“You can find better hotels elsewhere...”

Ambassador Apparthotel
Rochester, New York
“You can find better hotels elsewhere...”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I lived at this hotel for six months a few years ago (my company's choice), and again recently for a business trip -- so I know the place rather well. I read somewhere that it had been recently renovated in April of 2012, right after I left the first time, but as far as I could tell, the only difference to the rooms was an upgrade from old bulky televisions to flat screens.

The pros:
1. The hotel is a short 5-minute walk to the Vaterstetten train station, which is convenient for getting downtown Munich -- it's about a 25-minute direct ride straight into the city. It is also within walking distance to the few businesses that are located in the Technopark, which is nice especially if you don't have a rental car and need to get there each morning.
2. The hotel rooms are always impeccably clean, although the furnishings are sparse and not very modern.
3. It's a very quiet hotel in a quiet little town. Most of the time, most of the rooms don't even seem to be occupied.

The cons:
1. No WiFi, only wired internet -- which is very annoying. Neither of my mobile phones were getting decent service in Germany during this most recent trip, and because there was no WiFi available, I was out of luck for checking voicemails or personal email.
2. Moody and irritable staff. The morning I checked in during my recent trip (about 8am due to an international flight arriving around 7:30am), the man at the desk made a complaining remark about how early it was to be checking in, even though he had a clean room ready for me immediately with no problems. During checkout, the same man was in quite a bad mood yet again, and seemed to be angry with me that I had rung the service bell making him come out of the back room. (During my six-month stay, a different woman at the reception would often chastise me for not speaking good enough German with her, although I had just started taking classes to learn, and was doing my best!)
3. Lack of privacy! I know this from my six-month stay; the cleaning staff will unlock and enter your room at any time other than the nighttime hours, without knocking, as they assume that no one would ever be in their room from about 9am to 5pm. The day I arrived last week early in the morning, I decided to take a quick nap to get over my jetlag a bit before heading out into the city. I woke up to the sound of my door opening, and a lady walking right in -- when she saw me she apologized and left. An hour or so later, when I was preparing to shower, a different lady walked in, and did the same. (My question: if the room was clean and had been checked into just that morning, why the need for two cleaning staff to enter it?) By the next day, there was a "Do Not Disturb" door hanger left in my room, which solved the problem after that!

Overall, it's a decent hotel if you absolutely need to stay in the Technopark area, but if you don't, there are nicer hotels with friendlier staff and WiFi available in the surrounding area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Chelsea R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I've stayed here a few times. The rooms are adequate, and the breakfast is fine. Normally the staff is friendly but when I arrived yesterday and the internet didn't work in the room, it was as though she didn't believe me. Internet in the rooms is only by cable. I asked to try a different room but she didn't seem to understand why I would want to do that. She had no one to call, not even their vendor. I left.

To be honest, even if you're staying at the Technopark, the S-bahn is nearby and you can find much better hotels in the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasbrunn
Glasl's Landhotel
1A Business Hotel
#1 of 1 in Baldham
Almwirt Hotel & Inn
Best Western Plus Hotel Erb

Been to Ambassador Apparthotel? Share your experiences!