“Best prize/quality”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Houffalize
Belgium Arendonk
“Best prize/quality”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

It is a big hotel. They don't serve kaviar at breakfast. The restaurant does not carry 3 stars. The rooms are not ovewhelming beautiful, en decorated with class furniture.
It is all true.
But:
- we payed 570 euro for a midweek (4 nights) for 2 adults an 2 kids, on half board (breakfast and dinner). This is 142 euro per person. I have lodged in hotels were I payd this amound for 1 night only......
- our room has a living room, and two bedrooms, and a 8 meter wide terrace at te backside wit a beautiful view over the hotel garden.
- breakfast was standard. Compared to what people probably eat at home, it was good: 4 different kinds of bread, fresh ham, salami and cheese, fruits a gogo, yoghurt, diet-corner, scrambled eggs or sunny side-up with bacon. Fres cooked while waiting..... I mean, a guy who complains bout this is very spoiled.Of course the coffe is instand. The same as in Marriot and Sheraton hotels we slept.
- for lunch there was always the choice of twee main dishes and a special kids corner (pasta, chicken....). There was also soup and a cold starter, and a wide range of desserts. and yes the desserts came out of the freezer. Ice-cream was available every day, and the drinks (Coca-Cola fountain with Fanta, Diet Coke , water and regular coke) was free to use as often as you wisged. Anbd it was no prblem if you carried a cup of soda out of the restaurant.
- lots of things to doe for the kids.
- animation (live band, magician....) every night.
- free parking outside or inside, and ther was always a free space, altough the hotel was full booked.
- the swimming pool was included, but you need to carry protection on your hed.

On minor tip: if you don't like the sound of playing kids: don't go there on high season.
Conclusion: it is not a WOW!!!!- hotel, but you get a lot for little money.

Room Tip: Ask for double family room or a spacious appartment (with kitchenette, and refrigerator)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MMStingray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Scotland
Reviewed April 27, 2012

The room is very basic and overpriced for what it is. Since the place is in the middle of nowhere, you are stuck with their food which is terrible and sometimes simply inedible. Three days of this was more than enough, as I was there for an event, but I pity people who end up there for vacation. Promised services do not exist; they have a large pool that is almost never open (in 3 and a half days I didn't get a single chance to use it, as it opens late, closes early, and is closed all day Monday). Wifi is only available in the lobby, which probably won't bother you too much if you are there for vacation, but it is annoying when you attend an event. I don't know what they did in my room but every time after it was "cleaned" there was such a bad smell I had to open the balcony for an hour. In general, the place is best to avoid, whether you consider it for vacation or as a meeting place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SKTT09

Travelers are raving about these Houffalize hotels

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We were there with a large classic car group. The location is very postcard pretty, but the building looks like something designed in Soviet Russia and built in the early 70's. Same inside - very dark bare brickwork and tired decoration in the bedrooms. The rooms all have energy saving lights that take forever to get bright, so don;t even think about getting up in the middle of the night for a trip to the loo!

We shared the hotel with 2 or 3 other large groups, one of whihc was Belgian young teenagers who were badly behaved and unsupervised. If you happen to be booking a group of 200, or a conference, this might be the place for you, but as an individual traveller, I;d look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank kevinw1957
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2011

There was originally 3 of us meant to be going but one dropped out. I think we had been booked into a Best Western in Charleroi but changed to a twin in Houffalize instead.

Houffalize is a really pretty place and in the snow it is postcard pretty! The hotel was really nice, biggest I have ever stayed in I think! In the summer it would have been wonderful (but a lot more money I am sure!)

The room was lovely and had no fault with it. I suppose the only thing we found strange was when using the hotel computers we could not access hotmail or facebook. Our mobiles didn't have a great signal and we wanted to let people know we were ok due to the dreadful weather. But not getting on facebook is hardly the end of the world!

We were a bit scared of the fancy sounding restaurant at the hotel (we're not fancy people) so we walked into the town in the snow, which was actually really nice, found a shop and brought snack food. Got back to the hotel and went to the bar for a drink - they served our kind of food in there (d'oh). But I'm glad we went for the walk. We would have eaten properly in Houffalize, but in general it seems like rather a fancy place!

Would stay again and would definitely like to see it in summer!

p.s. Due to the snow, it was so nice to be able to park my car under the hotel. No pesky scrapping in the morning!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 8, 2011

The room isn't ready before 17:00, that's way too late! My bed was sagged and the blankets were too thick/warm for this time of the year. The breakfast and diner are very poor for what you pay and the background music is set so loud, you can't enjoy a quiet meal. But the hotel wasn't why we were there; the mountainbiketrails are very nice. We had a great time outside the hotel. You don't need to buy the map, it's a waste of money. Just follow the sings...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jazzpr
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 4 days. I was on a WW2 tour to Bastogne. Houffalize is a beautiful town set in a valley. Trying to get to the hotel once you arrive can be tricky but the turn is opp the Panther tank. The hotel is pretty large & looks like it was built in the 70's. The rooms however are modern enough. Although I didnt use it,the hotel has a pool & slide and would be ideal for famillies. The restaurant has a holiday camp feel to it but the food although limited was fine. The lighting in my room was pretty poor & the shower tiny. We arrived on a sunday & the bar area was busy. For the next 3 days though the hotel was empty-perfect if you want peace & quiet.
All in all I enjoyed my stay &would use it again.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank rodzer
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed here with a tour group for one night. The outisde looks very old like it is begging for a renovation, but the inside is very nice and new. The hotel is actually very large so depending on where you are, you may have to walk a few bldgs. down to get to the business center or restaurant. I did eat at the resaurant and wasn't very impressed. There was alot to choose from; I might have just picked the wrong thing. All of the dishes were very different from anything I've seen in America so it's a good place to try something new. You did have to pay a small fee to use internet, but that was a year ago; it may have changed since then.

I didn't spend much time there, but it looked like there was a lot of outdoor activities offered. Some people were repelling down a nearby cliff, they had a couple of badmitton courts, a child's playground, and I'm pretty sure there was a pool somewhere. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with my stay. If I am ever in that area again, I will check in to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank Now4voyage
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houffalize
Hotel du Commerce
#1 of 2 in Marche-en-Famenne
L'Hostellerie du Panorama
L'Hostellerie du Panorama
#2 of 5 in Houffalize

Been to Hotel Ol Fosse d'Outh? Share your experiences!