“The Bayertor Called Me Back”

Bavarian Gate (Bayertor)
Plattsmouth Ne
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“The Bayertor Called Me Back”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I've had a 56 year long love affair with the Bayertor and beautiful medieval Landsberg that lies below it. As a 20 year old American serviceman from the cornfields of Nebraska, it was the most incredible thing I had ever seen. Gazing up at it transported me back 531 years and fired my imagination. I saw it almost daily for two years and after a transfer north, visited frequently. I had to say goodby on a cold night in December 1959. For 48 years it softly called to me to come back. I finally did, in 2008, 2010, and 2011. It was a happy reunion; everything was just as I had remembered it. The Bayertor looked even better with its fresh paint. It is considered one of the most beautiful medieval gates in Bavaria, and is a complete gate, with all its original sections in tact. It is 118 feet high and stands on a high hill with the walled town built down the steep slope to the Lech river. The river has a wier, or man made waterfall that extends across the river and decends in four roaring cascades. The town is a medieval archetectural jewel, packed with four more medieval gate towers, baroque churches, a triangular main square with a large flower surrounded fountain, narrow winding streets, sidewalk cafes, bakeries to die for, inns and hotels in medieval buildings, concerts and music events, friendly helpful people, great little shops, farmers markets, all modern services, and if there are any tourists there, they're not obvious. I'll be there next month again, and every year after that, as long as I'm able. Thanks to the Bayertor calling me back.

Visited October 2011