid criticism. If you don't want to drive, take the bus or a train to the city, you literally have to pay the price for a more expensive hotel.

I believe the hotel was possibly established before the German unification and as such was not originally built according to Western standards. It seems to have been upgraded since then and I have no complaints. The staff have been very helpful, always smiling and politely greeting guests.

The room I had was quite nice. It was located on the first floor and faced inwards, overlooking the ground floor's sod roof and the small forest behind the hotel. I assume people facing the road were at an disadvantage. I slept very well at night as I never heard any traffic or noise. I enjoyed lots of sunlight from the large window, and while open I only heard the sound of birds chirping. The heavy blackout curtains worked properly at night. As hotel room carpets go it wasn't very unusual.

The beds were comfortable enough, the sheets and covers were clean. The bathroom facilities and shower cabinet were clean, somewhat modernized and adequate. Various cups, soaps and different paper towels, seat covers were provided etc.

The desk, small table and chairs met my needs. The TV offered various channels from around Europe. The Internet did not work at the beginning of the week, but I opted for one of the several commercial providers. These other Wifi options were fast and very affordable.

Breakfast is served in the welcoming and intimate restaurant area. The restaurant staff was friendly and efficient. When eating breakfast you may choose a table by the large glass windows facing the outside seating area.

The breakfast was very good and goes beyond the standard continental breakfast. The buffet consisted of breads, cereals, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, various cold meats, cheese, youghurts, some salad, fruit, cakes, various juices, coffee, tea and milk.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 956AndH
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was travelling around Europe with my partner and happened to book this place through Travel Republic.
Everything was going great with flights on time and trains also. However when arriving at the train station near the hotel what a joke it turned out to be.
It is a good 30 minute walk to the hotel through some very unfriendly looking German villages. and with nothing nearby. Please note that the nearest shop is next to the train station so pop in before you head for the hotel.
When we arrived at the hotel we were 15 minutes early for check in so waited in reception at 2:30 we asked if it was ready. the receptionist simply said "NO IT NEEDS CLEANING YOU WILL WAIT" at this point a German family came in checked in no problems got a full run down of the hotel everything around and times for dinner etc.
We then asked for our room again and the lady didn't even say a word just threw the key over the desk at us. We found our own way to the room. Overall the room wasn't too bad it was clean and had what you would need. So i cant fault on that. I then asked at reception about breakfast etc and was told come back tomorrow we are busy to talk now. But then helped the next person who was not English.

I stand by previous reviews and thought it may just be people being over dramatic. However i now stand by the fact this place is so anti-English and unhelpful. I would not as anyone to stay at this place.

We checked out the next morning first thing and found a holiday inn right in the middle of Berlin for the same price with nice friendly people and enjoyed Berlin much more. If anybody wishes to ask me anything about this place please email me.
paulsouthport@live.co.uk

Enjoy your holidays. Just not here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Paul M

Travelers are raving about these Hoppegarten hotels

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I just left from that hotel , well it's not in Berlin as with no car access you can't do anything . It took us 25 min to drive to the city centre , the location is terrible. The rooms were horrible , we had back pain from the beds. If you want to relax do NOT GO THERE.
The hotel was empty and I understand why , you also have to pay for Internet which not logic for a 4 star hotel . Moreover, the cleaning lady start talking loudly around 8am every day no consideration for the guests that are sleeping. The housekeeping also refuse to clean the room after 11h even if we ask for it .
In summary I advice every person with good sense not to go there .

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Radia1990
Netherlands
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This hotel is technically not in Berlin, but just outside of Berlin.
Terrible front desk service, bad beds, terrible pillows, no refrigerator in the room, and internet (only option 5 hours for 10 euro) does not work! (room 327)
I didn't get my money back after I was promised so.
Excellent breakfast however with a very pleasant and kind lady, who made sure everything was in order.
Shower is also very good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gwyneth161
Malmö, Skåne Län, Sweden
Reviewed January 3, 2013

had the worse experience of my life, we travel 3 friends btw age 23-25 for new year celebration 2012. the room were DISGUSTING, they stink, no air conditions, u can hear traffic from ur room, TOO FAR FROM CITY, nothing to eat, we slept hungry n checked out the 1st thing!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tessbee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoppegarten
HEP Hotel Berlin
Hotel B1
#390 of 634 in Berlin
Köpenick
pentahotel Berlin-Koepenick

Been to Hotel Mardin? Share your experiences!