“Superb food and very friendly service”

Al Gallo Nero Hotel Seehof
Ranked #13 of 83 Restaurants in Starnberg
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I spent five days in Starnberg together with my parents for health reasons and since the restaurant was part of the hotel Seehof and we ate very well the first time we decided to pay daily visits to it for dinner. The ambience is warm and rustic and you are immediately welcomed by one of the Italian waiters. Throughout our visits we were always warmly welcomed and we almost felt like family. Of course the ability to communicate in Italian also helped. They were also very compassionate about the fact we were in Starnberg for health reasons.
Since we dined there on a daily basis we had the chance of tasting a number of items from their vast menu and specials of the day. It is difficult to say what I liked the most but I would highly recommend their spaghetti al ragu Di cinghiale which is a pasta with boar meat. Their panda cotta was also to die for and is served with a compote of forest fruit.
We are soup lovers and we all loved their tasty minestrone and their creamy lobster bisque. The only thing they are probably lacking in is their creativity to make varying salads. All their salads, except for one, only contain greens so it is difficult to make a fulfilling meal out of them.
Our wonderful experience was concluded with a specially cooked dish of scaloppine ai funghi for my dad and a superb spaghetti alle vongole chosen from their specials. I was savouring every bite with it's well balanced white wine and a hint of paprika as a substantial amount of clams. We were then surprised with a cake on the house as a farewell thought. It consisted of an alcohol-soaked chocolate sponge with a layer of jam and a cream topping.
I can say we were warmly welcomed every day, well taken care of and every day felt like home. We will definitely miss their superb food and friendliness.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Starnberg is at the end of S-Bahn 6 line Tutzing. Thousands of tourists descend upon the lake here from Munich. I saw hordes from a convention taking place in Munich. They probably pass by this restaurant without even noticing it located in the Hotel Seehof. It is family operated and the owner who is Italian runs the show, assisted by other family members at times. The menu is not in English and the English menu card is very limited, and the waiter's English maybe limited. However, the food is excellent. I had the beef fillet it was done to perfection, the shrimps were excellent as well. The menu consists of Pizza, Pesce, Antipasto, Pasta, Carne, formaggi and insalata. Prices are very reasonable for the quality.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

During a recent business trip to Starnberg, my colleague and I ate here twice. Once for dinner and once for lunch. The location was very convenient to where we were staying. Since we both only spoke English there were some difficulties ordering. The menu is not in English and the waiters English was only a little helpful. We were able to understand the menu enough to get our orders in. During the lunch visit we ate in the outside Garden area which was very busy. There were 3 servers running around and our service was slow. No one even approached us after we were sat for 15 minutes. Once we put our order in it also took a long time. But when the food arrived it was good. On our next visit we had dinner inside the restaurant. It was later in the evening and the service was much better, but still what I would consider slow (but after several days in Starnberg I think that is the norm).
The dining room had a nice décor and feel the food was again very good and not too pricy. If in the area I would certainly give this spot a try, but would not use it as a destination.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I was spending my day in Starnberg with my dog walking around, I decide on Gallo Nero based on location and appearance...outdoors and very clean on a beautiful day. As I approached I explained I didn't speak German and they said no problem and sent over the server with the most English experience which wasn't much but if you've been to an Italian restaurant in the states the menu is not so foreign. They promptly brought my dog water and took my order...I enjoyed a great afternoon with a arugula salad followed by spaghetti bolognese which were both prepared perfectly...I also noticed all the dishes going by me looked wonderful! Both the atmosphere and food were both a great experience and I look forward to returning with my husband and family.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We were at dinner in this restaurant at the beginning of July and had to wait more than an hour to eat our so-called pizzas (a square-like something, maybe frozen?) and starters. Waiters did not care about us even if we asked about our orders: they just kept on saying that soon we would eat what we ordered. Toilet was inagible.
To be honest, this restaurant doesn't really deserve the denomination "Italian", starting from the food and ending up in the unskilled waiters.

It is a waste of money.