I'm staying at the Hotel Ifen now. The rooms in the hotel are modern and nice, and the breakfast is not great, but okay. Wiesloch (not too far away) is a nice little town, and it's well-situated for people visiting the local companies.
However, there are a few downsides to note:
* They claim to have WiFi and "in-room internet", but that translates into T-Mobile at 18 euros/day. The room has a phone with an ISDN line, but you have to bring your own modem/adapter (unfortunately, I left mine back in 1995) and I presume you'd be hit with phone charges. There's a PC in the lobby with a net connection for guests to use, but it's kept turned off; to use it, you have to get the manager to turn in on and log you in. Had we known about this (we need better connectivity than that, since I'm a consultant working in the room while my wife is off at the job that brought us here) we would have stayed somewhere else. We in fact made arrangements to check out early and move to another, better connected hotel, but were told here at the Ifen that they would charge us for our full week's stay if we did. Sigh.
* There are no on-site laundry facilities; I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by this, but we've stayed in other business-type hotels that have had coin-op machines in the basement. They'll send out a bag of laundry for 4 euros and get it back to you in two days.
* The staff is competent but, well, a little cranky (and no, it's not just a language matter). Not quite to Basil Fawlty levels, but even simple requests seem like a burden. I'm glad I haven't had to ask them for help on a serious matter.
So, I dunno. It's not a bad place, but there's nothing here to make me want to stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This hotel offers modern rooms and apartments and it is located 900 far from the centre of Wiesloch.Each rooms has tea and coffee facilities and some rooms have balconies/loggia. Wi-Fi is available througout the building.Private parking is free.Heidelberg Castle and the Hockenheim Race Track are 20-minute drive from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, HRS, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Ifen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.