All reviewsnice hotelnext morningfront desk staffsurrounding areathere is no air conditioningstar hotelal frescounderground parkingfrench townthe main squarepleasant staystayed here for one nightbathroom windowmonet gardenscroissantstown centrefrance
Reviewed October 11, 2017

Spent just 1 night here as part of a Riviera travel tour and would definitely recommend. The hotel was a traditional hostelry, smalland full of character in the centre of the historic town.Good location to visit Monet's garden and the surrounding area. Rooms were comfortable and quiet withgood amenities apart from the sink plug which didn't work! The dinner in the evening was enjoyable with local dishes and the ambience was very pleasant.Staff all seemed very welcoming and helpful .We would be pleased to return=merci bien!

Room Tip: Higher rooms are v.quiet
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kentraveller97
Reviewed October 7, 2017

The hotel is clean and comfortable although the rooms are a little spartan. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location is within walking distance of a lot of local attractions and about a 10 minute drive to Giverny. I would give it 3.5 stars for it's overall quality as a hotel - it's very nice but just not a 5-star hotel. I would give it 4 stars for value for your money and 4.5 stars for the friendliness of the staff and it's location so I averaged them out to my 4-star overall rating.

A word about parking - the hotel does have an underground parkade that is fine if you are driving a small automatic or have nerves of steel driving a standard. To exit you have to push a button at the bottom to open the door, go up a very steep, slippery, narrow ramp that has a 90 degree bend part way up and hope that you don't spin out on the slippery ramp and still get to the top before the door starts closing. We used the parking for the first two nights and decided it was just too nerve-racking for the 7.5 euros they charge per night and parked in the open lot across the street for the next two nights - at a fraction of the cost and no stress getting into.

The restaurant in the hotel is quite good - we had two dinners there. For breakfast it was much cheaper to go get croissants and coffee at one of the nearby patisseries.

Overall I would recommend this hotel if visiting Vernon, Giverny or surrounding area - I just wouldn't recommend the underground parking.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ABTraveller10
Reviewed September 20, 2017

I really enjoyed my stay here. I thought the rooms were fine and spacious by European standards. Newly renovated so everything was super clean, good bathroom and shower, fluffy large towels and a workspace in the room. Wifi was an issue at first for work but then reception said I was welcome to work downstairs and I did with no issues. They have wifi on every floor or something so it works fine. Breakfast was good, eggs and bacon, toast, pastries, cheese, coffee, special coffee, juice. I enjoyed it and my meal the night before in their restaurant as well. I just want to say there were three different people on reception when I arrived, in the evening and check out and all of them were so friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank Geeena
Reviewed August 23, 2017

This was a very handy base near the centre of Vernon with easy walking around the town and to the river. The room was comfortable and clean though not overly spacious. The staff were very obliging and helpful, good food in the Restaurant too with a lounge available throughout the day. The decor had a feeling of 'Old English Pub' but was welcoming in a chilly February!

Stayed: February 2017
Reviewed August 22, 2017

This is an average hotel, at a 10 minute walking distance from the railway station, where you can also find the bus for Giverny (be careful and get informed about the timetable, it runs only every 2 hours...). I stayed in this hotel 2 days, coming from Paris and heading to Rouen after visiting Giverny. The weather was pretty cool and the room really cold. I tried to use the heater but it did not work. I was really lucky not to get cold. Room was quite clean but the bed lining was looking as somebody else before me used it... I even found some hair spread... The breakfast was expensive, but this pushed me to go and buy traditional French products from boulangerie, charcuterie and also from supermarket, so it was fine. The braserie was closed but there is a good restaurant nearby where you can go for dinner and eat pizza or grill with very good French fries. Some of the staff not particularly kind, I would say rather bored. They could do more, considering that it is a historic hotel (former name - "Golden sun", Balzac used to stay in), close to Vernon's own attractions: for example, you can visit the wonderful cathedral, the town museum (they were hosting an attractive Blanche Hoschede exhibition) and cross the Clemenceau bridge to see the Old Mill, so beuatifully painted by Monet.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo