“Excellent Hotel / Trip”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hornberg
Hornsea, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel / Trip”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We travelled with Ryanair to Strasbourg.. only bug was the Car Rental deal.. EuropeCar wanted an extra deposit of 800 Euros.. could ruin some peoples holidays.. worth a check up front... anyway the road Strasbourg - Offenburg into the Black Forest area went smoothly.. travel past Hornberg until you reach Niederwasser.. and turn right... very very steep hill and fantastic views.. take it slow! . Almost at the top of the hill/mountain is the hotel.. exceptionally clean and welcoming staff..no hassles at the reception, we could go straight to our room with a balcony.. 100Euros a night , but this includes the swimming,jakuzzi and sauna.. everything just perfect, sitting in the jakuzzi wathing snowflakes and pine trees,, beautiful !.. the evening meal.. perfect, A table set out reserved in our names.. we didn't even ask.. service .. the wine.. food.. the next morning a fantastic breakfast buffet.. only the travel down the hill, our French rental had bad tyres ,,bit white knuckle .. but anyway added to the excitement... I can recommend this hotal 1000%

Room Tip: There are two buildings, the outer guest house is a little cheaper but if you are planning to use th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Set in the beautiful surroundings of the Black Forest this is a lovely hotel. The facilities are excellent with plenty of space, meeting rooms, a great little games area and the spa facilities. The views are amazing and there are plenty of walking trails in all directions around the hotel. The food was very nice with a wonderful salad bar. The staff were very nice and all wore traditional dress which was a nice touch. Rooms are clean and I had a very comfortable bed and a nice sized bathroom.
The hotel is quite remote so if you are looking for a lot of action this is probably not the place for you but as a beautiful and peaceful get away it comes highly recommended : )

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the carpark which was not the best view but the room itself was lovely howe...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank smithy2014
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

What a beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting! My room had a balcony with views to die for - looking down through a valley between pine forests. Facilities were excellent, the indoor pool & spa were wonderful, plenty of meeting rooms and a large, sunny terrace overlooking the forests. Plenty of walking trails surround the hotel. It is quite isolated, so you do need to provide your own entertainment, but if you are looking for a peaceful stay in this region, this hotel is perfect. I loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the valley.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank judi_rose
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We are a middle aged couple travelling with elderly parents, and stayed at Schone Aussicht in early July. The hotel rooms were modern and spacious (at least in the newer wing), and yet the hotel retained some black forest traditional charm. The food was very good, and one of the best parts was eating (and drinking beer) on the terrace with a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains and valleys. Although there is a pool and spa, we didn't get a chance to use them. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Wow - this place really is in the Black Forest - surrounded my great scenery and the forest itself.

It's quite isolated so isn't in a spot with loads of hotels and people around, the folks you encounter here are mainly serious walkers. It's a family run hotel and the Duffner family are involved on a day to day basis so it's got a nice friendly atmosphere. The staff all wear traditional dress which adds to the atmosphere too.

The hotel is very traditional and very rustic, the main rooms and corridors are full of charm (and Cuckoo clocks) The bedrooms are in the main perfectly fine although my room was under the eves which meant that bathroiom was really small - I could barely turn around in there it had no window so it was very claustrophobic, luckily I was in the room on my own so had to leave the bathroom door open to shower, it's a shame that the bathroom was so poor as the rest of the bedroom was fine and it did have a great little balcony with views over the hills and forrest.

I used to enjoy sitting out there very early in the morning before the day got going.

It was extremely warm the week I was there and there was no air conditioning and even with the window and door wide open at night I had trouble sleeping due to the heat. Perhaps the new building has better facilities.

The terrace outside is lovely and very popular with visitors and walkers for lunch, the food is traditional and there is a great salad bar. I stayed for 5 nights and we had some really nice meals whilst we were there. It's a shame there isn't lighting on the terrace at night as it was so nice whilst we were there we all sat outside but it would have been better with some lights as the candles were insufficient.

For the walkers there are some great trails easily signposted, there is also a huge rock named after Duke Karl Eugen of Württemberg it's 968 meters above sea level, one of the highest spots in Württemberg. If you make it up there you get some great shots of the hotel and the countryside. Some of our party were going up their early in the morning to catch the sunrise, it was supposed to be really lovely - I'm afraid to say I didn't make it there that early!

The hotel has a pool and a Jacuzzi and spa although these are inside and as the weather was so glorious it was the last place I wanted to be - although and open air pool would have been fantastic and I think it would have been very popular.

Certainly a very popular location and I would recommend this hotel - I would love to go back to spend more time walking - perhaps not in the height of summer though.

Room Tip: Avoid the height of summer it really does get very hot!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is in a beautiful location in the Black Forest of Germany. Rooms are very clean and very comfortable, meals are excellent, and staff is very attentive. The only negative for me was the lack of air conditioning during a very hot spell. However, during "normal" summer weather, this would not be an issue since ventilation is ample.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Charlie_From_Ohio
Coventry
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here a few years ago and wanted to take my partner on a typically German holiday so this was one of the places I thought about going again.

The staff are very friendly and as last time I was here, they don't seem to speak much English which is perfect as it is always nice to use my knowledge of German!

The food in the restaurant is excellent (menu is in German only). I had a wild bore hot pot and spatzle and my partner had schnitzels. The portions were too big, we could have shared either of our meals but it was very good. There is a good salad buffet. As seems to be typical in German hotels, a table is reserved for you in the restaurant with your "family name" on it, and you use the same table for all your meals, very quaint.

Breakfast has a wide selection and a great selection if you are gluten intolerant or any other allergies by the looks of things.

The pool is nice, it was quiet when we were there and we enjoyed the Jacuzzi too.

Parking is plentiful and free.

Location wise, it is a bit of a drive from the main road but worth it for the views, we were camping a lot on the holiday so didnt go out much as this was the restful part of our holiday but I suppose it could get annoying but being isolated is part of the charm. Both roads left and right take you back into civilisation.

The hotel was full when I booked so had to change our dates to get in but I am glad we did.

We had a room with a balcony, the higher the better so ask if they have something higher up. The beds were comfy. The decor was all solid wood, very nice and modern, not scruffy at all.

We found a look out point just up from the hotel, a giant rock with some metal railings on that you could climb up, very nice. There are also trails and all sorts in the forest nearby that we didn't have time to investigate fully but you could spend days walking around.

I have been here twice so probably wont come back again (I prefer trying new places), it is a bit costly but that seems the norm for the area. I would recommend it to my best friend if they wanted to try something typically German.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hornberg
Parkhotel Wehrle
Landhaus Lauble
Landhaus Lauble
#2 of 4 in Hornberg
Best Western Plus Hotel Schwarzwald Residenz

Been to Hotel Schoene Aussicht? Share your experiences!