“Awesome experience!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Awesome experience!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Food and atmosphere combine for a sensational experience!

- The steak and salad were great and I loved the soup

Cannot wait to return to this special place!

• Visited April 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
“This restaurant is German =)”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

If you prefer to eat special "Schwabisch" food & drink good wine this restaurant is one of the must see... It is an old cellar which has turned to a restaurant. The food is reaaly good and the prices are reasonable... Do not miss it...

Visited February 2013
Huntsville, Alabama
“Great authentic Schwaben food!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food, cozy German rustic atmosphere and friendly staff! If you are looking for a great restaurant in Esslingen, Germany, do not miss this one!

San Antonio
“Lives up to its reputation”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

When I see that a restaurant or hotel is rated first in its city, I wonder: Can it really be that good? In this case, the answer is a resounding yes. Weinkeller Einhorn is in the charming medieval "old town" part of Esslingen. The cellar itself dates from the 1200s, which makes it the oldest room in which I've ever had a meal, and that's a fun reason in itself to enjoy this restaurant. But the restaurant, although an antique, isn't stuffy or pretentious. The decor is cozy, and all around us, people were having a great time with their friends. It's not a tourist place, either: we saw plenty of locals who were well known to the wait staff.

We were in town for the Christmas market (which is one of the best we've visited, by the way). The town was crowded, so we knew our chances of getting a table here were small. We tried to call in the afternoon, but the restaurant was closed, so we did what a lot of other people did: we showed up right at five o'clock when the restaurant opened. In Germany, when you're seated in a nice place, you have that table for the night. In this case, the maitre d' warned us that we would have to give up the table at seven o'clock, when the party who had reserved it would arrive. But two hours is an eternity to American eaters, and it was plenty of time to have a meal complete with appetizers and dessert. Still, knowing what we know now, we would have called the day ahead. We barely snagged a table and saw plenty of disappointed people turned away after we were seated.

I find German food to be a little heavy and low-end, without a lot of fresh vegetables, so I ordered the Maultaschen soup (Euro 4.20) and a salad (Euro 3.80). It was the perfect choice and plenty of food. Maultaschen, a local specialty, are basically large ravioli with any kind of filling they want to put inside. My soup had meat maultaschen, and it was obvious that both the pasta shell and the filling were fresh and homemade: I could taste the fresh parsley in the filling. The soup had a clear chicken broth, and I could taste the delicious "cracklings" from when the cook had fried up the onion with--I think--some pork fat and flour. I could eat that soup every single day.

The salad was also excellent: not dull lettuce leaves but very fresh, carefully chosen greens: arugula, raddicchio (I think), and aromatic lamb's lettuce (Feldsalat) in a light, mild dressing. There was also a serving of potato salad dressed in a mild dressing.

My husband doesn't mind heavy food, so he chose one of the daily specials: grilled Irish beef steak topped in a sauce made from a sharp cheese and fresh small mushrooms Euro 22.50). It could so easily have gone badly, but only a very small amount of the cheese had been used, so it kept the sauce from being boring and heavy, but it didn't take over either. Truly top-notch. Even though it's not my thing, I could have eaten it and been very happy. The meat was perfectly cooked, tender, and I think properly aged as well. It was piping hot, but it had been allowed to rest so that, when cut, it didn't leak juices. Really, every aspect of the main meal showed that attention to detail that separates good food from great food.

At a place like this, I had to try the dessert. German restaurants often disappoint Americans because Germans tend not to go for dessert; if they like sweets, they've probably had a nice piece of cake (Kuchen) with their coffee at four o'clock. This means that the American usually has to look over a list of monotonous ice cream desserts. But Weinkeller Einhorn had something I'd never seen before: German bread pudding (Ofenschlupfer) for Euro 5.50. It was heavenly! And I'm not particularly a bread-pudding person. It was moist without being soggy, and the vanilla sauce struck just the right note. It wasn't bready, either; I think it might have been some sort of sweet bread especially made for the dish. It had little chunks of baked apple as well. My husband matched me bite for bite, and he usually gives the desserts a pass.

The only thing I could venture to say against this restaurant is that its offering of beers was a very short list, although the beer itself was fine. But what can you expect from a wine cellar? The wine menu, naturally, was extensive.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Clare_and_Joe
Toronto, Canada
“When hometowners recommend something....”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

it's usually fabulous. This spot is old and new Germany mixed together with an amazing wine list. Friends that live in Esslingen brought me here and it was such a treat. We're returning soon to go to the Christmas market and we'll be sure to stop by the Weinkeller Einhorn for lunch - and I'll update the review!

• Visited December 2011