“Great food, quirky service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of De Notelaer

De Notelaer
Ranked #7 of 41 Restaurants in Bornem
Cuisines: Belgian, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hale, United Kingdom
“Great food, quirky service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Two colleagues and I took a Belgian prospect for lunch to De Notelaer. I am always impressed when wait staff are able to fluently converse in a foreign language and, even in this small restaurant in a smaller village, this was the case. Everyone agreed that the food was excellent and eclectic. The waiter was humorous although a couple of his jokes fell flat we put this down to errors in translation. I am sure that next time that I am in the area I will return to De Notelaer and will likely stay at the hotel too!

Visited August 2013

Calgary, Canada
“Reasonable food; snooty service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

"No reservation? Oh, you can have the last table." So my husband was seated in the firing line of the kitchen exit, with the door threatening to swing into him every few minutes, and I was seated more or less in the middle of the restaurant in an exposed, awkward place. Other guests were greeted and asked to have their coats hung; we were not so had to have our jackets slung over the backs of the chairs. We were there for almost 2 hours and there were a number of tables that remained empty over the duration. My husband's sea bass was good, but my Indonesian chicken/shrimp was soaked in soy sauce and was just OK. Our desert of carmelized pancakes with apple were very good. Total bill with wine: 75e so not bad but the killer was the superior attitude and lack of any personability or friendliness amongst any of the 3 people that served us. Would not recommend for that reason.

• Visited September 2012