“Terrible service here”

and 1 more site!
Ancienne Maison des Gardes
Ranked #7 of 12 Lourmarin B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I booked a room here about 2 months before my stay. I'm organized and planned the trip in advanced and booked all my lodging in 6 different towns before I left for 2.5 weeks in the country side of provence. I arrived at this hotel to find that they gave my room to someone else. Rose claimed I didn't confirm the reservation, when she in fact send me an email staying 'your room is confirmed'. She was very defesive and raised her voice at me. My advice if you stay here is make sure you confirm your booking a day or 2 in advance or she will give your room away to next person that comes along. Also, this place located in the city (village od ) Lourmarin, if you want to stay in the country or the Commune de Lourmarin, it's a more authentic and real village feel. If you have a car I would recommend that you stay out sideof the main village of Lourmarin. We had to go to the tourist office to find another room and wated our whole afternoon because of her. There were no more rooms left in the city centre, so we ended up .5 miles out of the city in a quiet neighborood with a really nice local family who were really kind and generous.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank travellingwrld2010
MilProvence, Owner at Ancienne Maison des Gardes, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2010

Please let me explain what happened.
I had a couple with a 2 week old baby who had been staying with me for a week. They had an emergency (their car broke down) and they needed to stay on a further 2 days in order to repair it. I emailed this client 3 times in advance explaining the position and offered her a lovely room in the house with a view of the chateau for the 2 nights she was to stay with me, at half price. I also rang her contact number twice to explain the situation and was told the number was invalid.
I am sorry that this client felt let down - this is the first time that this type of sitation has happened. and as readers will see from the other reviews of my bed and breakfast, I make every effort to ensure that my guests have a great holiday.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

Firstly this was our first visit to France and this part of Provence has definitely given us an appettite to see more of this wonderful area. Everywhere we went we were greeted by such friendly people, we found the people very helpful and welcoming.

We spent 5 fantastic nights in the Courtyard apartment. Everthing was provided for the perfect self catering holiday and the rooms were spotless. Our bedroom was lovely and cool and so peaceful. This place is definitely a hidden gem !

If you like properties with charm and character then look no further, this is the place for you. From the moment we walked through the gates on our arrival and we were greeted by Robin and his big welcoming smile, we immediately felt at home !

Rose and Robin are such fantastic hosts and we had two wonderful breakfasts during our stay on their beautiful terrace overlooking beautiful Lourmarin.

Lourmarin is such a pretty unspoilt village and if you enjoy your food then you will be spolit for choice with the vast array of restaurants that this small village has to offer.

During our stay we had fantastic meals in the following superb restaurants, L'Antiquaire, La Feniere (Bistro), La Louche á Beurre . L'Ormeau, and Piazza Nonni for fine Italian food.

Once again many thanks to Rose and Robin for being the perfect hosts and for making our stay in Lourmarin a very enjoyable and memorable one, we enjoyed talking to you both during our stay.

We will return !

Josephine & Paul

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wellywoman
Reviewed June 1, 2010

It is a well-located, small place in the city of Lourmarin. We used it to serve as a base to travel in the region and it was a good choice. The price was a little bit higher than I would think the lodging deserves, but the friendliness of the owners helped a lot.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alexandrebrasil1971
Reviewed December 16, 2009

We spent two nights at Rose and Robin's very welcoming B&B in their smallest accommodation, the Balcony Room, up an outdoor staircase from the enclosed courtyard. Besides the comfortable bed, the simply furnished room contained a small fridge and a cupboard full of dishes, glasses and cutlery, as well as an armchair and round table and chairs. Also much appreciated were the wonderful olive oil soap, plush towels and an atomizer bottle of a lovely natural fragrance in the toilet room, not to mention a copy of Peter Mayle's “A Year in Provence”. There was even an excellent wifi connection.

We had arranged ahead of time for Rose to cook dinner for us the first night, and we were quite overwhelmed with the quality of the feast. Since the B&B doesn't serve wine, Robin suggested that we visit the nearby wine cooperative store, and we came back with an excellent bottle of the very local red.

During the warm season, Rose hosts dinner on their terrace, but November is too cold for eating outside, so she served it in our room on a beautifully set table with candles. She brought each course from her kitchen a few steps up in the main part of their house. First a tureen of very flavourful pumpkin and shrimp soup, then guinea fowl in a tomato sauce made from the last of the local tomatoes and some pungent olives. Afterwards a cheese course with four delicious choices, and a pear torte (made by Robin), finished off with coffee. It was extremely good value, one of the best meals of our four weeks in France, and we wished we had booked dinner for both nights. (As it turned out, we were able to eat there again the second evening.)

Breakfast was served in Rose's kitchen and again everything was of the highest quality—freshly squeezed orange juice, good croissants and baguette with homemade jam, yogurt and fruit compote, and coffee. She provided us with useful information about cycling destinations in the area, and we went out for a scenic 40 km loop ride in the sunshine past vineyards and through picturesque stone villages.

Lourmarin is one of the “plus beaux villages” of France, and an excellent destination for cyclists and other travellers. I can't imagine staying anywhere besides Ancienne Maison des Gardes if we travel there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oldkoot1
Reviewed August 21, 2009

The week my daughter and I spent with Rose and Robin at the Ancienne Maison was the best week of the month we spent traveling in Europe this Spring (and it was an excellent month). We stayed in the newest of their three suites, and it was beautifully appointed and very comfortable. The suite had a full kitchen and living area on the entry level off of the courtyard, and a bedroom, sitting area and bathroom downstairs. The level of service was exactly what we wanted, when we wanted it. Rose and Robin struck the perfect balance between respecting our privacy, and being available for any assistance we required. I celebrated an important birthday while we were there, and they made us feel like family. The location in Lourmarin was also perfect. The rest of our trip was spent in cities, and Lourmarin was the classic French village ... with better food and shopping than you might expect to find. The Chateau also distinguishes Lourmarin from other French villages. We were there before the height of the season, and so did not experience the live music presented there. However, having toured the Chateau, I know it would be a wonderful venue. The market on Friday was also extraordinary. I hope to return to Lourmarin, and the Ancienne Maison, soon ... and often.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank winterbrd
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Welcoming and comfortable in a beautiful village, very good value with a delicious breakfast. Rose is very hospitable and has extensive of knowledge of the area.
I loved our peaceful room (s)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 230,377
Reviewed June 1, 2009

The welcome we received from our hosts far exceeded our expectations, and the accommodation was charming and extremely comfortable. We could have catered for our own breakfast, but decided to take up the offer of having it provided. Fresh strawberries from the garden, home made jams, wonderful breads & croissants were delicious and taken on a sunny terrace surrounded by flowers. Everything you needed was offered, and to have a laundry available was fantastic.

Lourmarin is a small buzzing town with lots of galleries, shops and restaurants, and must be in one of the most beautiful and unspoilt parts of France.

We would definitely recommend Ancienne Maison. Our only regret was we could not stay longer; we will though, without a doubt go back!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JudithWinchester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lourmarin
Moulin de Lourmarin
Cote Lourmarin
Cote Lourmarin
#2 of 12 in Lourmarin
La Maison de la Place - Lourmarin

Been to Ancienne Maison des Gardes? Share your experiences!