“Removing Nervous Tension and Stress at the Spa of the Traditional Homes!”
Review of Cyprus Villages

Cyprus Villages
Ranked #1 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Tochni
Reviewed April 9, 2014

During my stay at the Traditional Homes in Tochni I had the opportunity to visit the Wellness Spa of the Lodge.

It is a surprise that there is a Wellness Spa at Tochni village with Sauna and Jacuzzi facilities and indeed it is a treat for several guests.

Check for Special Offers and Deals. Prices are unbeatable. Booking can also be made through the reception.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank greekcypriot2009

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I spent 2 amazing nights at Tochni. The village itself is quiet, peaceful and tranquil. Thanks to the novel idea of Mr. Sofronis, the village is filled with life the year round. You see, years back he had this bright idea to renovate a number of forcefully abandoned houses to give the village a welcome appearance of inns accommodating visitors coming from all over the world. I could not actually understand what the so called “Cyprus Villages” stood for, until I recently experienced it.

It happens that by mistake probably, the same Lodge appears on TripAdvisor with two names and this confused me a lot before coming here. The One is under the name “Cyprus Villages and ranks #2 out of 34 Speciality lodging in Larnaca, while the other appears under the name Cyprus Villages Traditional Homes and it ranks #1 out of 4 in Tochni. Both refer to the same hotel by the way, so better have this in mind.

ACOMMODATION: The concept oddly named “Cyprus Villages” comprises a number of nicely self-sufficient renovated houses or studios of 1 and 2 bedrooms. All of them have fully fitted kitchens, bath or shower, heating and air conditioning units, satellite TV, and have either balcony, patio or veranda. A number of them are clustered around a private shared pool in complexes of 4 - 5 units. All houses have their own character, offer the same comfort and are decorated with Cypriot antiques and artefacts. Even more impressive is that standing on the balcony gives a view over the whole village and surrounding mountains as they meet the sea.

My room was #2, impeccably clean and spacious, with a huge comfortable bed, decorated with several pillows and embroidered cushions, a wardrobe and a handy stand of tiny drawers. It had its own outside seating area with a table and a bench, -the perfect spot to enjoy the first cup of coffee in the morning before going for my breakfast. Two more sun loungers were out in the open area shared with the neighboring couple who also had their own.

What is taking place out here is magic and it is a site you seldom see elsewhere. You can feel it while having a walk through the village. Tourists pop out of their houses just like locals, you are greeted by several and you see smiling faces throughout the stroll. In reality tourists do live amongst the villagers, become friends with them and this is wonderful. What a unique opportunity to live in a traditional stone-built village home and settle into an easy-going Mediterranean lifestyle!

Here hospitality is beyond compare. Have in mind that guests have the opportunity to experience this in the village of Kalavasos and Psematismenos also, because the “Cyprus Villages” extend to these two other villages as well. This project which Sofronis had undertaken in the year 1987, to revive rural communities and preserve the traditional houses from bygone days has been a tremendously successful achievement. Thanks to him, we can experience this nowadays.

LOCATION: All 3 Villages mentioned above are centrally located halfway between Larnaca and Limassol and they are close to Governors Beach. They can also function as an ideal base to explore the island’s archaeological sites and amazingly beautiful trails. In Tochni, there is a local supermarket (not like you would probably imagine anyway) a bank, two or three taverns and some coffee shops, while the Airport is only 35 kms away.

RECEPTION: The two ladies at the reception, Angela and Marianna are very welcoming and friendly, but Marianna impressed me with her professionalism. She is an asset to the Company and I had long chats with her regarding the functioning of the business. She helped me a lot and showed me a bit around the premises. The welcoming was also warm and I was offered a welcoming glass of fresh orange juice upon arrival.

BREAKFAST: It was adequate with cereals, seasonal fruit, jam, marmalades and honey, eggs and sausage, yoghurt, ham and bacon, haloumi cheese & olives. Breakfast exceeded my expectations! I truly hate the idea of juice coming from cooling machines which are mostly color and sugar with some flavor of fruit. On the contrary I was happily surprised seeing my favorite carton fresh orange juice among other juices each morning at breakfast. For me it was a treat!

RESTAURANT: Well, the focal point is the Tochni Taverna where the meals are served. During the day you see few guests at breakfast only because sportsmen who stay here are up much earlier while those who want to spend more relaxing holidays wake up much later and have their own private plan. You have the feeling that not many people stay at the Cyprus villages, but for me each night was a different surprise. The last night it was fully booked and I could hardly find a seat. I showed up quite late assured that since there were a few people at breakfast it will be something similar in the evening. How wrong I had been!

Food is typically Cypriot and excellent consisting of local delicacies and traditional food cooked the way it has been for years. Portions are plentiful. The chef is not Cypriot however but the different dishes I tasted were tasty. Fresh herbs are used and local produce coming from the nearby farms and markets. There are plenty of vegetable options ideal for vegetarians. The restaurant is situated on the top of the hill offering panoramic and breathtaking views of the entire village and countryside. The staff might not be that professional, but they are doing their best to please and meet their guests demands. Service is ok even in times when there is rush you will see them prompt, discreet and very polite.

WI FI: Free Wi Fi internet access throughout the Taverna and the garden.

POOL: The pool is just big enough to swim a few strokes yet it can still be a bonus at the end of a hot day. Personally I am not fond of pools but I could have spent a couple of hours out there if I had along my bathing dress this time. I noticed that it is a popular spot and guests can enjoy a cooling dip over a nice refreshing drink or relaxing on the deck chairs around it.

ACTIVITIES: There is a Horse farm close by. Cycling on professional bikes with optional guided tours, or hiking and jogging on specially marked nature trails are a few of the activities a guest can enjoy here. The ladies at the reception are more than helpful to give the right information according to your interests and skills. There is also YOGA for individuals and groups.

WELLNESS SPA: There is a small Wellness Spa at Tochni village with Sauna and Jacuzzi facilities. The professional Beauty Holistic Massage Therapist happens to be a friend of mine, her name is Jacqueline and you can spot her at breakfast time each morning at the taverna. I have known her for years and I totally trust her as she is skillful and a very positive person. If you book a session with her, I am sure you will return for more. I highly recommend the Neck and Back Signature Massage which is what I had for €35 on a 35 minute treatment. It certainly reliefs tension and is done by using essential oils. Another option is the Package of Essence of Beauty or a Relaxation Aromatherapy Massage which is actually a therapeutic relaxing and detoxified massage. Don’t leave without at least trying one of the treatments Jacqueline will recommend.

HAVE IN MIND: Guests should bring their own toiletries (shampoo and bath gel) as these are not provided. Cleaners change sheets once a week and change towels every 3 days.
The village is not handicapped friendly, and if you have some problems do ask Mariana at the reception to give you the best alternative of the suitable house.
This place is not for people who are after night clubs, noise, discos, shopping etc. It is ideal though for nature lovers, as hiking, cycling, jogging, fishing, culture and yoga can be experienced at its best out here.
A car is also recommended especially if you want to see some of the island, unless you come for a couple of days like me. I used the ZHNONAS Buses from Finikoudes central bus stop (bus #401) for just €1.50 and there was a corresponding lorry at Kofinou –and a further 10 minute ride to Tochni. The total trip cost me just €1.50.

A STROLL THROUGH THE VILLAGE: As I walked through the picturesque village which is set on the slopes of two hills, I set my sight on stone-built houses that line the narrow streets winding their way up to the very old Church of Saint Constantinos and Eleni. I reached the village square and had a drink in the ‘kafenion’ coffee shop. I miss the name of the lady who is running it these days! Some locals were playing a game of tavli, (backgammon). The building itself looks like the kind of place that has just stepped out of 1920’s movie set, where every detail looks like it hasn’t changed for decades. Its thick walls are whitewashed, the wooden shutters are old but still retain their bright blue hue, and the paintings that hang proudly on the wall depict heroes from the 1050’s. (EOKA Struggle for independence). I had a look in the kitchen and spoke to the lady running it. I even had an invitation for lunch the next day but I thanked her and promised to try her cooking on my next visit. A couple who showed up to pay their lunch told me that they were quite satisfied with what they had and they found the cost reasonable too.

IN SHORT: A stay here provides a great alternative from the typical sun and sea holiday. I highly recommend the countryside as it shows the real life of the people in the Cypriot villages, from their warm welcoming, to the cute local tavern or the small museum tucked away in the village. I highly urge tourists not to leave Cyprus without experiencing at least one such stay. So, if you are after authentic places and you wish to enjoy the warm Cypriot hospitality this is the place to be!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank greekcypriot2009
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Tochni is an idyllic stone village midway between Larnaca and Limissol. When we arrived they didn't have the type of room we requested but the staff were quick to find an alternative. The staff were friendly and really care about making your vacation the best it can be. Cosy rooms, amazing scenery and excellent service. For a rustic, relaxing vacation this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Texantraveler_009
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We have just come back from a week at cyprus village in TOCHNI. The village is very pretty, not far from the coast. It's not touristy, it's like living amongst the villagers. They are so friendly in the village. We would recommend this if you like to have a relaxed and less touristy holiday. There is a shop, cash machine, cafe and tavernas. It's easy access to the motorway to visit the larger towns and not far from the airport so a good location.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ruth T
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We visited Tochni after being upgraded by Cyprus villages having booked for Kalavasos,traveling
as a family group ageing from 50/65,we arrived at the the Cyprus villages reception, not knowing anything about our accommodation greeted by a very pleasant receptionist whom took some of our party on foot to Yiannis holiday villa .The villa was very quaint great views of village,on the slight downside we were all taken aback by all the stairs and steep slopes to be negotiated you need to be reasonably fit having said that it is a village built on the sides of a valley. After looking
over our accommodation for the night we set of back up to the taverna for lunch stunning views,
and food with village wine!!!!! . Probably a good thing as our villa was not very well equipped
for self catering nor was the kitchen area very clean.That aside every thing else was great,
my wife and myself stay long term in a modern villa in Cyprus and it was good to stay in very old and quaint accommodation .

Room Tip: You need to be reasonably fit .
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Frank H
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I spent 2 nights here between attending a wedding in Napa and going to one in Paphos. Tucked away in the hills, even the taxi driver had trouble locating it..!

Our villa was really cosy, with a large comfy bed, kitchenette and a balcony overlooking the pool and the mountains, which at sunset, are beautiful. My girlfriend summed up the place as "Very Mama Mia" and it was a nice change from the busy strip in Napa.

The village itself is tiny, with one little shop, a café, amazing old church and a small restaurant. It's so peaceful, you get a real sense of 'authentic Cyprus' whilst wandering around the tiny streets.

In the evenings we ate at the Taverna on site, and the food was easily the best we had in our 2 weeks in Cyprus. Whole roasted Seabass, delicious Beef Stifado, the best Calamari we've ever had and great mixed Souvlaki. The hosts are extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome and looked after.

They also have a few well behaved cats - my girlfriend took a particular shine to Madonna and Chaplin, the 2 kittens there!

If we we're to go again we'd hire a car as there isn't any real way to get to the beach, or explore the hills and nearby attractions without one. There is horse riding a few minutes away which my girlfriend enjoyed, and it was reasonably priced at €40 for 2hrs including drop off and pick up.

If you're looking for a taste of real Cyprus in a beautiful location with amazing views and traditional food then you can't go far wrong here.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We spent a week in an apartment of Cyprus Villages in Tochni. Our apartment 'Danaehouse no. 1' consisted of a kitchen, a living room with an extra bed, a bedroom with a large single mattress double bed and a small bathroom with shower. I would not have wanted to cook in the kitchen as all the utensils and cupboards were not very clean. As we had booked half-board this was not a problem though. Breakfast was self-service with mostly just the cook around. It was expected that you clear your table afterwards. On offer are cereals, fruits, bread, toppings like cheese, sausage, jam, honey as well as cucumber, tomatoes and olives. There was also each morning a different offer of warm eggs, sausage, bacon, beans and the likes. The tavern has tables on a really nice terrace with a view over Tochni village and in the distance a cement plant and the Mediterranean sea. In the evening we could choose a starter and main course from the tavern menu. There are also some vegetarian options. On 3 evenings we were offered set menus which consisted of a variety of starters and main courses. In the end we also got a dessert as well and Cyprus coffee was included. On our last night there was also live music at the tavern. The food was always plentiful and tastes really good but after a week I was longing for a bit more variety. The service at dinner depended on whether the owner was around. Some evenings the tables were nicely set with wine glasses and candles. Other evenings we got the cutlery and glasses when the drinks and food were served. One evening we had to remind the waitress to serve dessert and another time she forgot about my Cyprus coffee. The waiters and waitresses didn't seem professionals but were friendly enough. At the beginning of our stay we noticed that our toilet was leaking. We had to move to a different apartment that was smaller. We complained that it was smaller and could move back a day later into our original apartment after the toilet had been fixed. Towels were supposed to be changed ever 2 days. From Tuesday to Friday our towels were not changed which was 3 days. It would have been nice if a cloth to wipe the chair and table outside would have been provided and dish washing liquid. These are things you don't usually take with you on a flight vacation due to the weight restrictions of the luggage.

Room Tip: Danaehouse is a group of houses round a pool near the tavern. Danaehouse no. 1 is a very nice ground...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CowgirlAtHeart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tochni
Mediterranean Beach Hotel
Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol
The Royal Apollonia
The Royal Apollonia
#7 of 56 in Limassol

Been to Cyprus Villages? Share your experiences!