“Perfect place to stay in Sulzbach-Rosenberg”

Brauerei Gasthof Hotel Sperber-Brau
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Perfect place to stay in Sulzbach-Rosenberg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I cannot say enough great things about the Brauerei Gasthof Hotel Sperber-Brau. I stayed here for two weeks during a summer music festival just a couple of weeks ago and was thoroughly pleased with the accommodations. This was my second extended stay in this hotel. My first stay was for the music festival in 2012.

The rooms are nice, well equiped with everything you need, and the Sperber family is friendly and welcoming. It almost has a bed and breakfast feel. The staff are friendly, competent, and professional. There is wifi if you are in a room in the front half of the hotel. If you are in the back half, you will need an ethernet connection.

I did not bring my family with me on this trip, but it would be easy to do so. It is certainly a family-friendly atmosphere. The restaurant is fantastic and the beer wonderful! I would recommend this hotel without reservation to anyone traveling in this region. This area seems very popular with cyclists traveling through so if you're doing that, this is the place to stay. You are walking distance to pretty much anything you would want or need in town.

Room Tip: If you want wifi without ethernet, stay in the front half of the hotel. The back half of the hotel...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Czech first
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Have stayed here and in their small apartments many times and always pleased. Good value, great location, friendly service, typical city noise like street traffic and church bells, excellent breakfast, and tasty beer. No wifi but ethernet cables available for hardwire connection. There is also access to a shared computer in the hallway.

Room Tip: Bathrooms in all rooms are small but very modern and functional. Their small apartments are slightly...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have stayed several times at this family run pub/hotel. Having lived for several years in the district as a young person I can assure you that you won't get any better value and quality then this. The food is excellent and cheap, the rooms are clean and comfortable. There isn't a fridge in your room which is a pity but that is the only negative. This is true German style food and hospitality. We visit family otherwise we wouldn't really stop here but if this is a stop for you on the way to somewhere please stop and have a meal here. This kind of place doesn't really cater well for vegetarians but for us eat eaters absolutely perfect!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heidereddrop
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

Von außen sieht das Gebäude eher traditionell aus. Wenn man durch den Gasthof ins Hotel geht (Rezeption ist die Restauranttheke) merkt man dass es langsam moderner wird. Im Hinterhaus lag mein Zimmer: Dicke Türen garantieren, dass man vom Flur nichts hört, die Zimmer selbst sind sehr hochwertig ausgebaut. Die Baddekoration ist sehr gelungen (siehe Fotos, ich verzichte mal auf Beschreibungen), Materialien von Tisch, Stühlen Türen ect. sehr wertig. Vom Design also top. Eine Aussenschalousie, macht das Zimmer ganz dunkel. Eine Nachttischlampe fehlte leider, man kann nur das Zimmerlicht aus-, oder anmachen. Ausserdem gibt es keine Minibar, dafür aber eine Flasche Wasser gratis. Beim Frühstück war ich etwas enttäuscht. Das ging über die basics nicht hinaus. Dafür saß der eine oder andere "local" mit halbem Liter Weissbier beim Frühstück neben einem, etwas befremdlich für's Nordlicht aber eben original bayrisch

Room Tip: Ask for rear building
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Salamano
Germantown, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

The hotel is a lovely, boutique-styled guest house in the center of downtown Sulzbach-Rosenberg. My reservation was made easily through Booking.com. The restaurant and guest rooms are very charming and individually decorated. My room was small but inviting and well appointed and my stay was very comfortable. There was some neighborhood noise (church bells, voices, cars) with the room window open that I did not hear once I closed the windows. There was no A/C or fan in the room. A friend staying in a different room had a hard time sleeping without a fan or other white noise.

Although the hotel advertised free in-room Wi-Fi, I was unable to get a Wi-Fi signal in my room (21). With a DSL cable provided by the owner, I had good, fast internet access during my stay.

The included breakfast had a good selection of typical Bavarian food options (bread, meat, cheese, eggs, fruit, yogurt). I ate dinner at the restaurant twice. Their beer is very good, but I was unimpressed with the dinner menu. There are plenty of other food options within close walking distance.

The staff was quite friendly and spoke English fairly well. The most difficult aspect of my stay was trying to get the Value-Added Tax refunded to me (as a non-EU resident). Fortunately, it worked but it meant staying until "the bureau lady" came mid-morning, making me late for a work meeting. Just know that it might be problematic to get VAT excluded from the room cost.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AlaskaM0m
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2008

My wife, daughter and I had a delightful stay at the Sperber hotel.

We made reservations by direct email contact with the hotel. The hotel was responsive to our email contacts (we had some follow-up questions). They also let us make reservations without providing a credit card number.

The hotel was beautifully renovated a few years ago. Although our room was not large, it was more than adequate, and it included a good bathroom with shower.

A good breakfast is included in the price of the room. The hotel's food was so good that we eat dinner at the hotel each night. The Sperber's also have their own brewery, and their beer is great.

The only drawback we experienced is that our room was located just above the hotel kitchen and part of the hotel restaurant. Because many people come to the hotel late at night for beer, and because the weather let us keep our windows open at night, we could here noise from below when trying to sleep. Next time, I would ask for a room in a more quiet location.

Despite this one drawback, we will certainly stay at this hotel again if we return to Sulzbach Rosenberg.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank WilsonNorthCarolina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sulzbach-Rosenberg
Hotel-Gasthof Am Forsthof
#1 of 1 in Edelsfeld
Landhotel Sternwirt
Landhotel Sternwirt
#1 of 1 in Weigendorf

Been to Brauerei Gasthof Hotel Sperber-Brau? Share your experiences!