“Blown away by Super Schnitzel”
Review of Gambrinus

Gambrinus
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Harvard, Massachusetts
“Blown away by Super Schnitzel”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Blown Away! I love German food. I've been to lots of German restaurants stateside some very good most of which I've tried the Weiner Schnitzel. I love veal. I have to say though, now that I've been to Germany, I've had probably one of the best Weiner Schnitzels I will ever have. This was perfect. First off the veal was pounded thin, but not too thin. This was like 3/16-1/4" inch thick which for Weiner Schnitzel is very generous. There were two big pieces bigger than my hand. They were breaded with a very nice light breading. It was cooked to perfection, moist and tender. I didn't need my knife, I could cut it with a fork. They served a light salad to start that had a very nice light dressing on it. The veal came with potatoes that were fried with onions and bacon that was melt in your mouth good. They had a nice wheat beer that was really fresh and refreshing. I'd recommned this restaurant to anyone, couples or business. The atmosphere was cozy and allowed for reasonable conversation amongst our group.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can ever order Weiner Schnitzel again, because it will likely never be this good again! It's also in the heart of old town Esslingen near the Rathaus which is very pretty and a very nice walk.

• Visited January 2013

Gjovik
“Very good”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Excellent food, and a very friendly staff. Try their soup from the region Schwaben, I´ ve forgotten the name.

• Visited November 2011
Allen Park, Michigan
“Very good authentic German food with a varied menu”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

NOTE: I accidentally put this review under Kiri's Grillpfanne, but the actual restaurant is the Restaurant Gambrinus in the pedestrian zone in Esslingen. Kiri's is a small food stand next to the Esslingen train station, which serves amazing Greek fast food, perfect for grabbing a gyros and heading out onto the platform for some railfanning. Anyway, here is the review for the Gambrinus:

I know my Schnitzel. Be it Jaeger, Bauern, Wiener, Holsteiner, or Zigeuner, I'm quite fluent in the Schnitzel arts. This restaurant serves one of the best I have tasted. The menu is a fantastic mix of local and national favorites, prepared with quality and cheerfully served. The restaurant can seat groups of up to twenty (which we were) and the owner is a delight. Highly recommend.

• Visited December 2010