“Excellent and a finding!!!”

Chateau de Citeaux La Cueillette
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Meursault
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent and a finding!!!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Me and my wife were on a weeklong trip trough Burgundy and I wanted to take her to a Chateau, but since we did our reservation on the last minute and these places are usually small, we couldn't find one so we were on a hotel in Beaune when, surprise, we came across an ad for La Cueillette, a place that had opened its doors September 7, if I'm not mistaken. Before that the first floor of the chateau was the winery office and the rest was kept closed down.

So to the review proper... The place is PHENOMENAL. We were the only guest - middle of the week, off season - and were treated like royalty. The staff went out of their way to please us and everyone seemed to know us. The rooms are brand new, which is great considering the chateau is old (but all renovated). We like modern amenities so for us the modern room and the "clean" look of it (white, few wall decorations) was perfect.

Meursault is just a 5/8 minute drive south of Beaune and so you are perfectly located to explore that area. Our best day was taking a trip though the D roads up to Aliséé-St-Reine and driving back on different D's, stopping all the way for pictures, and small town strolling. I write this just to let all know that you are very well located. After coming here I DEFINITELY recommend AGAINST staying in Beaune. And to add to that, Meursault is a very small and charming little town, we really liked it.

Back to the Hotel, I can't describe what it was driving all day through beautiful country, only to come back at 6:30 and head straight down to the heated pool, the sauna, steam room and THE JACUZZI!!! Perfect doesn't even describe it. And when we arrived I crossed paths with the manager and asked if the spa was still open, since I saw the lights off, he just said "of course, the Jacuzzi is waiting for you two to warm up after a day out" and when we came back everything was perfect and waiting for us!

We had breakfast one day at the hotel which was great, the restaurant is beautiful and the food was delicious and with plenty of variety. We did not eat dinner there, though, because we are not food lovers (ops, sorry, I've said it...) and I don't eat a lot of meat, so I can say what it is like, but it sure looks nice... And we had dinner on small restaurants around the region which we prefer, so that we can talk to the local people and really get a feel for the place.

And the price was great... So if you are heading to the region, do yourself a favor and book this place! And I hope you still get the prices we got, as La Cueillette won't remain unknown for another season I think...

We had a wonderful, relaxing time and definitely recommend this place for a stay in the region!

I'll put up my pictures next week so you all can see what I'm talking about...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FredJJ_Rio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Switzerland
Reviewed September 17, 2012

From the moment we arrived, La Cueillette surprised and delighted us. Over the last couple of years The Chateau has been completely refurbished to provide good quality accommodation, a spa with pool, a fine dining restaurant and a bistro. The finishes are excellent throughout and have retained many of the original features of the house which dates from the 19th Century. The dining room in particular is light, bright and airy and serves as a perfect back drop for Laurent Couturiers style. Dinner on Saturday was a highlight, with a balenced menu combining classic local produce from Burgandy with his signature style which replaces animal fats with lighter, more digestible alternatives.
As the hotel only opened 2 weeks ago the small team were working tirelessly to make sure everything ran smoothly, they succeeded in ensuring that we would have no hesitation in making a return trip or in recommending the hotel to our friends. Our thanks to Carine and Gwendoline in the spa for an excellent massage...and also to Melanie for taking good care of us at lunch in the Bistro which was another excellent experience with good food and discreet but effective service. If there was an area for improvement, I would suggest that the bedrooms could benefit from a little more creativity, some more artwork would help it feel it a little less minimalistic.. My partner would have preferred the hot water a few degrees hotter, but certainly not a problem.
All in all, we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and we wish the team the best of luck in putting La Cueillette on the map. We will certainly be back in the very near future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hugh B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meursault
Le Montrachet
#4 of 62 in Beaune
Chateau de Gilly
Chateau de Gilly
#1 of 2 in Gilly-les-Citeaux

Been to Chateau de Citeaux La Cueillette? Share your experiences!